Episode 1 -remastered, Stupid Holly=bad move

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by shireknight, Nov 6, 2011.

1. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

Ok just watched the remastered version of episode one and I'm sorry but I think whoever added those extra Holly segments ruined the whole episode and in a way altered the premise of Red Dwarf, for the worst.

Red Dwarf is a comedy, we all know that and if you watch the Red dwarf crew and officers in series VIII they are played as a bunch of buffoons however if you watch the original version of "The End" everything is played straight, the captain and officers are all serious and Holly really does have a smart IQ and only turns stupid because he's been left alone in deep space for three million years.

However whoever has gone back and scripted the changes on the remastered version has done a huge injustice to the show because they have added in new lines for Holly which now show him as unbalanced before the accident takes place yet the crew still plays as serious which now doesn't make sense because a ship would simply never leave port with a loopy computer system.

Those CGI Skutter's look pretty rubbish as well :-(

Hope they do better with the rest of the episodes ;-)

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

They're not CGI!

Hang on, I'll put a call in to 1996... :-)

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

you will be disapointed

4. shireknight

They're not?

5. shireknight

Lol oh dear :lol:

6. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i came into red dwarf through the remastered shows thanx to bbcamerica and pbs. and loved it, when i got the dvd's i had to sit down and refelkt on the fact of the bbc using a shoestring budget and the fact the show started in the 80's . i love both versions

7. 57194q

57194q Guest

actualy i think it was rather good

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Nope. They were shot in front of a bluescreen and superimposed.

9. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Holly might very well be an old computer and in need of replacing before the accident. Before the accident, he just seemed a little eccentric but three million years later he seems to have developed full blown dementia and senility.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[*] how could rimmer run through cat and crash into something when he is a hologramme

[*] why is holly almost the same as he was before the accident as he was 3 million years later

[*] how can the superimposed taller looking skutters zoom past the corridor when they were walls there, or was it suppost to be skutters zooming past the screen as if you was at the cinema

either way its a case of they found these silly ideas more interesting then the idea of realism :-)

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Can we all just agree that the remastering was an abomination?

12. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i refuse to agree to that. bad idea, maybe. but not that. like i said that is how i was first introduced to the show. so it holds a special place for me

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There's only one bit of the remastering that I liked. In fact it's the only time the remastering was an improvement on the original. During an early scene in The End you can hear somebody talking over the PA system, but it's very faint and in the distance. It's very much the aural equivalent of a long cargo bay shot. In both cases it gives the viewer a good sense of the ship's enormity.

14. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Having bought all the re-mastered VIDEOS yonks ago I had forgot what they were like. Sooo, i recently bought the Bodysnacher collection on DVD and I have to agree here, that Ship PA bit in "The End" was the only bit that was better.

15. 57194q

57194q Guest

\
    why would rimmer run at the cat is the bigger question.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think they improved polymorph abit, but then they ruined it at same time by changing silly things like the ending and rimmers mums voice

and then there is the new holly scenes in early series 1 which just look out of place as he doesnt look or sound like he did

i could go on :-)

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This is one of the most baffling changes of the whole remastering project. Surely it was Mrs Rimmer's creaky old voice that gave that scene so much of its humour?

18. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

On a just-about-tangentially-related note, I completely agree with you in the post linked to there - that cargo bay shot was one of my favourite things about Back to Earth. Finally, FINALLY, we were given the ship described in the novels: for the first time it felt endlessly, impossibly huge and lonely from the INSIDE, as well as the outside.

19. 57194q

57194q Guest

i recon all the remastered episodes were remastered wrong:-(

20. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Remastered is brilliant - provided you don't watch it. When I was younger, I transferred some of remastered to cassette (Anyone remember those?) & it was an excellent audio play. Try it - it's good. Except for the walking sequence...

The footage, on the other hand, was hit & miss. I liked the ship, not the CGI. Weird, random cutting dictated Doug's humility. It did benefit from going through a newer editing suite though. Such a pity they didn't redo the keying - a missed opportunity there.

The biggest clanger of the remastered project in the UK: Charging nearly £100 for what is essentially a cut down video of the show.

What really gets my goat is people complaining about the Tannoy, the background chatter & the Disco music. The crew are dead, you know you only see them for 15 minutes until VIII. In my eyes, that's not just impatience, it's speaking ill of the dead (fictional or otherwise)

Besides, it makes the crew's death bitter sweet. Bitter being the silence of the dead, sweet being that got rid of the noisy overtalking smegheads.