Episode 1 -remastered, Stupid Holly=bad move

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by shireknight, Nov 6, 2011.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I didn't get far enought into watching the remastered rot to see this? What did they do? Dub over her? For what reason?

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Mrs Rimmer was meant to be a woman of a certain bearing - you'll notice the same actress is directed and performed very differently in Dimension Jump. In Polymorph she's much more squalky and...well, earthy. Arguably the dubbed voice brings the character closer to how the writers intended her: more sexual and more snooty. I imagine that was the intent.

3. bedfordfalls

I just watched it on Youtube. It was quite painful. The dub itself was really obvious and seemed poorly synched (although that could have been typical youtube lag) and was a scene ruiner for me, it was so distracting. I also felt the new actress delivered the lines rather flatly with none of the character that the original displayed.

This is a good example of the different way that creators and viewers look upon their work though. Things that fans would never notice or even enjoy seem to really irritate Doug. I'd be surprised if anyone watching the original Polymorph felt aggrieved or disappointed by the portrayal of Mrs. Rimmer. The earthier side of her never really struck me as odd or out of place because it just seemed that finding out his prim and proper mother had this side to her (which was hardly a secret to begin with) was a great way of suitably enraging Rimmer.

4. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

since i have the dvd's i haven't seen the remasterd stuff for a long time. i think they might have been trying to make her speech easier to the american ear. the orgianl voice was hard to understand for my family, the subtitiles helped there. listening to it now after many, many viewings of the origianl makes me squrim a bit.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Seein as only 3 seasons were remastered i feel it sux for the people who can only watch the remastered as rimmers mums voice will be different in 3 and 4 in such a big way that it will leaves sum very confused.

As well as the ship change

6. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Personally I don't see the big deal.
    Unlike Lucas, Doug Naylor has said you can take or leave whatever version you want.
    Lucas on the other hand has taken away the other versions forcing us to live with it.

I think the remastered has its merits as do the originals.

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Agreed, while i'm not a massive fan of the remastered versions, i don't think it's all bad. Over all i much prefere series 1 and 2 in their origional form (and must admit much of what they did with series 1 makes me cringe a bit at times). But i thought some of the additional stuff in series 3 actually worked pretty well. Such as the chase scene in Body swap for example...although i'm sure some may dissagree, but i for one found it quite impressive. It seems to suit the feel of the series very well in places (in my opinion at least) Having said that, i still tend to opt for the originals, but yeah, i think there is some good to be taken from the remasterd editions. It all depends on ones personal taste i guess (as well as which version we saw first in many cases i would imagine)

8. thecogre

9. bedfordfalls

It's a little odd to me that Americans would have problems understanding the original Mrs Rimmer, her "accent" was quite ordinary and spoken in more or less received pronunciation. I find it hard to understand how anyone who can comprehend Lister's heavy scouse accent and colloquialisms would struggle to recognise Mrs Rimmer...not that I'm doubting you, it just seems odd to me.

10. thecogre

we are an odd lot, lister was hard at first but after tuning my ear it is quite easy and with the help of you guys on that side of the pond to help make scouse to american translations. and with just the banter indeed. it is a break from the drivel the keep trying to forcefeed us.

11. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I'm American and I had less trouble understanding her than I did Lister in the beginning...

12. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

Just watched the text commentary for episode one where they tell you what was changed and they said they blatantly changed the show to bring it in line with the later series and make things clearer, speeches better timed etc so as they re-recorded and changed Holly's lines after Lister comes out of stasis I wonder why they didn't take the opportunity to change the segment where it's explained that Rimmer caused the accident which killed the crew considering It's proved later on Justice world that he had nothing to do with the accident :?:

13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It wasn't proven he had nothing to do with the accident. It was merely shown that he was too incompetent to be held responsible for his negligence.

14. shireknight

No it was proved that he never held a position on the ship which would allow him to go anywhere near the drive plates, the only reason he felt responsible for the destruction of the ship was because he considered himself important but in fact his position was such that he would never be allowed to go anywhere near such an important area of the ship to as do anything that could cause such an accident.

15. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

I think you missed the point.

He caused the accident, but the approach to the defense in Justice was that anyone allowing a man like Rimmer access to such a vital area of the ship was REALLY the one to blame.

16. Paul Taylor

Funny, that wasn't my interpretation at all. My reading of it was that he was directly responsible for the drive plate failure, but was so incompetent that he should never have been given that responsibility, and so shouldn't be punished.

17. shireknight

Hmm you both read the episode differently from me so I shall watch it again and see if I did indeed assume the wrong inference into Kryten's defence :-(

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I have to say that my interpretation has always been the same as yours. And a read of the script has only reinforced it.

19. Paul Taylor

This is interesting! I felt fairly certain I had understood that whole episode pretty well. It's one of my favourite episodes. It seems I may be able to watch it in a different light.:-)

Curious to find out what others think.

20. Paul Taylor

I've just rewatched 'Justice'. I think I had misunderstood the situation. I think there is little doubt Rimmer was responsible for the radiation leak, due to his inadequate repairs on the drive plates. However, I think Kryten's defence strategy was to prove he was far too pathetic for anyone to have given him that responsibility, therefore his belief he caused the accident stems from his own self-important delusions.