Episode 1 -remastered, Stupid Holly=bad move

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by shireknight, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

There's never been any suggestion that there was an intentional 'change of continuity', so much as just the guys doing their usual riffing and prioritising - going for a solution to the episode's plot rather than worrying about such things. The Justice computer is beaten, is the point.

There's no apparent aim to rewrite Dwarf lore than there is with the end of Timeslides, where Series I, II and half of III must have happened very differently since Rimmer was apparently now alive during them. They just wanted a gag to finish on - no concern was given to what this meant for the plot of Stasis Leak. (Which would have gone VERY differently had Rimmer not been a hologram looking to save his own life.)

Rimmer failed to repair the drive plate. That implication is even called back in Series VIII. And, crucially, Rimmer never objects to the one key point: that his job involved repairing drive plates. Had the intention been to rewrite that continuity , that was the time to do it.

2. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

to me, nothing was destroyed considering I didn't actually begin watching Red Dwarf until the DVD Remastered versions came out. Of course, that being said... I couldn't totally cope with the new technological advancements they have in Back to Earth. If you ask me, having the crew pretend there is a scutter or a monster in front of them is going to be much more difficult and a bit of getting used to. I'm sure they had good time filming, but they also didn't find it as enjoyable to pretend. In many ways Red Dwarf is meant to stay old school, and graphical effects were never important to the show. I had always found it funny seeing a goofed up looking puppet to be honest, the idea of seeing Mr.Flibbles in CGI would be kind of silly... but that is in the extreme. It definitely would make it harder for people to watch the show and would ultimately ruin part of the art in Red Dwarf. And to me, it'd be the ultimate mistake over any remastered material... oh yeah and the lack of laughing tracks.

Ever think of it this way, horror movies these days. The only ones that use these graphical effects ALOT are the ones that love gore and murder, and are poorly developed with no taste. The ones that are good are just plane dark, use a lot of old school materials... and don't use a lot of nasty sex scenes. In my ideal perspective, it goes the same with humor. I don't enjoy looking at too many graphical effects at once because it distracts me from the humor.

3. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

But why would Flibble be in CGI? He was a glove puppet.

4. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

I was just joking, I mentioned it would be extreme. Someone once mentioned that the reason they are using CGI is because of the expenses of making a lot materials, if that were so... then it would also make sense to say that they couldn't spend much on the furniture and other stuff but clearly they have lol!

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'll bet, at some point, if Red Dwarf goes on for another couple of series, they'll be some sort of holographic malfunction that resurrects Flibble as a psychotic holographic penguin puppet with a life of his own and the ability to move about on his own, and you'll get your CGI Mr Flibble running about chasing the crew. And all the hardcore fans will HATE it!:lol:

6. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

Watched episode two now and I feel compelled to comment on the scene in the drive room where Lister is transferring the data stream to/from the navicom.

The text commentary says the sound was changed to increase the tension in the scene yet while I was watching it the first time without the text commentary I was wondering why they had reduced the tension in the scene lol.

Does anyone here prefer the new version of this scene compared to the old one please?

7. GARNER2015

GARNER2015 Third Technician

The skutters are not cgi they are on bluescreen

8. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I remember being in school when the Remastered episodes aired and two pieces of remastering got us all talking back then

Number 1: Blue Midget staggering about being drunk flown by Lister (much better than the wobbly model shot trying to convey the same point)

And especially:

Number 2: The chase THROUGH the asteroid in Bodyswap (complete with the right colour midget referenced! ;-) )

These two things I think were massive improvements and its a shame the Remastering gets such stick, imo as some of it can be quiet good.

The shot of RD zooming off to "warp" is another good one.

9. Psyckosama

Psyckosama Skutter

I don't like the remaster either. Takes away some of the series charm. I just doesn't work right.

10. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I've only just got around to reading this. Soz!:eek:ops: I envy you that you were at school with people who gave a smeg about Red Dwarf.

11. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

For me, the remastering would have been okay if good comedy dialogue hadn't been sacrificed and cut. With the exception of that, I think the remstered are actually really good.

That said, I haven't seen the remastered since...well, since Hector were a pup!

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That's pretty much how I feel. I quite liked some of the new animations surrounding Starbug and Blue Midget in particular.

That's not to say the original model work wasn't good either. The zippy asteroid sequence where the two ships chase each other in Body Swap was actually quite exciting and had a different feel to other crashed ship sequences. The ship itself looked a bit static mind you (i.e we view Starbug from behind and it didn't really change position as it moved through the caverns).

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

'Tis a great example. I love that remastered chase sequence :-) In fact i have much fewer comlpaints with the remastering of series 3 over all really. I really wasn't keen on much of what they did with series 1 and 2 though, although there are probably a few improvments in there, but for me they get overshadowed by some quite dodgy decisions.

I really don't get that so called 'filmic' (or whatever) look they added either, and the aspect ratio was pretty odd too. Another moany complaint of mine would be some of the changes in music cues. Although there is a chance some of that may be slightly biased, based on my previous emotional attachment to the show in it's original form. Which is often just as pursuasive as the "audience effect" only slightly in reverse, if that makes sense.

14. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I have never seen any of the re mastered stuff. Being a dwarf fan since the beginning It might sound odd, I never fancied getting them though. I am curious now though after all these years. I wouldn't mind seeing the cargo shot, the voice dub and the chase scene. I would imagine they are available on you tube

15. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Mastering the series was a shameless money making exercise with NO concern for quality.

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Not true.

17. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

REmastering the series. Mastering is the process of making a master edit to copied for tapes.1988 would have been the Mastering, though you may be accidentally right in your error.

However, the spirit of your post is entirely wrong. The changed design of the ship & edited dialogue were because of quality concerns.

Some of Remastered worked too, including the formation of a series I & II stereo soundtrack not only usable for dubbing but used to create a stereo soundtrack for the DVDs. Early seasons actually benefited from well chosen library tracks & the addition of the now standard SFX.

I defend to my death that Remastered's audio can beat the original edit hands down. If only the visuals did. :-(

18. Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third

Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third Third Technician

I for one do enjoy the originals more than the Re-Mastered shows but as stated above there are some really well chosen pieces of library music such as 'Trilogy' (which is played as Lister is put in stasis).
    My major gripe with the series is the inconsistancy of the scenes involving the CGI ship. some are quite nicely done such as the new end credit sequence but some are really bad, such as some of the fly bys end up with Red Dwarf looking like its about to keel over as it fly past the camera, I actually think that the Blue Midget is much better than the model version though (I'm a big advocate of models over CGI).
    I do pull them from the shelf from time to time for a viewing but I know they can never replace the beloved originals in my heart. Each to their own :-)

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Did it make it funnier?

20. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

No. :-(

Was remastering meant make it funnier or make it a better looking comedy programme for an international audience?

Business defines 'Quality' as a state of being free from defects & deficiencies. 8)

Now, you may have forgiven the 1988 edit for it's deficiences (Or tolerated them, as Colin Baker may put it) but don't pretend those defects & deficiencies are not there. That edit is still as much a dog as it ever was.
    Everybody keeps saying Doug changed so much but he got rid of more defects & deficiencies from the original episodes than their combined incompetence could ever put in.