Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pad_ehh, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm not convinced Howard was dragged across time as well as space, although I understand why people think that, as I does make you wonder what the rest of his crew were. I don't take that to mean he has been a hologram for three million years though. He may have been switched on at a later date, much like his brother was. So it's quite possible he has seen other 4000 series droids in that time period.

Even if he has been dragged through time, I don't find it much of a stretch that he would recognise Rimmer as a mechanoid though. That funny shaped head and big metal body is a bit of a give-away, and as the choice seems to be between 'android/mechanoid' and 'simulant' and as he has no biological parts (apart from a bit of his brain, which we don't see) he would fit in the former category.

There is a lot of untold history concerning Howard Rimmer and Sim Crawford. While I think it's a shame we don't learn more, I can see why it was left out. It wouldn't really affect the plot of this episode.

2. mimomovie

mimomovie Skutter

the show almost had a 'reboot' feel about it - much in the way that hollywood seems to be going remaking, or reinventing, older films. i think that's a good thing - you didn't need to be a die hard red dwarf fan to enjoy it and didn't have to have seen all the other shows to appreciate it.

i also thought that the new red dwarf ship looked fantastic - it certainly looks better being 'short and fat' rather than 'long and thin'! if anything the new ship definitely makes starbug look dated now - its a pity they couldn't have worked their magic and come up with an equally impressive shuttle too (i didn't like the look of the one you see in the opening titles either).

3. mrbob2

mrbob2 Skutter

I love red dwarf and looking back over the last 8 series i cant really think of any that were "bad" i know people say some series started good and went bad etc but i guess you cant have every single episode and every second of dialogue an absolute classic.

Back to reality was a let down as it wasnt classic red dwarf, nice that they did something new, but not really a proper series.

Series 10 however for me feels like they have never been away! incredible really, i did actually laugh out loud and thats not something i do often. Its not fair to be over crititical of series X as were only 1 show in, best to watch them all and then say if its better than 8,7,6 etc. I thought TROJAN (strangely i did think it would be about black ribbed knoblers though lol) had very funny moments, characters were back on form, classic red dwarf.

Hope the nest episodes "expand" the sets and venture out more as this episode seemed to have been filmed in 3 locations, cockpit, main ship deck and corridor.

Has dave got the budget of bbc2? i hope that wont be a factor in the quality of the series. Its not been about the CGI or "quality" of the props, but the expanse of the red dwarf universe they exist in.

One thing that im not a fan of is studio lighting, if you can see the bright studio lights reflecting off rimmers head you loose the belief their in a grimy, old spaceship.

What folks have to realise is we have seen series 1-8 many times, over the many years that pass, the episodes become classics and anything new is hard to be "fond" off so hopefully when were watching series 15 we will look back and say oh yes, its not as good as series x,8,7,6 etc lol

All in all im very happy with series X so far, it doesnt disappoint, it doesnt exceed my expectations and blow me away, it just gets the one thing right we have all be waiting for

Red dwarf is back and its smegging awesome!

4. Antjac

Antjac Third Technician

Anyone know when the full ratings will be out? Including PVR. timeshift etc? Be interesting to know the amount of times it was downloaded via Itunes too

5. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

It'll take a couple of weeks to get all the ratings in, but bear in mind, on Freeview, BTE got more viewers on its plus one channel than on the original channel, on that night. Dave plus one is no longer on Freeview, not to mention the fact that many program's got good ratings on Thursday. I can't imagine the 1.5m will rise that much.

6. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

That was the joke.

7. TheSmeggingPasty

TheSmeggingPasty Third Technician

It is. That's where I watched Trojan. It's branded as Dave Ja Vu.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Blue Midget sounds like a lawnmower in the opening titles.

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Anyone else notice that Howard's dying music is a slower and sadder sounding version of the Munchkin Song from the episode Blue?

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes.

11. Slainmonkey

I must have missed that post

12. Ally1990

Dave ja Vu is only on Freeview between 2.00am and 4.00am. Google it. There was a big fuss when they took it off. It's still on other platforms. I know. I have Freeview and it says 'closed' on mine.

13. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Thanks for the review, Karnie.

Just one thing. The plural of synopsis is synopses. (A plural is never, ever, denoted by an apostrophe.)

14. TheSmeggingPasty

This could be a regional thing. Here, it closes down at 1am.

Did anyone notice Craig's croaky voice this episode?

15. Ally1990

Strange that, about Dave ja Vu. Certainly 2.00am here in North Yorkshire.

About Craig: I just attributed his voice to his age. His eyes weren't always fully open either. Maybe he wasn't well. I remember one scene in the trailer where he was wrapped up in a blanket. Probably story related, but still...

16. Slainmonkey

Craig Charles' voice cracked.....it took him this long

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i believe it probably is story related, and craig is a smoker it does change your voice over time

18. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Fixed, thanks! (Don't worry, I'll actually have an editor on the book..) :-D

19. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I think it possible that the space corps vessel Howard served on, which was mentioned as being superior to Red Dwarf, would be able to sustain more than one hologram. Theres no reason the whole crew couldn't be hard light holograms, which Sim murdered whilst howard hid.

20. TheSmeggingPasty

Hmm, If I started correcting people's mistakes on here I'd become obsessed! Especially those users who don't know the difference between 'then' and 'than'... You know who you are ;-)

Also, I can't be arsed to self-edit so I'd probably end up being a total hypocrite.