Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by PFMC84, Oct 4, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

another reason why its a shame more wasn't explained really

2. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Does anyone else think Howard's H is bigger than Rimmers? Wonder if it was a way to emphasise how Rimmer sees him, being bigger than him. Or I could be seeing things.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

In Dave's gallery of Trojan, they included this still which features a character not seen in the aired episode:

http://uktv.co.uk/dave/gallery/aid/654269/image/30145#gallery

Deleted scene?

Hoping speculating on this isn't contravening spoiler policies as Dave does claim it is from the Trojan shoot but people have also been speculating on this character in the spoiler thread.

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

More like wrong episode

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Could be that too...I could see him fitting into Trojan though as he looks like he's medically assisting Rimmer.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

seeing as the trojan will possibly be involved in later episodes its very possible that pik is from next weeks episode

7. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Currently watching it for the second time. I'm finding it better on the second watch.

8. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Wait a tick--
    in this teaser which we've all seen, Kryten states: "A bi-product of the rod's ability to transport its host vessel seems to be a curious power of synchronicity"

The Rod...transport host vessel.... The Quantum Rod?

Looks like we have a little bit of an ongoing story.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I actually found it to be the same second time around, but my opinion of the episode improved on my third watch.

I've actually come across a lot of people now who said that rewatching Trojan improved their opinion of the episode, which is a trick that all good Red Dwarf episodes manage to pull off: they get better with each new viewing because you notice things you missed the previous times such as the strength of the characterisation, acting, writing and so on.

10. Yule Sleigher

Ooooh! I look forward to seeing it a third time, then. I agree that the best episodes of Red Dwarf improve with further viewings, because of the reasons you've said but also because you can learn to ignore some of the bits that don't quite hit your particular spot because you know better is to come. This I think will be particularly true of "Trojan". Some of the jokes seemed a bit flat when I first saw them (in spite of the hysterical reactions of the audience) but those jokes were often followed up with much funnier material. It shows a move away from the formulaic gags of even some of the better series of dwarf, and back to its sit-com roots.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm in real anticipation of episode 2 now. Isn't it a great feeling having a new Red Dwarf episode to look forward to each week?

Despite how much I liked Trojan, I'd still only rank it at about 30th in my all-time list of favourite episodes, so I'm hoping this is the weakest episode of the series. I hope it mirrors the excellent series 6 in that the opening episode turns out to be my least favourite.

12. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

It sure is :-) I'm looking forward to watching Trojan for the third time later, and next Thursday can't come soon enough.

13. Yule Sleigher

It is great having new red Dwarf to look forward to and discuss with fans each week, but at the same time I don't watch much on TV these days, and usually watch DVDs, so waiting a week before seeing the next episode of my favourite TV programme is a right thump in the rump!

I think "Trojan" will probably be remembered as a good episode, but for the series to be thought of as good we need at least a couple of better ones later on, and perhaps at least one really classic episode. If the variety is there, I'm sure we'll get what we want. One of the things that surprised and elated me from a cast who have clocked a few light-years is how frenetic it all was. Especially knowing it was all filmed in front of an audience, so they had to pretty much maintain their energy throughout. It's been described here as "cartoony", like series VIII, which is perhaps true and will disappoint some, but the fact they're all still up for it bodes positively for the rest of the series.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

From an objective point of view, I now consider Trojan to be better than every episode from series 7 to 9. I also consider it better than the following episodes from series 1 to 4:

• The End
    • Balance of Power
    • Waiting for God
    • Kryten
    • Parallel Universe
    • Backwards
    • The Last Day
    • Camille
    • DNA
    • Meltdown

15. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I'd agree with most of those except perhaps Backwards and DNA.

If you think the episode gets good by a third watch, it gets really good by a seventh watch.

The look on Kryten's face after Rimmer says all they did was hose him down and gave him a hat is just priceless. It's everything that Kryten is. He may strong as a character but he's still vulnerable and be hurt by comments like Rimmers, and I'm glad that still there. I think it grounds him. I think it's one of the reasons you love him. And the cherry to the scene was that it enforced the whole 'Rimmer is a bastard' characteristic. It really worked for me.

16. Yule Sleigher

You got your books in Waterstones? Epic! Well done!

Good review. I enjoyed reading it. Pretty well covers everything.:-D

17. popcorn34

popcorn34 Third Technician

If Trojan IS the weakest episode of Series X then I am going to LOVE this series.

Mark Dexter is quite possibly my most favourite guest actor in Red Dwarf.

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Is that your review?

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I would rank it compared to the first 6 series probably put it about on par with Waiting for God and Parallel Universe but better then Meltdown and Emohawk.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

personally id rank it better then any episode in series 8 and think its quite close to series 7

listers phone rant should have been cut abit shorter as it went on far to long and the whole ship computer ending didn't quite have the impact it should of had for me