Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pad_ehh, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'd rate it better than any series VIII episode, and I'm a fan of series VIII. I think it blows series VII out of the water.

2. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Yessir, it is.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i hope it is the weakest of the new run as that review says :-)

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

After watching for the third & fourth time today I'm really liking it and it's pushed my rating up from 7/10 to 7.5/10 :-) :-)

5. danatblair

danatblair Third Technician

I'm an American studying in the UK currently. I was really thrilled with it. I'm excited to be able to watch the series legally when it is new. (I bought an itunes subscription in the uk store) Series 1-8 I watched whenever they were imported. BTE was originally something I watched on Youtube. I have since bought BTE (it only seemed fair to pay for it in return), but I'm glad I can watch it without feeling guilty or waiting forever. Besides I want more Red Dwarf so I will gladly pay to support it, given the opportunity.

Overall I consider this to be somewhere between series 6 and 7 in terms of how much it made me laugh. I really didn't care for series 8. And BTE was okay, but it felt a bit tired. Based on the clips I have seen and snippets of info I have heard- I am looking forward to this series.

6. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I now feel an 8 is in order, I'm about to commence by ninth viewing. Still looking forward to it, and STILL LAUGHING AT THE HAT JOKE!!!

7. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Well done, I've seen eight times as well and it does not get old or any less funny. That's the mark of a great piece of television.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm so far behind you people. I've only watched Trojan three times so far.

9. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I have watched it 7 times now and have really enjoyed it. The first viewing I was a bit worried, the first 5 minutes with that Moose joke seemed to be a bit drawn out and I was worried the rest of the show was going to regress into S8 but, when the reveal came with Rimmer and the rest of the crew I realised how well set up it was.

Fantasic first episode 8.5/10

As for the model footage, Wonderful:-D

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I've only seen it twice!

I'm not really into rewatching something just after seeing it though (well unless I'm watching with commentaries) although I make an exception with Dwarf episodes, but just the once. Not because I don't enjoy it, I just find that sometimes even good episodes can be a bit boring if I see them too often. Not through any fault of the episode, simply because I know what's going to happen! (Of course, I know what's going to happen if I give it more time too but it still feels more fresh somehow.)

11. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Ok, so I love stats. Here's how I rate different aspects of Trojan...

STORYLINE
    8/10 - I thought the storyline was good and well written, although the chance of having Rimmers brother turning up I wasn't too keen on... but it turned out okay anyway! Still I think it was a great episode and if the rest of the series is like this then I for one would be very very (very) happy.

JOKES
    9/10 - Thought the jokes were bang on in this episode. Obviously the moose gag was right up there with the best (and yes I do mean of any RD episode), but there were other classics that I've watched quite a few times since the episode first aired. Including the Rimmer seat gag, and also the brilliantly performed 'turning right' gag, subtle but done perfectly.

RIMMER
    8/10 - Chris seemed to love the return to his role. Sometimes it was a bit over done (like the shouting when he didn't pass the exam), but overall I thought he did a great job.

LISTER
    7/10 - Not sure why I wasn't so keen on Lister in this episode, can't really put my finger on it, but there seemed to be something lacking. Although I did like the moose bit where he said he the 'antlers through the sun roof' line, and I loved the 'overacting' bit when he wanted to answer the phone. Maybe the reason I didn't seem to click with Lister was because he wasn't the centre of the episode that he ended up taking a back seat. I look forward to seeing a more Lister centred episode (could be this Thursday!) then I'll be able to get a better idea.

CAT
    10/10 - LOVED cat in this episode. All the old things came back from him spinning round as he left and screaming his cat scream, to him being a little bit daft. I think the writing for him was SPOT ON! Best he's been for such a long time it was wonderful to see.

KRYTEN
    9/10 - Thought Robert did what I expected, that being he reprised his role perfectly. There was none of the crying (like he did in the later series which tended to annoy me a bit) but he had some really funny scenes, especially the erasing his memory scene and (again) the good old moose gag. 'It's a moose!"

OVERALL
    8/10 - Couldn't have wished for more, all things considered!

RAGE

12. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

There's already a thread for this!:x Only kidding!;-)

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

ninth viewing!!! Bloomin' ell! :?

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Another thing I found the whole resentment drain thing as how it was used to defeat Crawford was rather derivative of the whole nega-drive thing in Beyond a Joke.

15. Sparky

Sparky Supply Officer

I've only seen it the once and I have to say my first impressions were... it was ok, certainly not brilliant but a lot better than BtE! I'd give it a 6/10.

Best joke was the 'no, we hosed him down and gave him a hat' which is destined to be a Dwarf classic. The moose running joke took far too long and wasn't particularly funny, though Cat's punchlines were great.

16. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Don't remember that.

17. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

Really, really good episode. Many great lines. Felt like classic Dwarf, but new.

Some personal favorites:

* The "we hosed him off and gave him a hat" line about Kryten.
    * Dubbing Cat "Gerald Hampton" and Kryten "Kryten Krytinski"
    * Rimmer revealing to Howard he only "had" one car, not two, at the end.

And the all-time best line/scene in the episode:

* The payoff of the running moose gag. Rimmer says to Cat "Aaaaahhhhh, I knew I could count on you!"
    * Finally, when Rimmer is setting up the scene for Cat and Cat whirls around and says "What accident?!" Oh man, best Dwarf line in as long as I can remember. I laugh out loud just thinking about it.

18. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

That is a line I haven't seen too many people mention (other than me) but you're 100% right, it felt like the skittish, jumpy kind of reaction Cat would have once used in the first couple of series. Danny could have done it in a dopey way but the way he whirled around made the moment.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've watched it a fourth time. It's not as fantastic as some people have been making out. It's the best Red Dwarf since Out of Time, but if this were a series 1 to 6 episode, it would be considered average at best. It was good, but don't lose perspective.

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

If it were season 1 to 6 it would probably be the 3rd worst behind Meltdown and Emohawk to be honest