Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by PFMC84, Oct 4, 2012.

1. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

That's a matter of perspective, though - Meltdown and Emohawk are two of my personal favourite episodes (Meltdown in particular has one of my all time favourite scenes with the "Winnie The Pooh" bit).

2. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Alternatively, how about you let other people have their opinions, which are just as valid as yours?

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm fond of Meltdown too. Most fans seem to have a low opinion of it, but I think it's a well-written Rimmer episode.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Where did I suggest that other people's opinions aren't as valid as mine?

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well my perspective is the only one from which I can speak from, both episodes had a few good lines but felt weak to me, Emohawk to me just felt like a very tired retread of past glories.

For me it was full of some of the most annoying guest appearances of the shows entire run, Wax Laurel and Wax Elvis (people will kill me) I found to be particularly unbearable, Barrie's performance was TOO MUCH and Lister's yammering on with his big anti war speech when all their deaths were kinda Lister's fault for messing up Rimmer's mind by sucking on his light bee bugs the crap out of me every time. There are some good joke but with all that it's not an episode I like.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Because you said "it's not as fantastic as some people have been making out", and "don't lose perspective". You made it sound like you're the single arbiter of quality. Which you're not. Nothing about your post had a "this is my opinion" tone, more of a "you're wrong if you think anything other than this tone". To some people, it IS as fantastic as they've been making out. Otherwise, they wouldn't be making it out that way.

I was perhaps a bit snappy, for which I apologise, but this internet habit of people stating their opinions as fact, rather than qualifying them as opinion, really gets my feckles up.

7. Urgamanix

Urgamanix Third Technician

From what I can see Bluey wasn't really pushing his opinions onto others. You're being way too touchy too often. I love the new series but I don't feel like he was telling me I was wrong.

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

"It's hackles...It really gets your "hackles" up. There's no such word as "feckles"!"

9. Slainmonkey

you censored that line more then the DAVE did to the episodes on the Red Dwarf weekends

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Haha, Well, yeah I used artistic license to edit that quote, probably didn't need to really as I know Seb knows what it's in reference too...I guess it's just my polite side coming out, perhaps unnecessarily so in this case.

But yeah, some of those Dave edits were a bit...odd, weren't they?

11. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

12. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Even though its insane and suicidal I'm afraid I have to be on Blueys corner here. He didn't claim to have the only opinion that mattered.

Anyway...watching an episode too much in a short space of time can do more damage than good. "You have been warned."

13. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I've already apologised for the snappiness, and I don't want to turn this into a Thing, but I feel obligated to defend my initial point: which is that "don't lose perspective" is an imperative. As a piece of phrasing, it is more forceful than simply expressing an opinion, as it also suggests that other people should "correct" theirs.

I know it's quibbling over semantics, but it's a point worth making. There are a range of perfectly valid opinions over the episode, and - save perhaps someone saying "Doug Naylor has destroyed my faith in humanity with that episode, I will now go on a killing spree", or "Doug Naylor has shown himself to be the one true God with that episode, I must throw away all my belongings and go on a pilgrimage to worship him" - I don't think anyone expressing any of those opinions needs to worry about a loss of perspective.

14. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Honestly, this place is ridiculously strict with language and the way people should or shouldn't talk to each other. It's kind of pathetic.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's strict on language because it's intended to be accessible by a wide audience. We don't want to have to put up "Not suitable for kids" or "Not safe for work" notices everywhere.

It's strict on spoilers because the production company don't want plot information giving away on a forum that they themselves are hosting. Bit of a no brainer, really.

It's strict on civility because... well, because that's simply how people should speak to one-another. If you're telling me you don't think people should be respectful and civil in the way they talk to one-another, then I'd suggest that's more your problem than mine.

This forum's very existence is funded and supported by Grant Naylor Productions, and this is how they want it to be. If you don't like it, nobody's forcing you to post here.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

For what it's worth I like it that way. That's one of the reasons I post here and read stuff here. I especially appreciate the spoiler policy which has made it possible so far for me to almost completely avoid any spoilers of RDX to date. I'm sure there are plenty of internet fora out there where you could go and say whatever you want however you want if that's what you're interested in.

17. TouchT1701

TouchT1701 Third Technician

I just want to chime in with my "opinion" real quick, as am tired and off to sleep soon... but I sure had the same reservations and initial reactions as some, such as, " Wow, they look a lot older since Back To Earth, Man, the audience will laugh at anything, and some what the heck moments here and there. " I had enjoyed it but was a little underwhelmed. Then I watched it again later. Then again much later. I found new stuff amusing each time. I accepted the "newness." I found myself thinking, hey, I am really glad this GOT made!!! :-D

Nevertheless, I do see points of detraction, and I am also hoping it's a bottom dweller, mainly, because I want the rest to be just as good or better! ;-)

I never had a favorite season. I do have shows that I don't like as much, but I usually just forget about them, unless I see them again or someone else brings it up. I felt Back To Earth was okay; had it's moments, but especially, I was just appreciative that I had some new Red Dwarf at all!

Okay, off to bed with me... I can't wait til the next episode! :-D

18. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I thought they looked better than they did in BTE, in fact Chris Barrie looked younger because he looked less folically challenged, was that a WIG ? Anyway i think makeup, costume and camera people did a fantastic job of recapturing the feel.

19. Slainmonkey

Really? Only ones I thought looked older was Craig who's a bit more jowly now and Robert who let's be honest is starting to show his age even in the kryten costume (not that I mind). Danny looks about the same though with a more over the top wig and Chris Barrie looks better then he did in BTE now looking as though his trimmed down and healthier and doesn't have hair that looked like pubes this time.

20. SleepySoul

SleepySoul Third Technician

It's funny, Meltdown is one of my favourites yet I feel quarantine was average, for a dwarf ep anyway. Loved Trojan and was honoured to see the premiere last wed. Looking forward to see the final edit of Lemons as well.