Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pad_ehh, Oct 4, 2012.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Lots of the humour in RD is "non-family friendly". Why should the board be different?

2. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I don't want to stretch this out, but what if he had said "I think people are losing perspective" or "I think people shouldn't lose perspective"? That's more diplomatic, isn't it?

I only ask because it's something I could easily see myself writing. When people get carried away - like they do with Blade Runner, for instance - I always think they are getting carried away and should keep a sense of perspective. (Yes, it's a fantastically beautiful film, but the characters are rubbish, the themes barely explored, the acting questionable.)

3. Navior

Navior Skutter

I enjoyed the first episode immensely. I don't know anything about what's to come later, but I'm looking forward to it. I have a full review of "Trojan" on my blog.

4. Kipperbein

Kipperbein Second Technician

I feel fairly optimistic after having watched Trojan 8)

The only thing that stood out for me as a very slight negative was that Craig Charles did not seem quite so able to convey the 'Cheekie Chappie' persona that was such an important part of Lister's character, going back to series 6 and those before......

I've explained elsewhere that whilst I've been a fan of Red Dwarf since the beginning, I lost touch after series 6 :eek:ops:

Perhaps Craig's approach to Lister's character has changed gradually over the course of those last few series and having missed those, maybe it seems all the more obvious to me.....

Did anyone else notice this?

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I've seen what seem to be glimmers of what you describe as the "Cheekie Chappie persona" in clips from future episodes but I imagine it's understandable toned down given the character is older now.

6. Kipperbein

A fair point and I do understand.......was there a particularly noticeable point during series 7-9 that Lister's character became more 'mature'?

7. Slainmonkey

Though in season 8 I found him....(and all of them for that matter) more infantile. He start off the season talking about how much he has matured over the years but then see him and Rimmer doing really childish things......Pete part 1 and 2 being the worst offender for this.

8. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

Am I the only person to have flagged up the When I lay on my back I could have doubled as a lighthouse for really small ships! line? I found that particular nob gag to be hilarious! Great delivery, build up and WOOF WOOF! haha :-D:lol::lol::lol:

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It was too series 8 for me. It reminded me of the French movie star dialogue.

10. JCjunkstar

It just chimed in so nicely for me with all the times over the years where Rimmer has that 'reminiscing' face on, and you expect he's going to say a nice thing about his brothers, father or family - but it involves ants, or orange glo in the dark pens! haha! I love the Rimmer remembrance lines!

11. Kipperbein

I guess I'm a little ambivalent about this gag......I don't remember earlier episodes of the show referring to body parts quite so explicitly but then we have to remember - the world has changed a great deal since the last full series of Red Dwarf and I guess it is only natural that the comedy in the show will be reflective of how comedy in the larger world has become more 'edgy'.

12. Slainmonkey

Broadness aside I actually thought the French movie star gag I found was one of the funnier lines in series 8......that was until Lister chimed in with his pointless and unfunny "way too good looking" comment.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

It reminds me of listers phone rant about needing to go for the phone in trojan as it went on far to long and perhaps should have ended after he said "i'm the last human being alive and if i don't pick up that phone and make a formal complaint then who will" but he continued with alot of added stuff which didn't add anything

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Straight off the top of head, from Series IV "Justice" (IIRC) Cat says "Have you heard of an animal called the Iranian Jerd? It can do 120 pelvic thrusts a second. That's me. On slow mode. Put a Black and Decker drill on the end and I can make it through walls boy!"

Not 100% sure about the number but that's all purely from memory.

I sure there's plenty more in other episodes of Red Dwarf and I don't think it's about being "edgy" (which I tend to associate, perhaps incorrectly with stuff like Little Britain and, thankfully, the lighthouse joke is nowhere even near that level).

15. JCjunkstar

Don't get me started on Little Britain, yet another show shamelessly ripping of Messrs. Dyson, Pemberton and Shearsmith.:x

16. Kipperbein

:shock::lol:;-)

You are quite right Simon.....I had forgotten about those little gems :-)

17. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I thought that this episode was ok. Not good, not bad but ok. The overall feeling I had was that this, going back to the original crew, is how Series VIII should have been. Nice to see Chris Barrie given something to do after he was underused in BtE. Still a fine comedy actor.

The absence of Rob Grant and Ed Bye was felt though (as it was certain to be). As always Doug came up with some good jokes and ideas but the pacing was uneven and the opening was fairly weak. There have been many comments about how predictable and old-fashioned some of the writing was as well. Some have questioned Doug`s direction too and another head to bounce ideas off (and separate the wheat from the chaff) would have been a good idea imo.

18. Slainmonkey

To be honest I thought Doug's direction for the most was fine, at least up until the final act where the whole episode just seemed to collapse in on itself.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i have to agree the pacing was abit off occationaly and about the final act

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

In series III, there's a joke about the size of Lister's... ahem... member. And a quite famous scene in which Kryten's groinal attachment is mistaken for one.

Oh, and of course, all the double polaroid discussion in D.N.A.