Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pad_ehh, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I find the French movie star bit quite amusing, yet I thought he lighthouse comment was obvious and crude and it left me cold. But I have always absolutely loved how different people react so differently to the gags in the show.

2. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

It certainly wasn`t all bad but sometimes I think it was very clumsy (as it was at times in BtE). The final act as mentioned and occasionally elsewhere. The moment when Kryten picked up the book was particularly awkward for example.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I stand by my statement, there were a few clumsy scenes like you said and the while shopping network/on hold subplot was weak and the plot does a poor job of explaining itself (or in some cases giving no explanation at all) leaving a lot of questions. However it's the end were the episodes falls apart entirely for me, I was enjoying it for most part up till that point.

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That bit reminded me very much of a Friends episode where Phoebe was on hold to a technical helpline for ages. I'm sure it's probably been done elsewhere as well but that's what it instantly reminded me of.

5. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Anyone else see the similarity between this episode and *gasp* PETE?!
    It's just one joke.

From Pete:
    From Trojan:
    Anyone else see the similarity?

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Just to be clear here, that wasn't a criticism just an observation.

7. Slainmonkey

Doug Naylor's sense of humour there are bound to be similarities........I just wish I wasn't now having my traumatized Pete flashbacks now.

8. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Despite the similarities, I didn't like the Pete joke but loved the Trojan joke.

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I was only slightly amused by it, but I found the Trojan joke much more palatable. The Pete joke just annoys me.

10. Slainmonkey

Chris Barrie's delivery helped too......Bird Man was just painful

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think a jokes funnier when it makes sense but the Pete "You've met him before, have you?" line about a bird is just stupid and desperate, least with the book line from trojan is silly but makes sense

this is my own personal view of it anyway

12. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

As has been said, Doug's sense of humour will throw up similarities. Both these jokes pretty much bounced off me, but I marginally prefer the one from "Trojan".

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Not really. No.

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No its not. Unless you have a very very short memory for comedy.

15. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I think the Pete joke is out of place in the episode. Put it this way:

If you're having a bowl of dirt for breakfast, and suddenly you discover a juicy, lovely cherry in the middle, it doesn't really make the situation any better. You're still eating a bowl of dirt - no cherry can make up for that. It gets lost in the dirt.

16. ghastly98

I actually fail to see how this is a relevant metaphor. Its more like having two statues, one is of a beautiful woman, the other is of an old hag, and the only similarity is a close resemblance of one of the nostrils.

17. chrisfreeborn

chrisfreeborn Skutter

Hi, I'm new to the forum, just wanted to say, if any of the crew read this that this episode was fantastic, I hope there is more to come In this series, this was funny again, and completely out there. It was never about special effects or high tech computer imagery. So rimmer isn't hard light any more, and is now a hologram, so what if there are inconsistencies, the Beauty of it is being a sic if comedy they can do what they want, if it was realistic it couldn't be. Great work.

18. chrisfreeborn

chrisfreeborn Skutter

Hi, I'm new to the forum, just wanted to say, if any of the crew read this that this episode was fantastic, I hope there is more to come In this series, this was funny again, and completely out there. It was never about special effects or high tech computer imagery. So rimmer isn't hard light any more, and is now a hologram, so what if there are inconsistencies, the Beauty of it is being a sic if comedy they can do what they want, if it was realistic it couldn't be. Great work.

19. ghastly98

...Yes he's still Hard light... He's been a hard light hologram for ages now. He was only not hard light from series 1-5, and resurrected Rimmer in series 8. He was even Hard light in BTE, and I quote:

--Rimmer, BTE

And he's still a hard light hologram in Series X. I'm sorry, but where'd you get the idea that he's no longer solid?

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I did find it a little odd that the two Rimmers never gave any consideration to the fact that both were dead. It was as if it was normal to both of them or they were both two self absorbed to notice.

I know there was the mention of having "gone down with that crate" but as Rimmer claimed to have escaped that fate you'd think they would at least ask each other what happened. I think there was even a missed moment over who was the superior technology.