Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by PFMC84, Oct 4, 2012.

1. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

i'd say 7.5/10. I enjoyed it. I'm reserving a higher rating for other episodes. Ideally i'd like to see the other episodes first before rating each show. I want to rate the whole series against itself as opposed to a general rating...but i digress, I especially enjoyed the part where Rimmer told Kryten to erase his memory then to erase the memory of Rimmer telling him to erase his memory...then after doing so Kryten looked around not knowing where he was, lmao...my gf and i laughed our @$$es off for like 5mins and replayed that part over a few times. My opinion of this episode is that it feels like Red Dwarf...back to earth seemed more movie-esque. To me it's classic Dwarf and i've already watched a handful of times and even caught things i never caught the first few times I watched it. I agree about Kryten's mask, it didn't look right. The nose is obvious and the rings under the eyse look odd...but that's really nit-picking. I love this show and i hope it runs a few more seasons at least. I hope the skutters make an appearance 8)

2. Androidsandbeingasleep

Androidsandbeingasleep Third Technician

I really enjoyed it, it was very funny and a great start to the series. I'd probably give it a 7/10. Thought Cat was the best he's been in a long time. I particularly enjoyed the moose joke and Kryten losing his temper. Can't wait for the next one!

3. Kipperbein

Kipperbein Second Technician

I would probably concur with the 7/10 score.

It must have been difficult to come back to the characters after such a long time.....

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Reading G&T's review of Fathers and Suns it seems like this was indeed an unused scene from Trojan. I guess they either dressed up Kerry Shale for the audiences benefit in that photo or they decided to go with the computer screen effect later in Fathers and Suns.

Based on him being phenomenally unpopular in F&S it was probably a good thing to cut him from Trojan.

5. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Theres one thing in this Episode that really stood out and on subsequent rewatches is the same, was there something cut out during the scene where Lister is holding the Phone and Kryten then takes it from him?

One minute Lister is standing Stage right next to Kryten, once Kryten gets the phone and gets Mad Droid Disease a minute later Lister is sitting down on Stage left.

Its been bugging me ever since I saw it as to whether something was cut out?

P.S. As for Sim Crawford teleporting then a minute later being in the scene? I didnt see that.

6. bedfordfalls

That kind of cutaway is a fairly well used and deliberate comedy technique. It's done to show that time has passed in a fairly obvious manner and the jump to the punchline is what makes it funny.

Here's another (hilarious) example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVGF8xvS20

7. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Thats something I kept thinking about, and would certainly explain it all. When I've seen it used before theres been use of props (like hands of a clock spinning round) or caption cards reading "Sometime later".

8. bedfordfalls

Sometimes that can enhance the joke as with Only The Good's caption of "four hours later" or whatever it was with Rimmer still trying to remember the label of the antidote to the crew.

Other times as with Quarantine's "Boys from the Dwarf" instant cutaway to everyone having black eyes and bruises, it's funnier without it.

it's all about comic timing and speeding up the punchline can make the joke funnier in some instances as with Cat's "Was he Swedish? A Moose!". We all knew that was coming but it was made funnier by Cat delivering it quicker that we thought he would.

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Those kind of gags have always been a particular provenance of The Simpsons. Possibly the greatest example, although I can't find a video to link, is Homer getting food poisoning from the Kwik-E-Mart - after we've already seen a shot of the ambulance that took him away the first time, he goes back to Apu to complain. As compensation, Apu offers him...

"Five pounds of frozen shrimp!"
    "These shrimp aren't frozen! And they smell funny!"
    "Okay, ten pounds!"
    "Woohoo!"

Quick cut to another shot of the ambulance. Genius.

That Futurama example's also a particularly classy one. As is this one from Father Ted. I think one or both of Linehan and Mathews have even admitted that they called these kind of gags, which they did a few times in Ted, "Simpsons gags": http://youtu.be/vExieiQw4bM?t=5m54s

10. bedfordfalls

Yeah, they mention it at around the 7 minute mark in this doc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RDLFdHCWr8&feature=relmfu

11. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I unfortunately wasn't able to catch this when it originally aired, and seen this episode for the first time today. and I've just finished watching it for the 2nd time! I have mixed feelings about the episode, and indeed, the three new episodes I've seen so far, but I'll stick to my thoughts on this particular episode for this thread.

I wasn't a fan of Back To Earth, I have to admit. And so didn't hold out much hope for the new episodes. However, "Trojan" (a couple of ropey moments aside) was a huge improvement on BTE, and indeed, some of series 7 and most of series 8. It wasn't a full-blown return to the glory days of Red Dwarf (Series 1-6), but it certainly got far closer to that standard than I was expecting! Going in with low expectations was probably a good thing, as I was really pleased with this episode, especially the 2nd time I seen it.

The main sub-plot featuring Rimmer's brother was a bit too far out, even for Dwarf. What they did with it was okay, but the premise itself was a little bit iffy. The first half of the episode though, was pure Dwarf gold! The Stirmaster/phone running gag throughout the episode was superb, and The Cat's "It's like a pole-vaulter winning gold with a chopstick!" line is already an absolute classic line from the series.

The ending with the "Crawford sim" was also a bit iffy, but overall, this episode is the closest the series has come to being classic Red Dwarf since the first couple of episodes of Series 7. Not amazing, but far better than I was expecting! :-)

12. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

Yes, I've rewatched this episode and I have to say it's a shame neither one of them regards the other as a 'hologram'.I really enjoyed the episode though apart from the silly gerbill face when they had a resentment overload. Still very rewatchable first episode.

13. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

Has anyone pointed out yet this episodes contradiction to the deleted scene in rimmer world or am I the only one who noticed

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Well, if its a deleted scene then it don't matter. . .:roll:

15. shizuo340

--Rimmer, BTE

They were never on red dwarf, the whole time they were on Trojan.

16. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

And, considering Rimmer being away from the Dwarf and still being around, Howard was likely powered by his ship.

17. shizuo340

But wasn't his ship destroyed?

18. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

The only thing I don't get in this episode, is how Howard and Crawford are wearing the exactly same "elasticated jump suits" that Rimmer, Kryten, Lister, and Cat wear (presumably the Trojan crew's uniform) in their bid to fool Howard that Rimmer is an officer. :?

19. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

"This is the kind if ship my brothers served in" self explanatory :-)

20. Reznor

Reznor Guest

if? fail, not explanatory! :P