Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by PFMC84, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Ah! Sheesh, I can't believe I didn't join up the dots on that one! lol :eek:ops:

2. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Autocorrect is a lie... It should be called AutoIncorrect :P mobile Internet isn't great for forums lol

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

What? This ship? :lol:

4. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

I mean the super-infinity that Howard was on. I forget the name

5. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Columbus 3.

6. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

Yep that one. It would have been destroyed wouldn't it. I've only sseen the ep twice

7. bedfordfalls

Now you mention it its not really very clear where the Columbus 3 is, presumably its been dragged through time and space (no Hogey, not for a duel!) but is described as being "locked in a death dive" and on a collision course with something (I forget what) presumably the Dwarfers are quite close to it but the Columbus is unaware of this due to their systems being down.

It could be that Howard is operating on remote as Rimmer does in Psirens and presumably throughout most of series six where they have no contact with RD. Come to think of it, what's powering him when he goes off to become Ace?

I'm afraid this continuity error is older than Trojan. Really they should have probably just canned the idea once Rimmer went hard light. In that sense Doug was in a 'can't please everyone' situation when he had Rimmer mention it in BTE. On the one hand it acknowedged continuity but on the other created all sorts of other issues.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Probably even before he went Hardlight. Right from the beginning of Series VI I'd say, what with being away from Red Dwarf. I know he has been away from the ship long before then, but it wasn't that far away, so I assumed the signal was still transmitted to the light bee back then.* In series VI, the ship was so far away though, and I don't buy the idea that the micro version of the ship maintained the signal. It seemed clear to me in the booting sequence in Psirens that Rimmer's was now generated locally on Starbug.

*Mind you, Backwards rather stretched things. Why couldn't Cat and Lister have tracked the signal sent from the Holo-suite to the light bee through the time hole, rather than having to search several moons and planets as described in their dialogue.) And then there was Waxworld. Was Rimmer's signal sent to Rimmer's light bee via the matter paddle? I wonder if the light-bee wasn't just a remote projector, but a self contained storage device as well. Something they picked up between series 2 and 3, although it's not mentioned until series IV.

Or I'm way overthinking these things. :-D

9. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Another thing I noticed was Cat just putting the rather bland (in comparison to his own clothes) outfit for the SS Trojan on when any change of outfit in a previous series was met with a "no way bud... " type of reply.

10. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Holograms can be powered by advanced solar power nowadays, ya' know. And "to a degree" Kryten runs on solar power too. :-)

This vid contains a bit of interesting insight as to how the Red Dwarf ship is powered too. As well as other ways Rimmer can be powered when on other planets and moons. There are however other potential possibilities I could mention...but I wont go off on that tangent right now or I'll be here all night. :-)

"EXCLUSIVE Red Dwarf Interview with Doug Naylor - Fully Charged"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAgP-lkelWQ

11. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I guess he got used to it in series 8, wearing stuff he doesn't want to... Though BTE backtracks that.

In Legion Rimmer turns blue for hard light and in all episodes afterwards he's blue, except the next episode, but he is referred to as hardlight despite being red, is this an error?

12. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

For running Howard and Rimmer at the same time (yes, I'm fully aware that Howard is a "Rimmer" too), I tend to think of it this way.

Howard's ship, Columbus 3 (I think it was) was transported through space and time, so on and so forth. Impact in however many hours. Howard's good up until that point.

Now, from previous episodes (Demons & Angels, Psirens) we know that light bees can hold a charge. Rimmer, for example, has no problem wandering round derelicts, so long as he doesn't stay on them too long without recharging.

I tend to think that light bees, when in somewhere that supports them, draw a charge from that place. We have technology now where you can charge a DS up just by placing it on a "power mat" - in the Red Dwarf universe, who's to say that Rimmer can't draw power from the ship itself, just when he's walking around it's interior? I liken this to wifi signals nowadays, and the light bees to internet devices - like a wireless electric router.

As such, Howard teleported to the Trojan and his light bee shifted where it was drawing power from to the Trojan automatically.

13. bedfordfalls

I'm always amused when people bring up the "How does rimmer stay powered up when..." argument.

After Rimmerworld and the guy spending hundreds of years alone on a planet...and still running fine, then the whole thing about him needing Red Dwarf to power him should have been consigned to the bin with a quick retcon about hard-light having an endless power supply.

Speaking of which, maybe his light bee is running on Ouroboros batteries. :P

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

True. My solution was a quick one that would work in Trojan and a few other circumstances. In Rimmerworld, I believe the escape pod had batteries, solar panels or something which Kryten said would keep him charged, though Rimmer was stuck in a cell (unless his captors let him out, guarded, to the pod to recharge or something, if they're that sadistic).

Either way, it's a sci-fi comedy and there are much larger plotholes that Red Dwarf itself could be flown through without us having to worry about this one. There's also more serious business, such as I'm A Celebrity, which doesn't get nearly enough exposure on these pages :P

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Solar power is one possibility, but as Doug mentioned in the interview I posted above, in the case of Rimmerworld he suggested water or wind power would've been used. In the case of water-based energy this could be a variety of things from rain, wave power, tidal power and ocean thermal energy.

I would also suggest Artificial photosynthesis, Cellulosic ethanol, Hydropower, Geothermal, among other possibilities - some of which are more realistic than others...well, I say 'realistic', we're not quite as advanced as the in-universe Red Dwarf world of course. And as you say it is sci-fi after all so I'd say that there is an inherent allowance for artistic license to be used here. But in the case of renewable energies powering holograms and stuff, it's all pretty easy to explain away really. :-)

Edit: I see no plot holes regarding holograms, ships or anything else in relation to how things are powered in Red Dwarf...although the odd throw away gag may deem certain things a tad unrealistic, such as the one Doug mentioned in the interview.

16. bedfordfalls

If Doug ever feels like getting fourth-wally again then the idea of Red Dwarf flying through a series of plot holes is an unintentionally amusing one. :P

17. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

I'm watching the bluray right now and Only just noticed the music playing when Rimmers brother dies.
    Nice touch

18. bedfordfalls

Really interesting comments by Doug in Dave's Weekly podcast that finally shed some light on the seemingly random name of the craft.

Originally Doug wanted there to be something (nasty) on board the Trojan that would only reveal itself in a later episode. Combined with what is revealed on the DVD about the finished 'Trojan' seems to be almost an entirely different one to the one that Doug originally intended to make.