Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pad_ehh, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I thought it was great. The best one sentence summary of Arnold Rimmer, my better half actually inhaled her drink at that point. Consider me one happy bunny.

2. Skemekos

Skemekos Third Technician

Agreed. Different feel but it was still fun to watch!
    Cant wait for next episode! Shame they didnt get either one of the Hollie's back for the on board computer though.

3. ben996

ben996 First Technician

A solid episode, 7/10. Not brilliant but not bad just good, had some great lines but a few "meh" parts, overall a decent episode of the series and people do say they get better.

4. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I liked it, it was ok. not great, but not bad. The spinning beachball eyes thing was over done a little and the model shots sucked sometimes but I liked it.

5. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I seem to recall a review where the writer said he worried that points felt "undwarfy" but then realised he was laughing, and that he didn't care!

The same applied for me. The Ad break gave me time to think... Once I got used to the HD and the New sets I think its miles better than 8, 9 or most of 7.

The one thing that did strike me is that I didn't notice their age at all... not once, until a family member who is a casual viewer mentioned it, it hadn't even enterred my mind

Jokes funny, story fun, great start. 7.5/10

6. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

What's with all the duplicate posts in this thread? Is the forum overloading or is someone pressing the button repeatedly to post?

7. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I liked a lot of the past references to previous episodes, such as Kochanski and Petersen

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'll give a better review later when I've watched it again, but my first reaction is:

It was good, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. I was hoping for something that could have fit into series 3 to 5, but I don't think this could. It all seemed a bit wacky too.

Some of the humour was surprisingly clever, while a lot of it, too much really, was very predictable. Some of the humour was very Dwarfy. A lot of it wasn't.

9. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

I REALLY enjoyed it. Some of the stuff involving the call center was really funny. Most of all this looked and felt like Red Dwarf in 2012. You get the impression that this could not have been made in any other time. It felt very very fresh. Something I didn't feel with BTE.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its strange some of the gags were great but it felt so different to past red dwarf

i havent worked out what i thought of it yet

11. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

set seems pretty cool, fave was starbug series 6 but i liked this.
    didn't think much of the first half until finding Trojan, liked the story, but obvious ending.
    so do the crew have a sim now?
    one thing - kryten looked hidious - looks like they've used poor quality plaster mould. strange nose and severe rings under eye sockets that looked shabby.
    over all, 6/10 for me.

12. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Excellent.

I am a very hard person to please. I'm the kind of guy who irritates everyone by finding the flaws in something they're all celebrating, and then struggles to keep his mouth shut about them. But honestly, I couldn't find a single thing to complain about in this.

Red Dwarf is well and truly back. This was the best it's been since Series 5. Add a little depth to the dialogue, and it would be the best it has ever been.

13. ben996

ben996 First Technician

The episode seemed very "series 8", which I liked but not a lot of people did

14. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Funny moments, decent storyline 6/10

15. ben996

ben996 First Technician

The episode seemed very "series 8", which I liked but not a lot of people did

16. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Yes, it did feel a bit more fast and furious than previous Dwarfs, which is to its credit. Although it didn't feel like you were on Red Dwarf, but rather a small space ship. Thought they all fitted back in to their roles superbly, but special note has to be made to Danny who hasn't lost any of his style or elan!

Some really good jokes in this episode.

RAGE

17. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

It doesn't say much for Series X so far if the first episode of Series 4 is funnier and more enjoyable to watch... :-(

18. bossk_

bossk_ Skutter

phone joke was a bit baws but the Kryten taking over bit with pumping his knees and shouting bit was worth the pain. Classic resentment Rimer character driven story though - the tasty preview of the next episode is looking so good. From what I've heard from those in the know that this episode might be 2nd worst of the overall series then I'm content. Red Dwarf is back Boys from the dwarf! 8)

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I thought it was great personally, there was the best one sentence summary of Arnold Rimmer to date and that made my better half inhale her drink. If this is any indication of the rest of the series I'm a happy bunny. Red Dwarf is definitely back.

20. Whizzkid

Whizzkid Catering Officer

Best comeback of any TV series. It's only episode 1 it scores 9/10 and it's already got a number of running gags. Mooses, overrunning calls to shopping channels and a resentful Rimmer who can't even be happy. Joy to Doug Naylor and Red Dwarf, Smeggingtastic.:-D