Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pad_ehh, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I thought the first 5 minutes or so was really stilted. The jokes weren't great and the laughter sounded so false and artificial....I know it wasn't canned, but it sounded like it! I don't know if it was the way the scenes were edited around the laughter but they just didn't seem to match up. I was sat silent and feeling disappointed as the audience laughter was in hysterics. And, I thought the first moose joke scene was going on too much in a very Series VIII manner. And just i was starting to think 'Perhaps Doug can't do Red Dwarf', it got good. Really good.

I was laughing out loud. The return of the moose gag was really enjoyable. And, before I knew it, I was fully engrossed and properly laughing. Shame about those first 5 minutes. The other 25 more than made up for it in my opinion though. I'm a happy Dwarfer right now :-)

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Some of the humour fell a little flat, but on the whole a good feel. I laughed a lot! Also, I quite liked the feel of the whole thing and the original, dare I say "Hitch-hiker's" style futuristic parodies of modern life. More of the same would suit me well enough.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm guessing people keep reposting their message because they get the 500 server error message and assume it's not been posted.

4. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Just going over it in my head, and I agree that Red Dwarf did feel small. I read somewhere that they've retreated to the belly of the ship, and I wonder if this will be adressed in future. More on the episode, which I gave a 7.5 earlier...

Kryten's costume bothered me a little towards the end, but not in an episode ruining way. The worst overacting I must say was Howard... I thought the guys were perfect, especcially, as mentioned, Danny. Cat got a laugh from me just for enterring during the moose gag.

The "Crap" first five minutes were forgiven when they in fact became set up for a running gag with a decent pay off.

Yes, I liked it, I shall be rewatching it later.

Role on next week!

5. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Everyone hurry up and post it online for us US citizens :lol:

6. Noodle

Noodle Skutter

Yay! Welcome back Red Dwarf. Thoroughly enjoyed the first episode :-D

7. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Some of the lines were very predictable tbh, and Howard didn't exactly come up with the best lines. Cat was probably the funniest character tonight, from the beginning to the end he was class

8. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Some of the lines were very predictable tbh, and Howard didn't exactly come up with the best lines. Cat was probably the funniest character tonight, from the beginning to the end he was class

9. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

Yeah. I was expecting Kryten to look weird and... he did. Dunno why they didn't just leave him looking same as before - he was fine.

10. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Everyone hurry up and post it online for us US citizens :lol:

11. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

Yeah. I was expecting Kryten to look weird and... he did. Dunno why they didn't just leave him looking same as before - he was fine.

12. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

dunno, it seems a bit weird that there are still droids doing a tv channel and selling products when they can't be selling any if their intended buyers are humans? Or are they selling to other life forms? I guess that could work. But I don't get how lister thinks he's gonna get it delivered to wherever they are in deep space.

13. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

A solid 10/10. I was laughing all the way through, and am still giggling as I type this.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i thought the cast were great and they played the characters more like 3-6, and even though i thought it was quite funny i will say that it contains alot of flaws storywise which is a shame really

15. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

The moose gag, the bit in which Rimmer was involved, was classic sitcom.:lol: Brilliant!

16. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

The first 10 or so minutes wern't great and it took a while to get used to how everything looked but it got better as it went on. I really didn't like the beachball eyes with the mugging faces though. Also that simulant had cheesy Dr Who style acting.

17. Dawatticus

Dawatticus Third Technician

Because they're programmed to and don't have anyone to break their programming? It also said they'd come into their range and that's why they were getting the shopping channel in the first place.

18. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Some of it was a bit forced, such as the bit at the beginning with Kryten and Rimmer and the bit with Lister wanting to get to the phone, and those moments began with me thinking 'this is just right, don't over do it!' before they went and did exactly that. Then again I found that mostly it was actually very funny. I'm happy not to be disappointed!

7/10

19. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Yes, that and the Howard reveal got the biggest laughs from me.

20. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

I think if you remember this is Red Dwarf in 2012 not 1988 or 1998 then it might help. It cannot be the same as previous ones because you cannot recreate the past exactly. But to me at least this felt new while retaining some of the classic feel. But then I liked series 7 too. Hated 8 because they brought the crew back and the characters were a bit silly. This was more clever. Odd analogy but l got the same happy feeling with the latest Duran Duran album. I liked how they sounded fresh while retainng a classic 80's feel. This was the challenge here. I think many non hardcore fans will love it. Might get them to check out the earlier episodes.