Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pad_ehh, Oct 4, 2012.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

hopefully it gets better and not worse, like series VII which i thought started really well but then got worse. Overally really pleased just to be able to watch without cringing haha.

2. Julia

Julia Catering Officer

I enjoyed it and the 'shoddy' looking props were still there, would have been a disaster if the effects were too good. It all adds to the red dwarf experience for me!

3. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Dave's website seems to have crashed... Due to people looking to check out the show or a clever ploy to create a headline saying how popular it was for a press release tomorrow? ;-):lol:

4. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Totally agree, some people complaining (there's a thread about it) about the poor models, who cares? lol, it's a sit-com and that adds to the humour does poor effects haha

5. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I've just finished watching it a second time, and I much preferred it this time round. I think first time I had a bit of a nervous disposition (probably after BTE) but on second viewing I just sat and enjoyed it without any of the aforementioned nerves! This is definitely a good episode of Red Dwarf and will rate higher (in my ratings) than any series 7 or 8 or 9 (apart from Tikka, which I found hilarious).

Welcome back RD!!!

RAGE

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Why does Howard's hardlight status need explaining? What would it add to the comedy/plot? How would a line of dialogue explaining his hardlight status improve things? :?

As for the androids still selling products, that seems self-explanatory; they are androids & they were activated by Red Dwarf coming into their range. A bit like the automatic response from Magrathea in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Aw, that was very agreeable. Now I feel bad for threatening you. Anyway: thanks.

I know people are going to find ways to watch the show, and frankly, I'm not going to sit on a moral high horse about it. But on the official forum, we can't have any links to such things. At all.

8. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I love this photo though, very retro looking - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=292176237555040&set=a.143595232413142.24466.136867133085952&type=1&theater

9. steveedster

steveedster Third Technician

Laugh out moment for me had the be the Scottish salad bar line.

Other than that not a great ep, the story seemed lacking so 6.5 out of 10.

Kryten's remodelled face does bother me, it is just too different, doesn't not look like him and I feel Rob cannot transmit the facial expressions that made Kryten funny through it.

Still it's good to have this old friend back in my life, onwards and upwards:-)

10. Skemekos

Skemekos Third Technician

Agreed. The props were great and old school Red Dwarf-like. It would have sucked if they were all CGI or something.
    They made the right decision to go practical.

11. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah best epiosode since Tikka, 19 years ago :shock:

And I really liked that episode.

12. Skemekos

Skemekos Third Technician

Its cool, my friend.;-)

13. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Twice in an hour, don't watch it too many times or you'll get bored of it!! ;-)

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Awww, I bet you'd look rather dashing on a high horse. :eek:ops:

15. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Based on what most people have said on here I think the general opinion is that it isn't a classic but it was good.

In my opinion it felt a lot like BTE and series 8, but that's just me haha

16. stevo76

stevo76 Skutter

All in all a good return of RD

Some points, some of the scences seemed a bit....well...wooden and maybe over acted a tad! maybe better described as trying to hard, but it could be those scences where some of the first filmed (first days back at school and all that), Some of the other scenes seemed much more relaxed and flowed much better.

One thing that did disappoint was Krytens Head, looked cheap and nasty, but I understand (or read somewhere) it was for quickness so Robert llewellyn didnt have to sit for hours every day, although I think if he had have sat for hours it would have been worth it in the end result.

I think the continuing phone joke was quite current and obviously a take on the continuing automation of our real world phone systems, where you talk to a machine, get put on hold, and then after hours of trying to get a simple thing done they cut you off.

Overall I enjoyed and laughed, looking forward to episode 2

enjoyment 7/10

:-D

17. stevo76

stevo76 Skutter

All in all a good return of RD

Some points, some of the scenes seemed a bit....well...wooden and maybe over acted a tad! maybe better described as trying to hard, but it could be those scenes where some of the first filmed (first days back at school and all that), Some of the other scenes seemed much more relaxed and flowed much better.

One thing that did disappoint was Krytens Head, looked cheap and nasty, but I understand (or read somewhere) it was for quickness so Robert llewellyn didnt have to sit for hours every day, although I think if he had have sat for hours it would have been worth it in the end result.

I think the continuing phone joke was quite current and obviously a take on the continuing automation of our real world phone systems, where you talk to a machine, get put on hold, and then after hours of trying to get a simple thing done they cut you off.

Overall I enjoyed and laughed, looking forward to episode 2

enjoyment 7/10

:-D

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the cast were defo on form, i can't fault any of them nor can i fault the humour, altho i hope the story is alot better for the next 5 episode

i will say its better then 8, funnier then 7-8 and BTE, storywise only slightly better then BTE

19. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Wait to be an active part of the forum, I know I can't talk but 2 posts in 3 years ;-) just joking btw ;-)

20. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

lol perhaps they type at the speed of dark.