Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by PFMC84, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ben996

ben996 First Technician

haha ;-)

Next week's episode seems like a recycled version of Queeg tbh, hope I'm wrong

2. stevo76

stevo76 Skutter

LOL, yeah, the last time I posted on here was about BTE, at least now there is something to talk about...well at least for the next 6 weeks.
    :-D

but in my own defence I do watch all 8 (original) series at least twice a month, he he

3. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Although I enjoyed the episode, I have to say I don't understand why Doug writes certain jokes tbh,

Such as the one where Rimmer his hitting the letter repeatedly with a hammer or whatever, not really funny and I think why did he keep that? It seemed like a Series 8 thing that most people disliked,
    Also certain jokes that were coming a mile off,

Also the one where they freeze up and their eyes go yellow, too over done and was never really that funny, maybe the first time but 3 more times after that, sorry Doug.

Not bashing Doug or the episode (I thought it was good) just saying there are several jokes I thought he should have cut,

Also I think only die hard fans can really like this episode, new fans may not enjoy as much as us

4. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

Only thing I would have done different was at the end it should have been revealed that the letter was fake or something.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i have to say also im not sure how i felt about the big reveal from howard, its a big thing to take in as it rewrites some of the shows past in a way but il have to watch it again to decide

6. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Strangely enough those two bits were probably my least favourite parts of the show aswell, but in most RD episodes there are bits I don't like (Even Back To Reality) so I can look over those two and realise that 90% of Trojan was bang on!

RAGE

7. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I liked it! I lol'd and that's all i care about really.

I have a few minor niggles which I'm sure no-one really cares about but me (Model shots looked far too much like Tonka Toys, think it was the composition between the various scale of Model, starbug flying towards Trojan was particularly bad), would've liked a couple more background details about how Howard died, etc. but that's just minor stuff really.

The highs more than outweighed the lows, Cat wandering around in the background is already a classic Dwarf moment in my mind and "moose"-gate is already funnier than some of the overrated, over-quoted lines from Dwarf past.

Wish Dave didn't then back series Ten up with 2 eps of series iv, they need to let the new series stand on its own feet really.
    Also the next time trailer was far too long, no spoilers!

(Also the new holly-thing has a NECK. COMPLETE BREAK OF CONTINUITY, RAPED MY CHILDHOOD etc etc )

Still it's trending on twitter and the reaction on there is overwhelmingly positive. Also as I type the Dave website has crashed so hopefully enough people were watching to blow the lid off Dave's record figures. We'll see :-)

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Maybe, but then again I thought Trojan would be reminiscent of Ace Rimmer v Rimmer antagonistic humour from Dimension Jump. However, to its credit it was different enough.

9. Heliosphan

Heliosphan Skutter

I can only imagine that was a moment of reflection back to him hitting his crotch with a hammer, I think it did bring me back to that moment as I watched it.
    Well predictability has been a staple of RD on certain occasions, at least once per ep. since, I dunno, series 3 or thereabouts.
    Ever since the disappointment that was B2E, I feel that over-examination of Red Dwarf jokes is a detriment to it's enjoyment - sure it IS predictable sometimes, it is blatantly un-funny at times, but sometimes u just need to switch off your brain and return to a younger, possibly naive you back in the late 80's / early 90's and ENJOY.

10. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

It was great! Very funny and a modern version of the classic series 3 / 4 style, my only niggle is that it does nothing for the progression of the story line, but this is the first episode, so that is very excusable

11. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I agree, don't get me wrong there were so many brilliant parts but I feel that Doug has had years to write these scripts yet back in the late 80's he may have had less time, such as Series 6 where apparently it was rushed and wrote quickly yet it's my favourite series. A solid episode that I hope gets better, after all Camile is an average season opener yet the rest were spectacular so who knows

12. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I guess your right, strangely enough the best character in that episode was Cat by a long shot, very unusual to say that haha

13. bossk_

bossk_ Skutter

this is the first programme I've looked forward to and watched, OK I've been busy with kids and so on but modern life catch up TV and FF I never bother with ads - jeeyz they suck! This episode with the TV ads joke theme well, there ye go - I hate all the modern day consumer driven society obsessed with tat the jokes weren't so great but maybe there's a message in there? RESIST THE CONCRETE CONSUMER MACHINES! :evil:

14. jakeharold

jakeharold Skutter

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, but not new to Red Dwarf. I've Been following the show for years now, and I've meditated on the dvd boxsets many, many times. I've been so excited for this series ever since I heard they were making it, and I've been hankering for an explanation ever since the end of series 8.

I liked this first episode. If you think about it, it had to have been hard to write. You go away for a few years, and the audience are going to hone in on those old episodes so tightly, because it's all they have to watch. Everyone is going to develop their own very personal view of what should come next, so how are you going to please all for them?

It felt like this episode was half way between a resurrection for the fans, and an open start for new viewers, which is probably exactly what they intended. But I had a few gripes with the actual plot that I wanted to mention here.

Why no supply inventory? At the start of every other series, we've pretty much been told whatever smeggy situation the crew is in. This was done best at the start of series 4, when Lister woke up from cryo-sleep and had to cut his fingernails with a pencil sharpener. In this new ep, the situation wasn't really set up, so I was constantly looking for clues to explain what their situation was, making the jokes pass me by a little. I'm saying this is mainly my fault, but I think an opportunity was missed to get humour out of the crew making fun of each other for being in a bad situation (classic red dwarf).

Imagine if, say, the episode had started out with Lister cat and Kryten having to re-boot Rimmer from an old backup, because he had blown out another light bee due to stress. Cat could have made some jokes about 'why do we want to turn him back on anyway?' Lister could have tried to explain why, then looked confused when he couldn't find an answer 'well... we... actually, why DO we have to, kryten?', then kryten could have explained why. They could have then explained their situation to us, the audience, in having to explain things to Rimmer. We would then have had at least for a small bearing on their situation. This more intense Rimmer focus could have lead them them to insultingly reminding him of what kind of person he is, making him once again focus on his self hate. explaining the freeze-screen better, and giving new viewers a better idea of why he really needed to fake being a captain in front of his brother (because he is such an utter Smeg-head).

Another thing: stimulants. In Red Dwarf, stimulants have always been considered 'evil'. Now, I know there was a time in the past were stimulants served humans, then got fed up and rebelled, but the crew have always famously been fighting stimulants throughout the entire history of the show. Why are they so unaffected by Rimmers brother being accompanied by a sim? I mean, not even a 'OH SMEG, SHE'S GOING TO KILL US!' reaction when they find out she is a sim, then them being surprised when she doesn't attack.
    Imagine if the quantum rod had actually connected Rimmer and his brother over time and space, and brought Rimmer's brother and the sim from the past, before the sims turned evil. It would have been a good opoutunity for a joke when they had the gun pointed at them

Lister: Kryten, what year did you say the stimulants turned against humans?
    Kryten: 18092, sir
    Lister: and what year did you say they had came from?
    Kryten: 1800.. and... ah, yes. I see what you're getting at, sir.

are they in the past? how come red dwarf hasn't been eaten by the microbe? I mean, i'm ok with these questions being unanswered, as long as they are hinted at enough, just to pacify the people who'd like to know, until they're ready to explain them.
    Sorry for the text wall, I just wanted to get that out and see if anyone agreed/had other ideas or problems.

15. ReflexReaction

ReflexReaction Third Technician

Having watched it be filmed, I can confirm it IS a massive rip of Queeg. Has a very funny part though!!

16. TheSmeggingPasty

TheSmeggingPasty Third Technician

I missed it it. Can't wait for 11:40! Hurry up!!!!!
    Can anyone tell me whether this thread is particularly spoilerish? I just need something to tide me over ;-)

17. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

A lot of these questions will probably be answered later in the series.

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes. There were some brief moments when it felt like classic Dwarf; Kryten explaining to Rimmer what the 'long glowey thing' was, for example, but I agree that the gags felt a little forced and rushed. I so wanted it to be more like the really early stuff, S1 and 2, where the story unfolded at a far more leisurely pace and the feeling of isolation and being 'in space' was so nicely done. I know it's a comedy, but what I love about the early stuff is the moments of straight acting where nothing is played for laughs. I think even a comedy shows needs those moments.

Some other gripes: The audience laughter felt a tad forced and very like the US sitcoms from the 80s. The ad break was painful. I don't think I've ever wanted Rik Mayall to go away as much as I did here.

To sum up, it was too pantomime for my liking, but I'm sure things will improve as the actors settle back into their roles.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

The pace of tv has changed, new Red Dwarf episodes can't be like s1 or s2 in terms of pacing anymore.

20. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I guess funny is the main part, my main gripe with this season is that only two of the episodes (Lemons and The Beginning) actually have good plots and sound hilarious, where as a Queeg rip off, Lister and vending machines falling in love or whatever, Cat and Kryten doing everything in unison (can only be funny for a little while, eventually it will get boring, just hope they don't over do it) don't sound promising. I hope I'm wrong but before I watched the early series for the first time they all sounded brilliant and they were :-)