Episode 2 - Fathers and Suns

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Urgamanix, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Urgamanix

Urgamanix Third Technician

It's that day of the week again :eek:

Post your predictions, reviews and analysis here!

For me, this looked like one of the weaker episodes from a synopsis point of view, although I'll be gladly proven wrong.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I liked the look of last week's preview. I'm going to to predict that this episode will be better than Trojan.

I don't think I'll be around tonight either, so I'll probably post my review tomorrow morning.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It looks and sounds better then Trojan.....infact the rest looks like it's all in an upward trend so I'm pretty pumped. Though I wasn't gung ho on Trojan, I predict that I will enjoy Fathers and Suns.

4. TouchT1701

TouchT1701 Third Technician

To be honest, the preview I've seen does kind of turn me off, especially the new 'puter. I hoping it's just the dodgey, disjointed feel of the trailer. Otherwise, I expect it'll equal of better Trojan. :-D

5. Kipperbein

Kipperbein Second Technician

Well,

having spent so long in a non-Dwarf wilderness, at this point I'm just thankful to see some new episodes on the box 8)

Having said that, after a relatively promising first episode last week I do think the show needs to progress and start delivering more belly laughs!

I remain optimistic :-)

6. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I suppose you could always try watching it and then judging it? Call me old fashioned.... zzzz

7. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Trojan was good but there were far too many flaws, and look at Series 1-6 episodes there were barely any flaws if any tbh,

Let's hope Fathers and Sons improves on it, don't mean to sound picky but new computer (queeg), head and shoulders (head), couple of flaws already haha

8. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I can't wait for it myself :-D

9. Slainmonkey

how is the fact the computer has shoulders a flaw? it's clearly a different design. Also while the comparison can be made to Queeg who was more of a Drill Sargent, this episode appears to going down a more 2001 road and as such seems to be more of a monster of the week type episode.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

While the episode where they're stuck on the ship are often my least favourite it of course depends a lot on the story. Quarantine and Queeg were good for example. Come to think of it, there's a lot of good ship-centric episodes, it's mainly the series 1 I am thinking of, although that had Future Echoes as well.

It certainly looked fun. I'm a bit dubious about the 'Father' thread as I wonder if that will get a bit too silly for my taste. On the other hand some very silly stuff will sometimes tickle me. Silly humour is strange like that.

One other thing: they chose a very attractive young lady to play Pree.

11. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Yeah, I was making comparisons to Queeg as well, but the shoulders don't bother me. Holly's design has changed a lot over the years anyway, plus, I can't see the new computer being a permanent addition (I hope - Holly's time has come and gone).

It seems like its going to be one of these episodes that starts with something simple that quickly escalates out of control. They were always my favourite episodes. I just hope the payoff is good, that it has a good resolution, like Queeg did.

I think if it matches Trojan in terms of comedy and quality, it'll be a great episode, but I'm hoping that Fathers and Suns will build on Trojan and not just sit back and rest on the laurels of Trojan.

12. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I really enjoyed Trojan (a lot - more so after multiple viewings, as is almost always the case with RD ep's for me personally) And I'm really looking forward to Fathers and Suns too.

I can't really say any more than that until the episode has aired though (as tempting as it is ;-) ). But I certainly enjoyed being a part of the audience on the night. :-)

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I suspect you are going to get some complaints about making this thread. As ridiculous as it sounds there are people coming to the forum who are still trying to avoid the titles of future episodes and this one hasn't aired yet.

14. Slainmonkey

It is current TV guides now, I think you would find many who don't know the title at this point.

15. Urgamanix

You mean the title that is currently shown on the front page of this website? Ok :lol:

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Just six hours to wait now.

I'm still not sure I'll be here tonight. I hope I am, just to witness the mass of activity on the forum again.

17. Kipperbein

Kipperbein Second Technician

Ah! The forum lights up after a new show is aired.......but of course ! :lol: 8)

I have a feeling that many people will be pleasantly surprised this evening ;-)

18. Urgamanix

being in Singapore, my only option is to watch an unofficial version tomorrow :-(

19. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Basing my opinion on the trailer attached to the end of last weeks episode and the overall tone and look/feel of the series so far, I am going to guess that my overall score for this episode will be 5/10. I will come on again after watching and see if my score improves somewhat.

Does anyone know the other episode of this series that's supposed to be the 'worst' as Trojan is considered the 2nd worst? Is this one of the 4 episodes Craig Charles considers to be some of the best episodes of Red Dwarf they've ever made?

Oh, and I take it that Starbug gets lost in this episode hence why the crew must go around in Blue Midget from now on?

I'm wondering if this was done because it was easier/cheaper to re-dress the drive room set as the cockpit for Blue Midget instead of having to create a whole new separate set for Starbug.

20. Slainmonkey

From the things I hear the first 2 episodes are supposed to to be the weakest and then things start to kick into gear but that is subjective. Frankly from what I heard Trojan has always sounded the worst of the lot to me, and I think this episode looks like an improvement. The episodes in the second half of the series actually look really strong.

As for Starbug, who's to say it's disappearing but rather being sidelined for the reason of cutting down set budgets? I guess that Blue Midget deserves some time back in the spot light though I do hope that it gets a new set if there's a series XI.