Episode 2 - Fathers and Suns

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Urgamanix, Oct 11, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yes, that is what I mean. Hence why I said it!

2. Sparky

Sparky Supply Officer

This episode was the one that I got to see being filmed (thank you Mr Ellard!) and it seemed pretty funny at the time... there were a couple of linking scenes that we didn't see, and there was one bit that maybe didn't make a lot of sense at the time, so I don't know if any more explanation has been added since then, but I certainly think most people will find this funnier than last weeks ep.

3. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I don't mean to sound negative at people on here, but Trojan felt like an episode in Series 8, a bit silly and several flaws, yet people on here are going on about how great the episode was (unless your a Series 8 fan), it also had a similar vibe to Series 9 BTE as well in all honesty. While Trojan was okay it was worse than the weaker ones in the earlier series, such as Bodyswap, Camile and Terrorform. I'm saying all this as a huge Dwarf fan btw.

I hope tonight's is a lot better as I'm beginning to think why didn't they just end it after Series 6 and have 6 seasons of the greatest sitcom ever made, but oh well. You never know, an episode from Series 10 could be the greatest episode of Dwarf ever made what do I know haha

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Series 10 is meant to get stronger and stronger as it goes along, and while there were some series 8 like elements it IMO never felt anywhere near to the same lows. I wasn't that big on Trojan (I didn't think it sounded very good ever before it aired) but I'm still pretty optimistic that the show still has some life in it, let's not count it out quite yet because future episodes are actually sounding much better.

5. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Yeah your right, Lemons and The Beginning sound brilliant, let's hope they are as good as they sound :-)

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Entangled is looking fantastic too

7. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Okaaay... based on 'Trojan' exceeding my expectations, giving me a good idea of where series X is coming from, I'm going to go for a predicted score of 8/10 for 'Fathers and Sons'.

8. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

I'm getting a nice hot madras curry in for the night, going to watch it in true Dwarf style. :-)

(I have a cold too so the curry will help me to forget how lousy I feel :-( )

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Hmm, well that's certainly an interesting perspective. We all have differing tastes of course, even us "hardcore fans"/Dwarfers, so I'd say that for the most part this is not a scientific process of elimination. I mean, you mentioned there that you feel Body Swap is one of the weaker episodes. But the fact is that episode would be included in many a fan's favourite episodes of all time, and for very good reason in my personal opinion (and yep, it's one of my faves too).

Also, while I do like series 8, it's still my least favourite series. And I didn't really get a series 8 vibe when watching Trojan, and I certainly find it difficult to find much resemblance to BTE.

I've been giving this a lot of thought just lately and I feel that series X already has a feel of it's own, much as past series' have. Although if I were forced to compare it to the 'feel' of just one other series, I think I would have to go with series 5 to be honest...or possibly series 6...or maybe...gah, you see, I find it too difficult to compare what I've seen of series X so far to any one series. ;-)

But as I said, much of this is subjective to personal taste of course. Series 7, 8 and BTE can not really be considered failures unless absolutely no Red Dwarf fans enjoyed them...and even then it's possible they could all simply be misunderstanding Doug's vision.. ;-) The point I'm trying to make is that if people enjoy series 7, 8 and BTE (and many do), then why would one want the series to have ended after series 6? Are their views not equally as valid as every one else's?

Also, and I know I'm not the only one here to notice this, when folk use such terms as "a series 8 vibe", while I do recognise the differences in both the basic premise and certain gags, the examples many seem to use could more often than not be quite closely compared to many elements of certain 'classic' series 3-6 episodes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes, I do genuinely understand and empathise with why some dislike series 8 so much, but I can't help but feel that sometimes, just sometimes, certain people may be going out of their way to compare anything new to series 8 specifically...possibly even almost subconsciously so...perhaps.

10. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

Trojan felt nothing like Series 8

11. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Felt like a series 8 episode? Not a chance. It didn't feel like series 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or BtE either... I think it definitely has it's own feel. Trojan will not go into my top 10 episodes ever, but I think there will be at least one episode from every single series I rate it higher than. It was a decent episode that I laughed at often. An episode that I enjoyed on second and third viewing. And one I will definitely be popping on again in the future. Perhaps you are no longer as big a Dwarf fan as you think you are...

As for "I'm beginning to think why didn't they just end it after Series 6 and have 6 seasons of the greatest sitcom ever made"

Because there are people out there who enjoyed 7 or BtE....and even 8!! Series 1-6 will always be there. If you dislike everything after that, fair enough. But please don't begrudge anyone else that enjoys the latest offerings. (And there are a lot of people seem to at the moment)

12. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Anyway, I got a bad feeling about this one. . .5/10

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Agree 100%.

14. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Of course you do!
    Nah just kidding I kind of partly not so much agree too. :lol:

15. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

I feel the OTT 'Heeeeyyy... It's the wacky old Red Dwarf gang! Let's watch them all be silly and make us laugh!' vibe of later series really kicked in for me towards the beginning of Series VI, and that's when Red Dwarf started to annoy me a slightly. With the exception of 'Psirens' to me every episode of series VI (even though I still love that series,) feels slightly closer to series VIII than 'Trojan' did.

Anyway, back on topic, in the glimpses of "Fathers and Suns" I got a hint of a proper Sci-Fi thing going on; a bit Dark Star or 2001.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm going to be here after all.

Less than 45 minutes remaining now. Can't wait.

17. Sparky

Sparky Supply Officer

5 mins to go... prizes go to anyone who can hear me on the laughter track. Well, it's not so much of a laugh as a 'woof' really.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

See you all in about 40 minutes.

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Less than a minute now!

20. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Here we go....!