Episode 2 - Fathers and Suns

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Urgamanix, Oct 11, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

But see, this is the problem. The best evidence you can find to back this up is a question someone asked on Yahoo answers and the source is apparently a five year old! Do you see the total absurdity in claiming that this shows that it IS happening?

Despite the "weak evidence" you were happy to regurgitate it as a stone cold fact earlier in your post and THAT is also the problem: that people hear a story and, without questioning it, regurgitate it to someone else (usually embellishing it a little) until hundreds of people have heard this thing that definitely happened to someone they never met at a place they don't work and the lie becomes the truth.

What you've done in this topic is a microcosm of what's happening in society in general. In a very real sense it's a huge game of chinese whispers!

And with that this topic has now circled around on itself and officially eaten its own tail! :shock:

2. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

A quick Google later, I've come up with this and this ...

I have no doubt the blackboard thing is complete nonsense, although the nursery rhyme rumour did not stem from nowhere. The links to slavery and colonialism appear tenuous though and even if they do exist, they have long been forgotten by all but academics.

I think these are isolated events in small institutions, probably trying to attract media attention for whatever reason, and the press will always take the "PC gone wild" bait.

3. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Find me this genius child that wrote this at the age of 5 years old! And have him explain to me why his young nephew was coming home and asking him that, and why he, a 5 year old, didn't know the answer himself, being a 5 year old child at school!

Like the dude above me said, no smoke without kippers ;-)

4. bedfordfalls

Good examples and they demonstrate exactly the point I made a couple of posts up. A silly decision is made by someone with good intentions but clearly out of touch with reality, is quickly derided and reversed....and yet many years later the prevailing view is STILL that "You're not allowed to sing Ba Ba Black sheep in nurseries anymore".

It's strange because while I can totally understand the good intentions of the people who offered the original misguided advice hat I can't understand is the intentions that drive people to selectively pick apart the story, extract all the bits that are most sensationalist and then pass that off as the truth to everyone who will listen as evidence of a liberal conspiracy and a nanny state.

I seriously question what their agenda is?

I very obviously didn't say that the child wrote it. I said that you're, for some reason, only too willing to support what you wrote with "weak evidence" (your words I believe) collated from Yahoo answers where the SOURCE is (alledgedly) a five year old child! That's quite staggering.

As for your little cookery analogy, I wonder why you're so keen to keep stoking the embers of what is so obviously a damp squib.

5. dodgebizkit

Common sense takes the PC gone wild bait too.

6. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Bedford never stated that a 5 year old wrote that.

And there is often no smoke without fire, but in this case it appears to be a tiny one. As I said before, the rules may have just been put there for attention, or by a senior staff member who may have been a bit overzealous.

EDIT: Basically, what is said two posts above this. I didn't see that earlier.

7. bedfordfalls

That's usually where most of these stories come from. One slightly confused individual making a decision based on good intentions but a lack of understanding.

I've talked about it earlier but there are a whole generation of people who grew up with the "old way" of looking at race and being told that it was fine and acceptable...then they've come crashing into the "new way" where they are told that these things are no longer acceptable but they're not really sure why because that's the thing that nobody is telling them properly.

There are some who embrace it because they are glad to be rid of those times but they've embraced it a little too eagerly and gone OTT. As I say that's unfortunate but it stems from good intentions, not the desire to nanny or oppress people.

It's when stories like this are picked up and regurgitated as universal truths by people that I find it puzzling. I can understand why newspapers do it as they are agenda driven beasts but I can't understand why intelligent human beings so willfully assist them in spreading the disinformation.

We've now reached a kind of weird symbiosis with the press and the people where the people seem to crave stories that angry up their blood and the press, even when they are not being compelled to do so by the editorial slant of their newspapers, are willfully seeking out these stories of PC gone mad because they appear to have come to regard it as journalism! The story of the Russian electrician I mentioned several pages ago is a classic example of the level of absurdity that this has now reached.

8. dodgebizkit

Its 1am.. too late for this. Hope you guys don't think I'm rude not replying to what you said to me tonight but I am cream crackered.

A random thought about this episode is - will Lister ever get his guitar back?

9. bedfordfalls

If it's not too big a spoiler to break the policy, I've seen a picture from the next episode where he appears to have his guitar case with him...can't see the Les Paul (copy) though.

10. dodgebizkit

Thanks - am so tired I was looking for the "LIKE" button on your post before realising this wasn't facebook :P I do feel the guitar is quite an important part of red dwarf in the way that it is the center of many gags - they even proved that dave wasn't a psiren cos "that dude could play". It's also survived being destroyed at least twice - "Not even Mr Lister's guitar!" and starbug blowing up in BITR, not to mention almost burning in Marooned, thank Hendrix for camferwood!.

11. bedfordfalls

Not to mention its shapeshifting abilities over the series! I think based on its ability to change size shape and colour it may actually be a domesticated emohawk.