Episode 2 - Fathers and Suns

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Urgamanix, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Kipperbein

Kipperbein Second Technician

Ace !!

"You mad goth bastard !! :lol::lol:

Classic Red Dwarf if you ask me - excellent stuff!! 8:-(wink:

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I loved that. I liked it twice as much as Trojan, though if I'm being objective I'd say Trojan was the better episode.

There were a couple of really good Rimmer lines in there too.

3. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Well, that's it over, I'm purposely not watching the preview for next week as I don't want to spend a week finding it disappointing and weird looking before I sit down to watch it and probably find it quite good!

I have to say, I found thi episode to be much more enjoyable than Trojan. The acting seemed better, although I wasn't a fan of the overall storyline which was a bit too similar to Queeg for my liking and the Medi-Bot was typical Series 8. Also, where have these new robots come from?

One thing that really made me smile in this episode though? The computer sounds when buttons are pressed. I don't think they have been used since Series 5 (although they may have been used once briefly in 6 or 7 IIRC).

Originally I gave this episode a 5/10, but my final score now having seen it goes up to a 7/10. An improvement over last weeks for sure. :-)

4. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

The resolution felt very Dwarfy... wouldn't have felt out of place in the classic series IMO.

Funnily enough, I wanted to name my favourite joke, the one which had me cackling with laughter, but I can't remember it! I know it was in the Lister video scene... but hey ho, I'll get it on the repeat.

Overall, its on a par with trojan for me... 7/10.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Heh. Well that was okay, wasn't it?

It seems Pree had an inherent fault, but then again she probably wasn't meant to base her actions on someone like Arnold J. Rimmer.

Oh, and the clip from the next episode made me laugh. Especially that bit, right at the end.

6. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

Really liked Trojan but I prefer this.

I thought the father and son scenes was very funny. Lister emerging back onto Red Dwarf was very
    cool indeed. And the laughing gas scene was very funny.I love the interactions with vending machines.
    I gave Trojan a 7, I give father And Sun's a 7.5. I know better is to come but all in all a very good
    opening 2 episodes, the best since Series 6 :-)

7. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Yeah, didn't like it so much. I thought the sub-plot with the vending machines was a bit too broad with its humour... funny Taiwanese accent? Really?

I did enjoy the stuff with Lister, though. Ah well, can't win them all! Looking forward to next week, even though Dave seemingly gives a lot away in its previews!

8. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

A flawed, misconceived and badly-executed episode.

I will watch it again - maybe I'll like it more second time around - but on the first viewing it was a real disappointment.

9. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Hints of Marooned (i.e. the Guitar cut out)

Large dialogue with Lister.

Pree is downright... Um, well, hello ;-)

Fantastic preview for next week- and now I can finally breathe a sigh of relief for the Secret I've kept quiet with since January 7th.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've decided to not watch the preview this time, just because I want to go into episode 3 knowing as little as possible.

11. beansy1982

beansy1982 Third Technician

Was a little disappointed to be honest, enjoyed Trojan much more, I had heard reports the 2nd one isn't that great and the third is great

12. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I haven't watched the preview and don't wanna know... So I guess if you're gonna talk about it, I'll have to avoid further discussion of this episode until next week!

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i thought it was better then trojan, but again the subplot about chinese whispers didn't need to be there and wasnt funny, and abit to much over use of vending machines for my liking

14. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I personally really liked the episode. I thought it was a good story, had some great moments (lister flying up the ram scoop for instance) and some great laughs. Unlike last week me and my gf were laughing out loud at some things. I loved listers video convo with himself for instance. I really enjoyed the episode and honestly think it is better than anything from BTE, Series 8 or 7. I give it a Cloud's 8/10.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I've just deleted a reference to the ep three trailer, as people in this thread have specifically said they don't want to see it. So please don't discuss ep three in here - keep it to the spoiler thread only. Thanks.

16. cravedisorder

cravedisorder Skutter

I really wanted to like this one but it sadly it does seem like they are being caricatures( excuse spelling) of themselves. Watching series 4 now and you can really see the difference in the show. The storyline in this episode makes me feel like this is Red Dwarf Lite.
    I hope thats the worst out the way and we get a really awesome episode 3!!
    Fingers crossed

17. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think I'm going to have to avoid the previews from now on... next weeks episode looks pretty good but it gave SO much away!

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

well..

The Lister video sequence was pretty funny, but apart from that I wasn't a big fan. Prefered Trojan.

Some of the plot seemed good, the whole issue of predictive action was clever and how lister got Pree to shut down was too but it felt a bit weak in execution. I also think the medi bot actor was awful and the casting of Pree could have been better. Oh well I hope Lemons is not a Lemon. Also the chinese whispers subplot was pointless, I know it gave lister the idea to shut down pree but he could have just thought of it without that convoluted thread

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I found the Chinese Whispers thread quite amusing and cleverly done.

On comparing this episode the previous, I think Trojan possibly had a better story, but this was funnier. While I liked Trojan, I was a bit unsure when I first saw it, but I pretty much liked this first time.

20. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

liked this episode about the same as trojan it was good but i felt like there was a bit much going on 7/10