Episode 2 - Fathers and Suns

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Urgamanix, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Looking forward to the repeat- side note- anyone else find a slight sync delay between audio and visual on dave? The mouths don't quite quite sync up with the sound.

Be interesting to see how opinions change, if they do, after second viewing.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes. I noticed this during Trojan as well.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Gordon, that's right. I should have remembered that. It's my Dad's name (and my second name) after all. And it seems I was a season too soon as well.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i personally found it more like the early dwarf of series 5 and prefered it to trojan, but a few things i wasnt that fond of is the use of vending machines that felt abit over used and the chinese whispers subplot, and the dentist computer

its kinda taking away the lonely-ness when there is so many voices other then the main 4

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

With this new series, I don't feel like the comedy is like old red dwarf at all. I feel it's like BTE and a bit VII and VIII, just it's more like the BEST bits of those series (and there were good bits)

More specifically, Trojan felt like the best of recent Dwarf, Father and Suns felt like they just removed the WORST of those series but didn't put in a lot of good bits either. It was all a bit "meh" apart from dave's video talk. And I'm not a fan of Lister being his own father, but they did make that part funny.

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I will watch this episode again as I always enjoy stuff better the second time round, but apart from the Lister speech to himself and the "mad goth bastard" line there was nothing in this episode that made me think Red dwarf is back to it's greatness. I just hope the next 4 episodes are not going to be more of the same.

7. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

GNP, Tell Dave they've got their subtitles wrong. 'Your Mechbook is mine!'?

8. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I don't think this series will focus that much on keeping that sense of loneliness in space. It didn't in Trojan, didn't (so well) in this episode, and definitely will not in Lemons. We will see about the rest.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing; RD has always had guest stars. I think the vending machine subplot did detract from the story, but it was funny enough.

The end seemed a bit deus ex machina-esque, especially as it came so suddenly.

Overall, it was a good episode, but I did not feel it reached the humour of Trojan, although the general plot was more interesting and felt like it progressed more than that of Trojan/

9. SleepySoul

SleepySoul Third Technician

Hmmm, not sure, and this is coming from someone who liked BTE and a select few episodes from 7&8. Need to give it another look, it may be a grower. Next weeks hopefully is a classic.

10. SgtSmileyUK

SgtSmileyUK Console Officer

I thought it was perfect red dwarf.
    it certainly transported myself back a couple of decades - dunno why people take it seriously -thats how you end up with a bte (the only one I aint watched, this was just dwarfy dwarfy, all red and snug and dwarfy.
    Top job to everyone involved!

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

im abit puzzed why doug feels he needs to have several plots going on in 1 episode as its something i can't really remember them doing in the past 1-8 series

12. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Trojan seemed better too me, i laughed at the laughing gas scene, too much like queeq? want too see some good scenes with the bug again. Next weeks ep looks like classic dwarf though. I liked it with Lister flying back too the Dwarf. The actors are on form. Did want norman too pop up at end though lol.

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

FIRST IMPRESSION:

I was very disappointed with that episode.

Another appalling, unfunny opening scene of no relevance whatsoever and a nothing ending.

Lister is Fry again.

Two plots that both had the potential to have a show each devoted to them slammed together with not enough time devoted to either of them.

And then we have the third plot....

I actually can't get past this. It's colouring everything positive I might have had to say.

Red Dwarf should never try to do "edgy" South Park style racism stuff. It's been a trope of the show since the outset that racism is one of the things it doesn't need to discuss. That a multi-racial cast has never needed to talk about race (something lauded by cast and writer on the DVD's) has always been a point where the show can be championed.

That Doug went in this direction....I'm honestly a bit lost for words.

I would be embarrassed to show this episode to friends because of the Taiwan Tony segments and I've sat through the Cartman "Chinese people" episode of South Park with a Chinese friend who laughed at it despite cringing.

Despite the clever idea at the centre of the joke that a conversation about chinese whispers end in a chinese whisper itself the "payoff" scene with Taiwan Tony smacked Doug trying to do edgy Ricky Gervais style material and bodging it to the extent that what was produced was merely offensive. This wasn't smart, clever, subversive or a "commentary" on racist comedy tropes like the comedy chinaman, that, I can only imagine Doug evidently thought it was.

Jarring, horrible, upsetting and, yes...offensive.

I'm actually angry that this stuff is now a part of a show I love.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well unless norman changes his mind i doubt that will ever happen

15. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I actually thought Norman was gonna pop up to, like the computer would reset and there's Holly looking confused.

I wasn't a fan of vending machines because they usually get food from the - well, I'll call them food machines. But it got me wondering - have they used the 'food machines' since Holly went down? Not to mention the fact that they were worried about supplies in BTE. Maybe the degradation of the ship will become a running theme (degradation since Holly went - I know it'd always been a bit useless). I'd like to think it'll lead to the triumphant return of Holly, but, like the ending to Fathers and Suns, I don't think so.

The voices on the ship have always been there. The 'food machines' talked. So did the toaster. There have always been more than four voices on Red Dwarf, although I suspect it was noticed more in Fathers and Suns because of how prevalent it was.

I'll be watching the repeat.

16. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Another fantastic episode! I loved Trojan and I enjoyed Fathers and Suns just as much. Really funny and very cleverly done, the whole thing with Lister communicating with himself!
    I can't believe how picky some people are being on here, nitpicking, just enjoy it! Dwarf is back and it is awesome!

17. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yes I didnt feel that was right, didnt like that bit really.

18. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yes didnt get that bit didnt feel it was right.

19. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Far from offensive (nothing negative towards Asian people) but it was immature and like you said it ruined the non race streak they had run up.

I wish it turned out rimmer had tinnitus.

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It was offensive if it offended people.

It offended me and seeing comments of other fans on other websites I wasn't alone.