Episode 2 - Fathers and Suns

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Urgamanix, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I wonder if some folk here are actual Red Dwarf fans or random folk just here to stir things up and be negative

2. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I may be negative, but Red Dwarf is my favourite sit-com ever and this new series hasn't lived up to the 16 month wait tbh, too many problems, flaws and jokes that fall flat in these opening couple, where as in episodes such as Quarantine, Justice etc there isn't one bad thing about them, if there is tell me now I'd like to know

3. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

OK, this may sound like a really stupid question, but even though I only watched the show 3 hours ago, I can't remember... What was the noise Rimmer said he kept hearing, was it explained? I can't remember! :eek:ops::lol:

4. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I get the feeling you wanted to dislike any new Red Dwarf. The overwhelming praise has spoken for itself, its a triumph, as for 'flaws' and 'problems' that is just a matter of opinion, Red Dwarf has never been perfect! My favourite episode ever - Psirens - is full of flaws!

5. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Psirens is brilliant, name a flaw please?

6. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

This. Still, it never mentioned the ethnicity of any characters in the show (except the voice of a machine) so... I'm kind of able to sweep over it. It hasn't mentioned the fact that rimmer is white but the other two humans are darker colours, or even gone into something they cou Le easily get away with, like its bad luck to see a black cat, referring to the cat's colour not being down to race but down to the colour felis sapien he is, in the same way that a cat can be black or white. That could be something they could easily get away with but I'm glad they never did it. Whatever, it is done. Lets not make it a negative point, red dwarf is back and we don't have whiny Kriten, lister being a wimp in kochanski's wake, and Kochanski isn't a main character. Some real good things to focus on. Best thing? RED DWARF IS BACK!

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

There was no real payoff. It was just the "ship falling apart". I think many people have analysed that because it was used in a trailer and expected something more of it, especially with last weeks hologramatic troubles.

8. dodgebizkit

I wanted it to turn out that it was tinnitus, but it turns out it was problems in the ship, that pree fixed incorrectly later on.

9. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

iv been wondering this. just re-watched it and it's not explained. If it was purely a set up for Lister's remark "it's you, stop talking gag" it was a poor one.

also, I notice Pree wasn't blonde ... thats annoyed me a bit!

otherwise I think it was a great episode. So the comedy was a little broad in places, but it all tied in and came to a brilliant conclusion at the end.

10. bedfordfalls

Would you care to share what you thought was "brilliant" about the conclusion? I found it to be possibly the lamest since Krytie TV. I thought the whole final scene could have been exercised which would also have enabled them to chop the poor opening scene and add more pacing to the good ideas that the show did have.

11. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Pay attention, I said Psirens is my favourite episode ever. Flaw? Listers nails growing while in stasis!

12. bedfordfalls

Just another little point? Did it bother anybody else that the audience roared with laughter when Lister was sucked out into space, potentially killing him? The gravitas of that moment was completely killed for me by that laughter and I wonder if it was natural or pasted in as with the Trojan towing scene.

13. ben996

ben996 First Technician

No I meant I think it's brilliant, it's one of my faves also :-) and that fingernail bit was awesome and lead into some hilarious lines between him and Kryten which then lead to some great Rimmer and Cat jokes at the meeting, one of the best episodes

14. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Sorry I just got what you meant, he shouldn't have aged/grown stuff whatever, but it was a different type of stasis on Starbug so it could have altered how it's done

15. bedfordfalls

One of the books (Last Human I think) explains it as Starbug's stasis field not being perfect so only freezing time by 99%.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

doug needs to decide what plot matters most in these episodes because he has so much going on in them

17. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

So I guess the 'flaws' in this series can be answered in a similar fashion! My point is that Red Dwarf has never been perfect in that sense, but Is the greatest show ever!

18. dodgebizkit

I do realise that knowing this makes me uncool and may lead to me getting beaten up at some point, but I remember it being referred to as a deep sleep unit and not actual stasis, later on in another episode, I think the one with reality bubbles, kryten figured out how to fit an actual stasis field into the deep sleep unit so they wouldn't be affected by unreality, unlike hippies in the 60's who encountered as much reality as a post man that dreams of earning a Nobel prize for curing rare tropical diseases.

19. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Some points:

Lister definitely feels like a different character. The acting is different as is his character. He's more mature, and I think it'll take some time to get used to.

The sets look great, especially the corridors.

The acting was brilliant, as usual, but Kryten was definitely more subdued, but after last week, it was welcome.

Was Kryten getting food from a vending machine? Does he eat now?

As childish as it sounds, I enjoyed the breast size gag. There was a nice rapport between the two actors. I also enjoyed the fact that Rimmer didn't care about the computer's personality (this comes back later). The predictive behaviour aspect was clever, too.

Regarding the whole blonde issue, I noticed Rimmer was about to complain when Cat stumbled in. A raised finger, but never said what he wanted to say. I feel like it was going to be "she's not blonde".

Whilst Lister drunk was a good bit of acting, for a man of his age I found it a tad tragic and uncomfortable to watch.

On second viewing, the Dave talking to Dave was the best part of the episode. Really wonderful scene. I wonder if Lister gets his guitar back.

Who was the little child who said 'Dave'? I found that really chilling.

The whole Chinese Whispers sub-plot became painful and felt very un-Dwarf.

I liked the airlock scene ("Hang on! I gotta get me glove on!")

Why didn't Red Dwarf self-destruct and instead went for the heart of a sun? Suspense, perhaps?

The resolution was good. That's all I can say about it.

Oh, also, what the hell was Cat wearing?

Some of my favourite lines:

Kryten: "We so miss Holly".
    Rimmer: "True. We just don't get the same quality of cock-up these days, do we?"

Rimmer: "You're saying that because I would've cocked all this up, you cocked it all up for me?"

Rimmer: "You mean the point where sun cream and floppy hats are no defence because our noses have started melting onto our shoes which are now floating down the corridor in a river made up our own leg gravy?"

Rimmer: "How long you mad Goth bastard?"

(yes, Rimmer got the best lines in my eyes).

I'll bump my rating up to 6/10, with Trojan still at 8/10.

20. dodgebizkit

Kryten often brings Food to lister, and sometimes maybe to cat.

I believe the voice was Kochanski, not a child.