RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Kryten needs a shave!

I really want to try this. But I've resisted downloading Snapchat for years. I really don't want to give in just because there's a Kryten filter :-D

The only way I can rationalise it does actually make sense. There likely had to be a more prominent change in them to properly convey that their droid-ness(?) was taking over. Both Craig and Danny started changing too, but Craig was more channelling the David Ross era Kryten.

2. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

There isn't - but there's a generic filter that will work with any clear photo of a face. I've had good results turning myself into Batman and Ziggy Stardust too! Hours of fun.

Pembers and Chris D like this.
  4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Also, I've discovered it works on the telly. I Krytenified Lenny Henry, then turned him into Salvador Dali and Batman.

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I noticed this too, there are several scenes where you can see the shape of Craig's real head under the mask.
    Said it before, but Kryten is getting more tank-like with each passing series. He used to be a regular person shape. He'll be getting stuck in doorways soon.
    All great questions. I noticed that they "blackfaced" Cat's mech, but Lister somehow ended up the whitest of all, even though he's the second-darkest! I also noticed that Cat's mech still had fangs. My theory on the fangs and the H is that the mechs must be 3D-printed off a laser scan. There must be a set mechifying difference where they sharpen up the corners, but the fangs and the H stay. Really I don't see the point of it, I mean why not put them into generic mechs.
    Rimmer's Kryten voice did get a bit over-the-top, but the point is that they're all losing their individual personalities and turning mech.

6. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I think what Hubbard is getting at is that it's established in the episode that mechanoids all have different voices. They don't all sound like Kryten. Why, then, did the dwarfers' voices start becoming like Kryten's as their personalities faded?

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Yeah, good point. The whole episode was an excuse to have them impersonate Kryten, by any means necessary.

8. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Exactly, even Cat and Lister started talking like Kryten for some reason. Yet all other mechs had individual voices, radically different from each other.

And Lister, Cat and Rimmer in mech form was just so stupid. They transferred their brains into pre-constructed mechanoid bodies; so why would those bodies have their individual traits like fangs, an H and skin colour??

Presumably the MILF's had done this to other humans (or whatever) they had captured over time. So presumably there would be other mechs with visible individual personal traits too, but we see none, they're all the same. Doesn't make any sense and is a bad plot error to me. Again, I know why they did it (for comedic and recognition purposes), but its dumb.

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I don't think the mech bodies /were/ pre-constructed, I think the mechs took a 3D laser scan and constructed mech-bodies to the specifications of Cat, Lister and Rimmer. Hence the H and the fangs. Which leaves the plot-hole of "why did they bother", but I think that's a smaller plot-hole than "why did they happen to have empty mech-bodies that looked like mech versions of Cat, Lister and Rimmer".

Abe and hubbard like this.
  10. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

The mechs that look like them didn't make a huge amount of sense, but it's a similar kind of cartoon logic to the way Cat's clothes change to match his personality in Polymorph and Emohawk. I just wish they'd included Lister's trademark feature too, and given him dreads made out of computer cables.

Abe likes this.
  11. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I wish they'd made mech-Lister darker to match Charles'/Lister's actual skin-tone, instead of him suddenly becoming Casper the friendly mech. He looks whiter than Rimmer.

12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It would also help to have him be more instantly recognisable in an episode full of mechs. The main bad guys have their Gestapo accessories, and the other two Dwarfers have trademark details preserved. These distinctions serve a storytelling purpose, because the episode has the potential to be visually quite confusing (e.g., I wasn't quite sure whose hand was getting cut off, until I saw Lister without it in a subsequent scene).

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I wonder if there wasn't some awkwardness over race behind-the-scenes. With Charles (and presumably Lister) being mixed-race I wonder if maybe they couldn't get his colour right and worked themselves into a tizz about it so decided to make him white.

I remember in Coronation Street I noticed the opposite issue with his character Lloyd. He would often walk into the Rovers with heavy brown makeup on looking far darker than Charles actually is, in what seemed a deliberate effort to make him black.

Bloke can't win, but I just thought given they gave Cat brown face and hands, it's inconsistent. And like you say, anything to differentiate the characters helps. Lister looks the least recognisable, I didn't know it was him with the mop in the trailer.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  14. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I suspect the lighter skin tone is the standard for mechs (I've only seen the episode once and didn't notice any variation among the mech, although I wasn't looking for any), and because Craig's tone is actually quite light they didn't think it worth changing it for his mech. However, as you say, his was the least recognisable mech, and it would have helped assuage confusion in some scenes.

15. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I honestly doubt the mechs really cared that much about race politics either, I imagine that near enough is good enough for them.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  16. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

I loved this episode. The opening with Cat, Rimmer, and especially Lister had me in stitches. The plain acceptance of the Mark2s that the Mark3s were superior was perfect. 10 grams lighter, perfect.

An episode like this makes me hopeful for series XIII.

Pembers likes this.
  17. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

For now, I'm taking this explanation for the Starbug thing:

At some point, it's mentioned that Rimmer gets all the Starbugs repainted to fill in the numbers for all the wrecked ones left behind.

After the VIII microbe situation, they somehow wound up with a fully restocked Red Dwarf.

Things managed to happen to 18 Starbugs over the 10+ years it's been. It happens a lot. Maybe he just reordered the Starbugs for his own system, who knows. Maybe it's alphabetical by special capabilities, arranged by slight color differences, or even just set up by which is most usable (maybe this one's the sturdiest one left).

When Rimmer repaints the Starbugs, he hasn't got the gear or maybe just doesn't bother to repaint the insides.

Within four weeks, this will likely be highly irrelevant.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  18. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Going back over in my head I am leaning more towards the positive on this one, but for whatever reason it's an episode I really struggle to get me feeling on with the first watch. There is a lot I really like about it, with some of the best character moments in the Dave era.......but it was also over stuffed, and feels like an episode that could have benefitted from being double the length. It seems to me this episode was just too big and ambitious for a half hour format......almost seems like Doug hasn't fully gotten the idea of a Red Dwarf movie out of his system.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  19. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I doubt Chris Barrie's lifespan would have benefited from the episode being double the length.

The Cat likes this.
  20. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Is Siliconia the plural of Siliconium?