RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

What time do you think Timewave will be up on UKTV play because it’s not the FIRST episode to air so do you think it will be before of after Siliconia has aired?

2. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I would guess Friday morning is your safest bet to check. If last year is anything to go by.

The Cat likes this.
  3. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

It’s weird though because on the ‘Ready To Play’ article, it does actually say that it will be previewed a week early, not six days or anything so hopefully it will be when it says.

4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Okay but last week it was on at around 10:30 thursday evening uk I think? UKTV do seem to have said that they're committed to getting it up same day.

The Cat likes this.
  5. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Anyway what do you thinks actually going to happen in Timewave because all we even know is that they find a ship where critism is illegal, washed up from the 23rd century. What’s supposed to even happen, each of them being repeatedly punished because they always criticise and then eventually arrested... there must be more to the plot, anyone have any ideas?

6. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I didn't know any of that about that upcoming episode. But then I avoid the press. It's probably best to avoid discussing it until a thread is created by the forum moderator specifically for that discussion, so as to avoid spoilers.

7. Paul Taylor

Having said that, welcome to the forum @The Cat :-)

8. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I’M SO SORRY! I assumed we could talk about it as it is on the website on the Still To Come part, so I assumed that wouldn’t count as spoilers. Also thank you!

9. Paul Taylor

Yeah, I don't read the website stuff either. If it's been officially published there it's probably fine to discuss it. I'll just have to look away. I just didn't want you earning the ire of our moderator in your first few posts. :-)

The Cat likes this.
  10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Just to clarify:

Information that has been officially been released can be discussed anywhere in the RDXI/XII section, so long as the thread has a RDXII tag (which this one does).

It's only the rest of the episode content that can only be mentioned in its own episode-specific thread.

So in short: it's fine to quote the official synopsis for Timewave in this thread! Appreciate you recommending "better safe than sorry", Paul, but in this instance there's no foul.

(Although, that said, this still probably isn't the best place for it! It doesn't break spoiler policy, but if you want to get an answer to your question from other people this isn't the most likely place...)

The Cat likes this.
  11. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Again I am sorry, I should’ve been more careful. I would ask where the best place would be, but I guess I should just be patient and wait for the episode tomorrow haha!

Edit: Ah... just spotted the new Timewave discussion thread... oops :picard:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  12. Paul Taylor

On the telly-box, that unexplained object during the 'guitar in space' shot looks awfully like an artificial object. But moments later there is clearly a moon orbiting that planet. So I'm going with it being the moon.

13. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Wow... So, just finished watching Siliconia for the first time. I'll admit for ages now this has been the episode I worried about most, the everyone-becomes-Kryten episode, as I guessed it would all end up being quite silly. MILF gag aside, I reckon that's the most thoughtful Red Dward has been since series VII (Tikka).

First half up until the ad break, I really, really enjoyed it. I was laughing all the way through, although I couldn't hold back being irked by Lister and the guitar. He could play it last week! I'm wishing that Lister/Hitler jamming session never happened now!

Then the main plot unfolded with the crew being taken in by the mechanoids, and turned into mechs themselves. Seeing how Lister, Rimmer and the Cat dealt with being mechs was great. The one element I was worried about most turned out to be the best thing about the episode, as in how it explored the psyche of the characters. I like as well that this explored the Lister/Kryten relationship, which I've always been fond of as a Dwarf fan. Rimmer's acceptance of his 'Krytenization' was brilliant characterisation, and the Robert Llewellen impersonations by the guys was another nice touch.

But the ending... Um, well... I don't know what to say. I haven't yet digested it properly, but I will say after seeing it on first viewing, I was genuinely thinking "what the hell was that?!?" So Siliconia arrives and makes the mechanoids equal, or upgraded. Or something like that (I dunno, I didn't write it). I do think if Doug Naylor intended for that conclusion to be up to our interpretations of what it means, then that's pretty cool. I kind of see it as a comment on how technology's always upgrading, but remains in essence the same thing.

But on the other hand, within the context of the episode, what was Siliconia, that ship which "upgraded" the mechs? Where was it from? Why did it come? Why was Kryten so urgent in getting Lister, Rimmer and the Cat out of there (all the mechanoids seemed quite peaceful the very last we see them)? Was it a profound ending, or a bit of a cop-out? At this point, I genuinely don't know... All this in mind though, again I'll say this was a very thoughtful episode indeed.

I'd give Siliconia a 7 out of 10 score. I'm tempted to give it 7.5 but the ending has thrown me somewhat. I gave Cured a 6 last week, but upon initial viewing I think Siliconia is a lot better. Roll on episode three!

14. NornIronRDFan

NornIronRDFan Third Technician

So just watched Siliconia tonight. It just didn't really float my boat, I prefer just to see the 4 boys smegging around on Red Dwarf or Starbug. I'll admit I wasn't quite in "the zone" as I had other things on my mind (No not MILFS ). Although the beauty of a red dwarf episode is that sometimes when you watch an episode the more, it gets more enjoyable and pleasing to watch. I'm hoping I'll find that out with this Siliconia. I look forward to Timewave next week (I hear it's brilliant) and the season finale is a bit special apparently. So maybe I'll watch that to get MILFS off my mind!.... Now where is that button to skip ahead to next week?

15. Matthew Polson

Matthew Polson Third Technician

My favourite bit was the freedom for the Mechanoid Intergalatic Liberation Front bit aka 'MILF' X

ClareGC likes this.
  16. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

pretty bad. Pity, as the episode premise had so much potential. If this had being written five series back it would have being a classic. Instead we get lame jokes about milfs, lookalikes that make no sense, given the generic droid look they should have, a plot device to enable 'everybody kryten out' time and a week and ridiculously contrived and coincidental that has all the hallmarks of modern day sitcom terrible writing to it. Rd writers, give it up ffs, you can't write like you could two decades ago, there's only so much 'who they gonna meet this week' recycled hilarity I can take. An interesting thing I did notice is that rimmer done up as kryten looked like the classic old kryten of old, before Robert lewellyn became the bloated old blimp he now is,

it's a pity this thread has being cleaned up, because what went on on it sounds ten times more interesting than this episode was

17. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I enjoyed the episode and the themes in general. I like the ideas and philosophies ticking along underneath the episodes, and enjoy how they take relevant science and current politics and boil them down into something that's still somehow light-hearted and funny. This episode was a good example of that.

More importantly though, I am laughing out loud, not at all of it, but it is making me laugh and smile. So few new TV comedies seem capable of producing proper belly laughs but these old farts can still do it so good on them.

The only thing is the black suits and some of the masks worn by the extras were distractingly more Kryten-like than Kryten himself, which I found weird. Lister looked utterly bonkers as a droid.

I was also reminded of Out Of Time a little bit with the Kryten role-reversal it had for a bit in that episode.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  18. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This episode is an odd beast, I didn't know what I thought of it when I first watched it......but the more I think about it, the more it grows on me. I will need to see it again to properly rank it, but who knows.....maybe I'll end up really loving it!

The Cat and RainbowGazelle like this.
  19. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

In general I think the series needs to make the episodes longer.. they are what, 22 minutes? That just isn't enough time. Both episodes so far seem rushed and deus ex machina solving it all...

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

To be fair, it was at least said they were in search of Siliconia so there was at least some telegraphing of it........but it was all far too abrupt. I like the idea that the divine thing they were searching for and worshiped was just a software update, but it was so skimmed over. This episode was oozing with such rich ideas that you couldn't fully fit it all into a half hour format. Never has there been an episode so begging to be longer!

The Cat likes this.