RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

"Pub." Ah, yes: a meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks

Pembers likes this.
  2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Great. I'll have a watch sometime later.

3. sd99

sd99 Skutter

Loved cured, and all of series 11, but Siliconia was awful. So disappointed.

4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I'd like to counter @sd99 with another opinion. I thought it was a really well-done episode with a good ending which was easily better than Cured and is probably in the top 3 Dave Era. I'll have to see how it stands up to a second watch.

5. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Couldn't disagree more with Sd99, had so many nice touches, rimmer becoming Kryten was nice, Kryren coming to the rescue at the end, my only complaint yet again is alot was tried to fit in to the story, this was crying ouf for an extra 5 minutes, Strange 2 guitar stories two weeks apart, and yes Lister at the end plays the guitar like a noob. A good 6/10

6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

To be clear, so far I'd put for XII (ratings given for how well it stands up as Red Dwarf, not as TV, since that would most always be 7s and up:-(

Cured - 5/10
    Siliconia - 8-8.5/10 (tentatively, we'll see with further rewatches)

Please don't be afraid of watching this one.

7. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Didn't really like this episode much. There were a couple of good jokes but the story seemed too rushed. The acting, sets and cgi were all great though.

So far...
    Cured 7.5/10
    Siliconia 5/10

8. sundayforsammy

Chris Barries' Kryten voice was a good match to Roberts Kryten voice but I had not realized how very Ronald Reagan it was until then, Of course Chris was Reagans voice in Spitting Image.
    This episode for me I have to say was very disappointing overall,

Lister become a crap guitar player again over the course of one episode is a major problem, I know he wasn't a great player with Hitler but he had improved, so retuning to be really awful is just lazy writing.

Good points though were cat and the Red Dwarf fly by music.

9. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

I really wanted to like this. I really did. There was a lot of ground they covered by becoming like Kryten and understanding how he lives. There was a lot to mine from it, especially considering in DNA he became human and this was a nice balance to that. However, and this is the first time it's ever happened, I didn't laugh once at any joke in this episode. I may have cracked a smile (the Jenga head insult), but overall I didn't really enjoy this one. I'll rewatch and maybe my initial impressions will change.

10. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I loved it! It's one of the most ridiculous episodes of Red Dwarf ever made, but I thought it was great. Again, as with Cured, still not on par with anything from Series XI but I'd say 7/10

11. KipperBreakfast

KipperBreakfast Skutter

Granted nice new idea with the boys being mechs and they looked good, but.. More of the same relying on old stuff, Silly shaped head, boys from the dwarf, listers guitar playing, schmee hee (altho i liked how it was lister who did it), etc but they all used to be 1 to 2 episodes of use. Every single episode of all of the newer series has countless jokes ideas and references (oh hey remember when...yes we remember!) back to the old stuff im constantly rolling my eyes lol doug shouldnt be afraid of new jokes/ideas there isnt enuf of them

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  12. sundayforsammy

The best episode ever. You'll like it. Well, SOME of it. Well, ONE bit of it. Maybe.
    Reused jokes.
    Awful episode very disappointed.

KipperBreakfast likes this.
  13. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed it, though like XI the ending felt a bit rushed. I think it was a good plot and well executed, not the funniest episode but a good one in my opinion.

14. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

Engaging Smug Mode....I've just seen the episode and I rather liked it. Full of peril and nice sprinkling of Sci-fi cliches but in places more plot than jokes. The crew slowly losing their traits added for me real moments of tension, though quickly resolved really mixed both pathos and humour, Rimmer's speech about Fish tanks homaging Lister's squirrel envy from series 4. More in the style of the first series, this explored themes and attached the odd joke bit to balance out the darker sides of the plot. Kryten-centric episodes have worked and misfired in the show from the superb DNA and The Last Day to the clunky Beyond than Joke (Sorry Bobby). This side of Kryten's relationship with the crew has been vaguely explored before and this extension of it into a society made want to see where else Series 12 will play with the shows format.

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Meh. Similar feelings to the first episode.

Did anyone catch what Lister was saying about his colander? It sounded like, "From Les Caul to Les Paul." Presumably a spot of wordplay, but I can't think what Les Caul would be?

I thought the planetoid turning up in Cured was a bit convenient, but Siliconia's arrival really stretched credulity.

Lovely reuse of a music cue from series one or two - not sure exactly where it was from originally - but it's the one that plays when it cuts to Kryten being pampered.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Another unusual episode. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would, and I liked it better than Cured. As ever, I'll give a proper review after I've seen the episode again.

17. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

We shall all be on the edges of our seats waiting :roll:

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Good. I'm glad you love my reviews so much, Ant.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I thought it was decent up until the ending when it suddenly rushed to the finish and sorta hurt it for me

Visually though it looked Great.

My nitpick is the android self help session where I thought it got abit silly.

The everyone is Kryten thing I thought was much better handled then it could have ended up.

20. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Loved it.

Best episode of the Dave era for me minus the beginning which just beats it.

The jokes kept me laughing, the everyone is kryten things worked brilliantly, and I loved the general concept.

Only niggles are the underuse of James Buckley, and perhaps the slightly rushed ending.

But yeah. I loved it. A solid 8.5/10.

I have cured a 6, so the current series average is 7.3 (rounded) placing it above elevens 7.1.(rounded)

Obviously 4 eps to go but XI is currently the highest ranking series since 7, although tin the interest of fairness, after 2 episodes, XI was on 8. So we will see.

Still, loved it. Felt like real, proper old school dwarf, but with the glossy beautiful cinematography the Dave era has done so wonderfully.