RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I do wish there were less call backs in modern Dwarf for me personally.

When there was that little throw back to camille is just feels so diluted and awkward.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

While I'm still digesting this episode in my head, I feel like maybe the idea was just too large to fit a half hour format. This episode really tried to do a lot and I feels over stuffed as a result with some things not feeling like it had time to breath. That said there was stuff I really liked here, Rimmer giving up on his own humanity and free will was a powerful scene to me honestly....that might even be for me my favourite scene in modern Red Dwarf.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

MIND. BLOWN!

Pembers, DivineVarod and jmc2000 like this.
  4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]

Can anyone explain what the ship we see moving across the top right of this scene is?

The scene preceding this sees all of the crew in Red Dwarf. As does the following scene. So what is the craft flying about in the scene?

5. Trauntrian

Trauntrian Third Technician

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Who cares??

Nikki the Great likes this.
  7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I must admit I enjoyed this a lot more on second watch. I noticed as well that the Colander 'Les Col' guitar Lister had was painted in VAN HALEN Stripes. :-)
    Still the 'Clean off' and 'Therapy session' wasn't really funny (to me) and the time could have been used better in the story.

8. Smelkus

Smelkus Skutter

I wonder how many of the mechanoids who appeared in this episode were original mechanoids and how many were former humans who had their mind transferred to mech bodies but lost their former human identity

9. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I reckon anyone who wants to comment on Lister’s guitar playing should have to upload a video of themselves ‘marmalading’ or whatever the phrase is to show that they know what they are talking about.

Nikki the Great, jmc2000 and Ant E like this.
  10. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Just watched it again with the benefit of sobriety and enjoyed it even more, a really good episode. I thought the MILFs were just the right balance of silly and serious and enjoyed the way the gang started enjoying being mechs. Chris Barrie was the man of the match in this episode for me. Enjoyed James Buckley and agree he could/should have had a bit more screen time.

This one just nudges ahead of Cured in my opinion, by an odd shaped nose, 7.75/10.

11. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Explain this!

The fairground-style grabber employed by Starbug, and the larger one used by the MILFs, both seem to be under the influence of gravity. But the vessels themselves are weightless. Because they're in the gravity well of a planet, we can safely assume they're in orbit around it (i.e., freefalling around it, rather than towards it). Therefore, the grabbers should also be weightless.

Also, why didn't mechanoid Lister have dreadlocks made of ethernet cables? Come on guys, it's not rocket science.

I give up on this show sometimes.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  12. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

The spirit of Salty Bill lives on inside all of us.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Nice connection! I wonder whether that was an intentional callback or just a happy accident.

I liked this episode a great deal. It made me laugh, think a little, and it was quite different to previous dwarf. Oddly, I think we learned as much about Rimmer as Kryten in this episode. I loved the gags about the Cat's small mind. I preferred this to 'Cured', and I'm giving it eight out of ten.

DivineVarod likes this.
  14. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Is it me, or is Craig's mask clearly on its last legs during the "Kryten! What are you doing?!" scene? It's like he's fighting to resist a major underbite, and getting a mild speech impediment in the process. "Mark three'sh - mark two'sh - you're all the sh'ame!"

Also, spotted a script error - Rimmer has a line that makes no grammatical sense:

"Only those who never allow questioning thoughts blur their devotion to the MILF cause should escape correction."

It should be either:

"Only those who never allow questioning thoughts to blur their devotion to the MILF cause should escape correction."

Or:

"Only those who never let questioning thoughts blur their devotion to the MILF cause should escape correction."

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Rimmer's "fish" speech was a lovely moment for the canon. Especially the callback (whether deliberate or otherwise) to "I am a fish"

DivineVarod and Paul Taylor like this.
  16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I'm loving all the "callbacks". I especially don't understand complaining about the "callback" to Fathers & Suns - it's called a story. Cause and effect. Something happened in an earlier episode and consequences are felt in this one. He ejected his guitar into space two series ago and now they've found it. I was over the moon, especially given I'd only just mentioned it in my commentary on Cured. Are Red Dwarf fans now so used to bad continuity that they regard good continuity as an interpolation? I love the feeling that episodes are part of an ongoing story in the same universe rather than stand-alone adventures that reset to status quo every 24 minutes.

Ant E likes this.
  17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I thought it was a moon.

18. davidjames

davidjames Skutter

Enjoyable episode, really well done.

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Is it me or is Kryten the worst ironer. Check the ironing scene, it's like he's scrubbing.

20. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

It's Red Dwarf. The Big Rouge one in the background witch I presumed Kryten was looking out the right side window sees the guitar.