RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

What bothers me abit about that one is that its Rimmer who gives the call back explanation since Rimmer wasn't there and seems to know enough about it to explain it like he was.

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I think we can assume they all know what happened. They obviously noticed Lister wasn't playing his guitar anymore.

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

The Father and Suns lost guitar call back didn't bother me at all, it's the Lister sorta can/can't play guitar continuity that is all over the place.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Oh i meant the lister being his own dad thing.

I think we was on the wrong page.

5. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

What if Lister CAN play guitar when he's alone and only plays badly on purpose when he knows Rimmer is around?

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Thats a call back i don't mind because its only 2 series ago, but when its like hey remember 7 series ago to this event that we haven't mentioned in the show before now... it just feels awkward IMO.

Perhaps its because the callbacks feel abit like wallpaper to make the episodes look and sound better? i dunno, maybe.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Series 6 gives the impression Lister can't play guitar but only thinks he can.

Look at psirens.

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Did anyone else notice that mech-Lister is the whitest?

9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Well, I don't think this is a continuity problem. Siliconia, again, shows him "sort of" being able to play guitar. He can strum in time and approximate some basic riffs, like he did in Cured (try skipping to 26:20 of Siliconia). However, he's mediocre enough (and his musical taste is jarring enough) that the rest of the crew could plausibly think it's noise pollution.

If we actually review the whole run of episodes, his guitar-playing has improved very slowly, without flopping back and forth too much. When he plays The Indling Song in series one, he can't even strum in time, or change chord mid-flow. Five years later, when he tries to prove he can play in Psirens, he's got as far as learning a scale and some "almost there" fingering (I'm not saying it's good, but it's much better than The Indling Song).

EDIT: I'd forgotten about the one-handed guitar-playing at the start of Nanarchy. Again, it's bad, but some if it is quite catchy if you like that sort of thing. It's certainly rhythmical, and that comes from Lister getting in sync with Kryten. His aimless sliding up and down the fretboard show him experimenting with the power chord shape, which is a staple of rock music. Also, he remarks at the end of the session that he's "only half crap" nowadays. So he's got increased sensitivity to rhythm, dawning awareness of how rock music is put together, and more appreciation for how his efforts actually sound - which are three steps forward in his musical development.

Twenty years later, by the time of RDXI, he's able to tune his guitar and play simple parts so they sound more or less right. We might miss the comedy of him being cartoonishly dreadful, but there's nothing implausible about this arc - or the fact that the others still regard his playing as awful (don't forget - they've had to put up with thirty years of him practising, with only very modest progress in all that time).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  10. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I love the 'music video' quality of the guitar floating through space.

Basically, I think that's the case. I don't mind much either way, but I find refreshing not having to have to think about continuity, and the feeling that anything can happen regardless of its cohesion with past episodes. I suspect I'm not the only one to feel that way. There's a loose attitude to canon in Red Dwarf which seems a relief when so much fiction is obsessed with details.

11. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Meant in more recent years, during the time Rimmer was away :-)

12. Scimoc

Scimoc Skutter

So much better than the awful first episode.
    Music cues going back to the first series. Cat getting the woofers.
    Call backs to favourite jokes. A new term in 'Simmering'.
    Guest actors being worthy of the script.
    Ham, ham and more ham as hamming it up is taken to the next level.
    Multiple people mimicking and taking the piss out of posh Canadian's.
    I actually laughed out loud and got nostalgic at the same time.
    Tech jokes that are current and don't care that in tens years they will be out of date.
    Also the whole indoctrination, religious crusade/jihad undertones/overtones.

13. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I know they are mechanoids, but I really disliked how most of the guest mechs (not the main crew) move like your Dad trying to act cool at a disco doing "the robot". Taking Kryten as an example (even going back to when he was played by David Ross) aside from a slightly silly walk, he tends to move around like a human. Some of these guest actors were really playing it up.

Other than that, not my favourite episode, but enjoyable.

14. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I agree, whether you can play guitar or not is irrelevant.

But, come on, it's a disagreement about a potential genuine/not genuine continuity error in a sci-fi comedy set on a space ship 3,000,000 years in the future where the last human being alive is playing guitar with a mechanoid version of Adolf Hitler.

Let's all just agree to disagree. It doesn't matter.

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

He strums a couple of chords rhythmically and changes between them. It's not like he did the flamenco version of Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu in Cured, is it?

EasterBunny, Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  16. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

He plays legitimate chords and changes between them at the end of Siliconia. So if you imagine that Hitler was playing the riff, you're sorted.

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  17. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Also, look at (real) Lister's attempt to play some lead in Psirens, which is a lot better than a complete novice (even if it sounds dreadful). The error is clearly overambition on that occasion - he's obviously dexterous enough to play a simple guitar part if he doesn't rush. Then imagine 20+ years of practice on top of that. There's nothing unrealistic about the guitar-playing shown in Cured (if anything, it's shocking how little he's progressed, if he plays enough to annoy the others).

18. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It's an incontrovertible fact (lol!) that Lister does not play the flamenco version of Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu in Cured!

EasterBunny, Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  19. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Also, I'm more than happy to provide a recording of myself "marmalading" ;-)

20. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Well you started it!

EasterBunny and Nikki the Great like this.