RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

When did they flush his guitar into space? Kryten suggests it’s ‘almost to the day.’ As if the anniversary of guitar flushing day is approaching. How has it ended up where they are now? Or do they go back for it once he finds the scan? I honestly didn’t follow any of that stuff!

2. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It was possibly nearby because of physics.

Imagine flying along in a plane and chucking something out. It was travelling forward when it was on the plane, so it will continue to travel forward as it falls. Because of air resistance, it will slow down; because of gravity, it will fall. But it does have forward momentum, carried over from when it was travelling on the plane.

Now imagine that there's no gravity or air resistance acting on the object, because the plane is a spaceship. It won't slow down or fall away from you. Unless you make a conscious effort to fling it away, it will just sort of travel along with the spaceship on a similar trajectory, like a little companion.

If you fling it "a bit" away, it will travel on a similar trajectory in a similar direction, getting further away as you continue on diverging paths. I'm guessing this is what happened, so it wasn't too hard to find even after a year.

3. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Dude calm down. Here is a nice picture to sooth you

[​IMG]

EasterBunny and Nikki the Great like this.
  4. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Lets all be friends. Here is a gift. Can you guess what it is

[​IMG]

5. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

...Hmmm...

Okay, I’ll allow it.

jmc2000 likes this.
  6. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

So anyway Siliconia eh? I didn't even notice after watching twice that the ship had the Diva Droid logo on it, nice touch.

Abe likes this.
  7. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I'm a bit mystified by the episode, really. I don't know whether I liked it or not. There weren't too many funny lines (except Cat, who had a few), but the plot was interesting. Although it had one of the most ridiculously rushed and nonsensical endings so far. Why did the Mechanoids suddenly stop their crusade to free all Mechs? And the Diva Droid Update Station appeared a bit too conveniently.

I liked the good character ending between Lister and Kryten; showing them caring about each other, but I'm irritated Doug Naylor let Lister become so lazy and uncaring towards Kryten in the first place. It seems very out of character, and a million miles away from the man who cared to help Kryten break his programming, and once gave the "I'm my own man, you're your own man..." speech.

Anyway, I'll probably go with "okay" to describe the episode. Series XII is going to have to do a hell of a lot better to come anywhere near to matching XI.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ever since I heard that they might be making an 'everyone becomes a mechanoid' episode, I hoped it would turn out to be just a rumour as it seemed a concept that could easily slip into season 8-style ridiculousness. However, I'm glad to see that the whole idea was handled much, much better than I feared it might be. This had a good storyline and might be one of my fonder-remembered episodes from the Dave era. I certainly feel more positive towards it than last week's episode.

Various thoughts:
    • That piece of background music around the 17 minute mark was a nice little reference to the music of the early seasons. When did we hear that particular tune before? Was it the same music that was used a couple of times for the Observation Dome scenes?
    • There were some great space shots in this episode. The SS Vespasian and Siliconia looked fantastic.
    • Again, Cat is getting used a lot better in these recent seasons.
    Funniest line:
    Rimmer: "Lister playing guitar is one of the worst sounds ever made. It comes somewhere between two mating velociraptors and Yoko One's Greatest Hits."

Overall: This was a nicely-written episode that was both unusual and unpredictable and had some good lines dotted about here and there.

Rating: 7/10

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Paul Taylor and Ant E like this.
  9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Can we have a thread about whether or not Lister can play guitar where all of this stuff can be moved. I realise that it's tangentially connected to the episode but it's now been going on for what feels like 3 ice ages rather than 3 pages and it would be nice to get back to discussing the actual episode.

Personally I can't believe more isn't being made of the observation about Rimmer's fish story and the way it potentially links back to what he wrote in that exam.

For all the talk about back-references, if that was intentional by Doug then it is a borderline genius level of an ultra subtle brick joke.

emmiepoptastic, Chris D and Ant E like this.
  10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I just find it ironic that Rimmer gave Lister such a hard time for wanting to be a squirrel, when he himself wished he was a fish!

Pinny likes this.
  11. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

A spin-off thread actually isn't possible yet. The spoiler policy says we can only discuss Siliconia in this one thread until the episode airs on Dave, and the lion's share of the dispute is about scenes/dialogue from Cured and Siliconia.

I do think the guitar discussion is probably drawing to a close now. I just hope Timewave doesn't have Lister playing the flamenco version of Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, or it's going to get very ugly, very fast!

Pembers likes this.
  12. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Or we could accept that everything relevant has been said, everyone who wants to has expressed their opinion, and we can smeg up about it.

13. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

This guy. This guy makes sense.

14. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

This one felt too much like Series 8 for me.
    I don't think I laughed atall which is a shame as I quite enjoyed Series 11 and thought this would have been very similar as they were shot back to back.

15. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

[​IMG]

Cheer up bucko

16. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I wonder if someone else either feels the same as me....or can help me, because I may be mad!

I have not massively enjoyed either of the first two episodes of the series, but I am happy with where I think they have taken the idea. Weird? I would give both the episodes a 6 maybe a 6.5 but would give the series so far an 8. I may be a nutjob.

I think the photography (inc effects etc) and make up are really outstanding for a British TV series. And I think there are some really great lines and set ups in there for all of the characters.

Perhaps my overall feeling of happiness is down to the fact that I know people who are not hard core dwarfers and those tuning in for the first time are going to like it.....but it is not having that effect by selling out to any degree.

I am a very hard core dwarfer, right from series 1, and I am indeed very happy.

Pembers and jmc2000 like this.
  17. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

All sounds fair and reasonable. It’s always going to be difficulty getting the balance right between appealing to ‘hard core’ fans and attracting new ones and casual viewers. I think they’ve done a good job of that so far in XII.

Abe and wavesd like this.
  18. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

It is a good job overall; the production values are great...so I think a lot of people are going to get into it because of how nice it looks - I love the old days of RD but we have to admit times have changed, things have to look good in HD now. But, whereas some shows do just rely on visuals, they have kept up the characterisation and writing. looks to drag people in, and getting to know and love the characters is what will keep people.

19. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I hardly know anyone else who watches Red Dwarf. Whenever I mention watching it to anyone I get a reply like, 'Oh, they're still doing them, are they?' It's been that way since series X. So I don't know how many newcomers there are to it, if people who used to watch it don't know it's still being made.

Pembers likes this.
  20. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Yes same here, a lot of people knew they did the 'come back' on Dave but don't know there is still new series coming out.

Have to say though, whoever's responsible for the promotion of the series has done an amazing job this time round, there was (probably still is) a huge billboard at Clapham Junction and numerous print ads on the travel network in London, great to see.

wavesd likes this.