RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I suppose London is the place to advertise it. I haven't seen any promotion in my travels in other parts of the country. But I hope there are both new and returnee fans. I don't rate the Dave era series as highly as series I-VIII (yes, I like series VIII), but it's still among the most original shows on the box.

wavesd and Pembers like this.
  2. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I wonder how and why the Mech's kept the crews original bodies 'alive' whilst they were Mechanized?

Paul Taylor likes this.
  3. Paul Taylor

I wondered the same. Yet I knew they must have because obviously the show had to reset by the end of the episode. Perhaps, had there not been so much scrunched into this episode, a coupled of lines of explanation would have been thrown in. If I were the MILF, those humanoid bodies would have been dumped into space. Perhaps they sell them for spare parts to GELFS.

4. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I have heard some ads on the radio, and the cast were doing the rounds of BBC and (I think GMB) - so they are certainly doing some good promotion - and that, added to the great production values, I would hope, will bring a good audience on board.

I do rate X-XII, for some time in my head I wondered as to VII and VIII, but I have been straight in approving of X, XI and now XII. I do like VII and VIII now, there are some great gags in both of those series.

(P.S. It always amazes me with sci-fi, that it seems on the surface to be an us and them, and people who don't watch sci-fi frown upon it, but it is amazing that just about everyone seems to have watched ST NG and everyone has called someone a smeg head at some time in their life!)

Paul Taylor and Pembers like this.
  5. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Did anybody notice Starbugs engine is now fixed

Abe and Pembers like this.
  6. Paul Taylor

I think they fixed Starbug in 'Cured'.

Abe and Pembers like this.
  7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Shut up kry10

EasterBunny likes this.
  8. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

God, I really hope the next episode doesn't feature a guitar after all the strife it's caused. Never mind "slag" or Taiwan Tony, having a guitar makes everyone froth at the mouth - and it wasn't even played! (except in the cut ending where Lister was still crap at it)

Abe, Pembers and Paul Taylor like this.
  9. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

This thread is an absolute train wreck and regardless of blame, (everyone is a little bit to blame be it that they started it or continued it), frankly I'd be ashamed to think that there could be new and excited fans wanting to discuss RDXII with like minded people and they have to wade through all this smeg.

10. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Anyway... After watching the episode again it gives me Series IV vibes. That might be why it isn't my favourite. IV isn't one of my favourite of the classic series.

11. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Stop talking about Red Dwarf, some of us are trying to have an argument in here you know?

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  12. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I will be honest, the obsession that some people have for a simple chocolate bar made from hazelnuts, nougat and caramel is a bit disturbing.

Sure the Topic bar has the finest hazelnuts, complimented perfectly by nougat of the perfect texture....and oh, the caramel...that sweetest of sweet ingredient.... that just melts in the mouth and calls to mind all that is good about the confectionery isle in the supermarket...I think it was Solon of Athens who said it best when he said "Get your stinking hands off my chocolate bar you festering, inarticulate gimboid" and in that simple phrase, I think he spoke for us all, and our love for the wonder, and the science of the chocolatier's art.

But there is a thyme and a plaice for everything, and this is not a thyme or a plaice...or any kind or herb or flat fish for that matter.

13. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I think the problem is that every other time we've seen Lister play guitar, it's been a joke how bad he is. Correct me if I'm wrong but Cured was the first time we ever saw Lister play guitar where it wasn't a joke about how smeg he is.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  14. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I wonder if one of the major plot points in Timewave will be that Lister has had a disease since birth which causes any guitar he touches to explode, then in Mechocracy he will have been every famous guitarist in history, then in M-Corp his guitar has still been flushed out into space since Fathers and Suns, and then finally in Skipper he's actually played the upright bass all along.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Armchair criticism, but that's what we're here for: I think Doug starts out with great ideas, then gets to the 26 minute mark and realises the credits are about to roll so we get these abrupt Deus ex Machina endings. It's like he's struggling to cram the adventure into the timeslot. I dream that one day Red Dwarf will bypass literal television altogether and be released like books where the lengths can vary as much as the story demands. Cured and Siliconia were crying out for another five or ten minutes I reckon.

Why did "Siliconia" turn up when it did? Was it a coincidence or had it been tracking them? I wish we'd had its impending arrival worked into the episode instead of it just turning up out of the blue to end the episode.

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Never mind all this tot. Is somebody going to explain what that craft was in the top-right hand corner of the "guitar in space" shot or not?

Also returning to the "fish" speech. The potential genius of it being the subtlest of callbacks/explanations for what Rimmer once wrote on his exam paper out of some form of mental breakdown/regression has been somewhat diluted for me by others pointing out that it is, in fact, simply a reworded version of the squirrel story Lister once told. That's a little disappointing to me to realise as until then I was thinking "wow, this is like classic Dwarf...what great writing" without realising just how literal that was.

17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Abe likes this.
  18. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Well it's not a moon is it? It's kind of rectangular and has a light on the back - you sure you're looking at the right one? Bedford is reffering to the top right of the screen flying by the planet. It's definitely a craft or a pod.

Maybe it's simply that loads of planets in the Dwarf-universe still have old abandoned pods, satellites and derelicts still orbiting round them. The equivilant of driving down a motorway and seeing a shopping cart on the side of the road.

...or maybe they superimposed the guitar footage over a disused scene from a previous episode and never spotted (or cared about) the pod?

There's obviously nothing important about it anyway.

Speaking of guitars... last week Lister told Hitler that his was 'back on Red Dwarf' didn't he? This is because the episode order had been re-arranged I suppose. Cured wasn't originally episode one was it?

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Glad it wasn't just me. I thought this too and I complained that he'd ejected his guitar into space in Fathers & Suns. But actually Lister says "I haven't got my guitar".

As for the craft, all I see in the top right is a white blob going over the planet, which looks like a moon to me. I don't see anything rectangular with a light on the back.

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I alredy posted a picture but here we are again:

[​IMG]
    That's a moon or something behind the Dwarf. We are talking about the dark image with engine fire moving across the giant planet on the top-right.

I was guessing that perhaps it was meant to be Starbug heading out to retrieve the guitar and that the scene was instead placed out of sequence in the episode after being made. There is also reference to a probe being sent out to locate the guitar but it just seems odd as it appears to be a craft moving away from both Dwarf and the guitar.