RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I had exactly the same false memory, and after seeing 'Siliconia' wondered whether it was to do with a change in the episode order; perhaps 'Siliconia' was originally to have aired first, so Lister's guitar would be back on the Dwarf by the time of 'Cured'. But then I rewatched 'Cured' yesterday and realised Lister only said he didn't have his guitar, and the 'back on Red Dwarf' bit just happened in my head.

2. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

*checks*

Huh! You're right! How weird... This must be one of those Mandella Effects all the kids are talking about these days. :scared:

Paul Taylor likes this.
  3. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It's a weird feeling when it happens, isn't it?

4. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

This bit?

[​IMG]

Still seems like a moon to me. Looks like a spherical object only lit on one side and it's casting a shadow on the planet though admittedly the shadow bit seems odd.

But hey, ignorance is bliss. It's a moon.

5. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

It's a garbage pod

Abe likes this.
  6. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Call me a conspiracy theorist...but I kind of think that they may have put a mystery object into the frame, so people would have more of an excuse to look again and again at the wonderful rock-videoesque shot!

Just the three pots on the Les Paul too - that is something I agree with; I have a Le Paul custom, and trying to blend the volume between the two pickups is something you could never do well in a live situation anyway - one overall volume control is so much better.

7. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

It's the Bolivian Navy on maneuvers in the South Pacific.

Yeah I think its a little moon orbiting that planet with a weird shadow.

8. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Having reviewed the footage, I think it's a roughly oblong grey object, with the leftmost end lit and the rest in shadow (in the near vacuum of space, with no atmosphere to diffuse light, such stark chiaroscuro is actually quite common).

In the still screen-grab, I could believe that the dark patch is a badly-drawn shadow cast on the planet. It looks less so in the moving footage, IMHO.

It could be a metallic object like a garbage pod, or just an irregularly-shaped asteroid. But I don't think the lit portion is engine fire, so don't believe the Dwarfers have company in this scene.

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Give me an R, give me an E, give me a D....give me a Red Dwarf Garbage Pod!

Pembers likes this.
  10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Of course it’s a moon!

Pembers likes this.
  11. Underdunn

[​IMG][​IMG]

Paul Taylor and jmc2000 like this.
  12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It was just another asteroid, was it not?

13. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I've got to say, when I first saw the guitar floating into view, I thought that was going to be the MILF ship.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I thought the exact same thing.

Abe likes this.
  15. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I still don't rate the episode very highly. I get the concept (which is pretty cool), but found that trying to fit the idea in to just half an hour was a bit too much of a task.
    I kind of hope they don't have the guitar theme reoccurring over the series. I don't have too much of a problem regarding Lister and his guitar skills, because let's face it, Red Dwarf isn't supposed to be flawless, it's just supposed to be good fun, which Cured definitely was to me.

16. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

On the subject of Starbug and the engine being fixed, they were back on Starbug 1 in this episode, haven't they been using 16 recently? I'm quite unobservant when it comes to that stuff.

17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Starbug 1 in both XII eps so far. Starbug 19 in Can of Worms. And Starbug 1 in Krysis.

I'm not going to check all episodes, but was it ever explained why they were in Starbug 19 in Can of Worms?

Pembers likes this.
  18. Underdunn

There was something on one of the dwarf-casts about it... Apparently SB19 is relevant to this series at some point, but wasn’t supposed to feature last series. However they filmed a pickup for Can Of Worms during series 11 filming and accidently included it... Something like that. They were careful not to say why SB19 was a noticable continuity error because it would apparently spoil an upcoming plot or something.

Chris D likes this.
  19. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Ooooooh exciting. Must be something to do with the Dimension Skipper wotsit I guess?

20. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

First of all, apologies to JMC (RIP) and Jarvio for dragging up something that was seemingly already resolved. I hate conflict of any kind, and just wanted to express my disappointment that this had taken place in a discussion thread for a brand new episode of Red Dwarf. I'm also a bit sensitive about what I'll now refer to as the 'b' word, since I was definitely at the receiving end of that as a child (which is why I now usually prefer to 'walk by myself', like that fictional cat - no one can get to you then). I definitely haven't deleted any posts though, I'm not sure if that post was referring to me or another member.

Anyway, it was perhaps not my greatest contribution to the forum and definitely ill thought through, but hopefully all this can be left in the past now. Group hug? (well, I'm not actually much of a hugger, but the sentiment is real :-))

Back on topic: Siliconia is perhaps the most conflicted I've ever felt about a new episode. Part brilliant, part disappointing, part confusing. I'm going to watch for a second time now before writing any more. Cured improved immeasurably on subsequent viewings and I'm hoping this does too.

Jarvio and jmc2000 like this.