RDXII EPISODE 2 - SILICONIA - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 11, 2017.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

If anyone's interested, I've discovered a way of using Snapchat filters to turn anyone into a Kryten.

Pembers likes this.
  2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I still think the thing moving across the planet looks like a moon. The dark part is the shadow of the moon, the white part is the moon.

[​IMG]

Chris D and jmc2000 like this.
  3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Good gif. It's certainly small enough that it could be. It might not be a well-rendered effect if so. It's close enough to the horizon that I think the shadow should (noticeably) change shape or length if it's cast on the planet. I prefer "oblong asteroid", but I guess we don't know.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I reckon a 3D moving moon it's just the sort of superfluous detail they'd add to a space-scene nowadays because they can.

5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Mind you, when I enlarge the gif, the shadow should probably bend a bit as it moves across the sphere. It's rigid.

6. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

K, second episode in...and its getting worse in my opinion.

Witty quips from Charles (that mirror old classic Kryten lines) as a mechanoid failed to raise any laughs from the audience. Not a good sign.

The CGI actually looked good in this episode, for the most part.

Can someone please explain why other people never look as good in Kryten makeup. Robert Llewellyn seems to be the only person who's face actually looks good in that get up. The variation in quality is pretty staggering if you ask me, with some examples looking dreadful. When Craig Charles made facial expressions you could see the mask crease up!

Speaking of Kryten, why does his torso section look worse than previous series? In this series it looks so plastic and chunky, like a Legoman outfit or cheap cosplay.

When the crew are transferred into mechanoid bodies why does Rimmer's mech body have an H on its head? Its not a hologram. And with Cat, why does his mech body have a dark tone to it? Lister's mech body isn't a different tone. Surely their mechanoid bodies would all be the same as the other mechanoids (Obviously I know why they did this, but my point is it makes no sense).

Why would Rimmer start sounding like Kryten as he becomes more mechanoid? I realise Barrie does a good impersonation but again, it makes no sense.

The Big CGI ship in the finale looked stupid, wasn't even sure what it was supposed to be at first.

Ambitious? most certainly. Any good? not really. The story is crammed into its allotted time when maybe it should have been spread over two episodes. Series V is still the best (looking) series for literally everything.

7. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I seen it, it looks great.

jmc2000 likes this.
  8. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

After my second watch of the episode, I'm actually not sure if I preferred Cured or not. First time watching I thought Siliconia was better, but now I'm not sure, but I basically think that both episodes are pretty good. Not amazing or anything, but pretty decent by Dave revival standards.

For the record I really loved the therapy session - I know someone earlier said they didn't like it. For me it gave me the biggest laughs of the episode.

9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Yes, my point exactly! But that could just be a limitation of the render (i.e., added to a flat background). Inconclusive.

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Well, even if it is a man-made sattelite, it's obviously not important. They might see these things all the time. It could be the 23rd-century equivalent of a mobile phone tower.

11. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Ahhhh! Yes, now I see it. I stand corrected, it could quite easily be a moon casting a (quite badly done) shadow on the surface. Thanks for that!

Pembers likes this.
  12. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

I read a rumour that Kill Crazy might come back this series, anyone think this might happen?

13. Underdunn

I hope not. Did you like him?

14. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

It's one of my predictions for 'Skipper' I reckon we see a few old crew members like him and Hollister as well as female Holly (as well as Norm)

15. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Sort of. He was too much of a caricature but I did have a soft spot for him lol

16. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]

Abe, Nikki the Great and Pembers like this.
  17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Yes, I'm holding out there is still a surprise return they haven't spoiled, that male Holly is a misdirection.

Edit: I hope it's not Kill Crazy though. Series VIII never happened.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  18. Underdunn

He had his moments. ‘Skipper’ will be the most likely episode for him to resurface if he’s going to.

19. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

love it

Abe likes this.
  20. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Me as Kryters.

[​IMG]

Abe, jmc2000 and Nikki the Great like this.