Episode 3 - Lemons.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Christ wasn't Jesus' surname. Nobody had surnames back then.

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Well if we're going to be analysing it to this extent then I must also point out that Jesus was a little, well...on the pale side, wasn't he? I mean, did they have bleaching agents back then I wonder? ;-)

3. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

People need to be kept in check, of course.

4. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Didn't feel this detracted much. If they were going for authenticity, they would not have allowed Jesus to speak English, rather Hebrew (or Aramaic). And the Indian woman wouldn't have had that accent. Hell, I don't think the oldest form of English was spoken then.

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

This is an interesting comment given that lots of people on Twitter have been commenting about how much they loved that Jesus was a Geordie in the episode...

... which was quickly clarified by Richard Naylor as saying he's from Sunderland and, as such, is actually a Mackem.

Sure it pleased him no end that everyone is calling him a Geordie! :lol:

6. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Oh my bad then :-)

7. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Because they are a ragamuffin bunch of space bums.

Does stuff like this really matter?!?

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I enjoyed this episode by the time it was over. Once the gang actually met J.C (yes those initials still work!) I thought it picked up quite a lot and I enjoyed the whole of the second half which actually felt probably the most Dwarfy to me than anything this series. Lister being a moral pinpoint of the group. Kryten having done weird things he thinks are normal that the others are unaware of. Cat still being used right and Rimmer getting some good material that made him a bit less hammy were all good to see.

However I do have gripes about the format with which this show is being written so far. I'm talking about the premise of setting up a joke in the first act that pays off much later. We saw it again here to mixed effect with the Cat joke and the rather limp Shakespeare stuff that was merely okay.

The problem with this method is, as with Trojan and as with F&S to an extent it makes the first few minutes of every episode feel like lame unfunny observational humour. That's twice now we've had a "Book of facts" setup to a punchline later in the show. The Swedish joke justified it but I don't think the payoffs in this episode did.

I suppose the real problem with these opening sections is they just aren't funny by themselves.

My other problem with this was the weird pacing of everything up to arriving in India. Indeed there seemed very little reason for them to arrive in England at all. Again the reaction to time travelling almost seems to be casual acceptence. "Oh we've travelled in time again" and while it's nice to see the crew explaining why they can't stay, just having Lister say "Oh we need to go back and find Kochanski" was a little abrupt. I did enjoy Cat's little rant about "Earth" though. It was funny because, much like a pet cat he has never really acknowledged how the others just expect him to tag along.

I thought the Jesus stuff was very well done. Tasteful when it could have got puerile (especially given the operation scene)and with good pacing and time taken over it to explain things. In away I have less problem with the frivolous quickfire first half because the second half felt more like the way the old crew would have behaved in such a situation.

Also, I have a confession....I only just got the fact that Cat ate Lister's internal organs!!!!:shock:

I didn't pick up on that in the episode itself and I wondered why he was feeling sick...I thought it was just because he was using them as crazy golf props!

9. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Right... My full breakdown and review.

Lister and Cat cooking exchange. I chuckled slightly at the theft, and guessed there might be something more to it, based on the fact opening jokes usually go somewhere later on.

Rimmer lister exchange about shakespeare, again... another set up. There seems to be a habit this series of putting weak joeks at the beginning, which later get funnier. I did enjoy Cat's ongoing Shakespeare expressions gags, Made me titter somewhat.

The IKEA stuff. My one hate of the episode, felt like it was trying to hard for satire, which wasn't successful on my part... However, the sock joke did give me a minor chuckle, mainly coz of the continuity.

Next, the wood scene. I was pleased to see this was set in England, from previews I worried they were going to try and pass off what is clearly a small wooded area in Britain for India. Luckily I was mistaken.

Rimmer's Judas monologue, once I forgave the Advent Hoppists continuity error, was very funny, and led me to believe he was gonna turn out to be Judas or something, Loved this... one of my favourite bits.

Jesus reveal... ruined by trailer. Would have been funny, but ruined by seeing it too many times.

The operation was funny, but not laugh out loud. (I'm rushing through now) The concept of Jesus reading about himself and hating the thought was... i thought, classic Red Dwarf dramatic moment. Loved it a lot.

Finally the big reveal... I Laughed so hard it hurt. Firstly at the wrong jesus, then at Jesus and Judas the twins. Made me laugh a lot.

Overall, I give this episode a 9/10.

My favourite episode since Marooned.

10. Seymour_Clufley

I don't know if anyone's offered this explanation yet or not, but it occurred to me that perhaps Rimmer's mother was a member of the Church of Judas but then switched to the Seventh Day Advent Hoppists when she married Mr Rimmer.

11. jez999

jez999 Third Technician

Why was there such a long laugh when Kryten said he stored Dave's body parts near his room? I didn't think it was THAT funny. :-)

12. ben996

ben996 First Technician

I agree about this episode, barely any laughs and some parts were just embarrassing. Trojan has been the best one so far which was an okay episode, but I feel that Doug needs to get another writer in for the future or just end Dwarf.

Oh and on this forum all 3 episodes have had a mixed reaction, not one single one has had total acclaim from anyone on here and I bet no one would put any of the 3 in their top 5 like the cast would lol

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Because he was Jesus of Cesaria (or something). He said so at the end.

14. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Haha I was a bit slow on the uptake as well, although I realised about four seconds after Cat started feeling sick. I will also admit that I thought it was something to do with crazy golf.

15. Seymour_Clufley

Of course, real authenticity would have had them speaking in Aramaic, but I fully accept that would be ridiculous for a sitcom! I just think that RP would be more "believable" - like Caligula in Meltdown for example.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

For me so far it's two episodes I haven't liked all that much (Trojan and Lemons) and one I absolutely loved (Fathers and Suns).

17. Oswald

Oswald Third Technician

I'm sad to see the out and out negativity. I know we all have our own opinions and some people like and some people don't like, but that was never in a million years the worst episode ever.

The line "Lister, did you give Jesus a vindaloo?" is up there with the best for me, from any series.

18. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

It was the Jesus reveal gag that got the big laugh, the Kryten telling Lister about the organs got a rather big "Euuugh" response from us.

19. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Are you drunk right now? :P

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Shhh, don't reveal the secrets of the upcoming social-scientific dictatorship. We will control your mind, Semour. Semour will be no more! Mwwwhahahaaa :twisted:

Sorry, just kidding. But I'm not about to discus all that tot with you I'm afraid, so don't even bother trying to bate me, mmmkay?