Episode 3 - Lemons.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

It will be interesting to see how they handle the subject! Looking forward to it (with a bit of trepidation!)

RAGE

2. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Well, I'm apprehensive because I am a Christian, but for me, providing it's not really blasphemous, I'm not bothered. I think what'll be in the episode that's 'controversial' will be characters opinions, and everyone has a right to an opinion, make of that what you will. If it comes across as a hidden message from Doug against religion or is a serious stab at it, I won't be happy. Nor will be the hundreds (I didn't want to say thousands) of Christian Red Dwarf fans. Nor will be anyone with common decency.

We shall have to wait and see.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I have "common decency" but do not see anything wrong with someone taking "a serious stab at" Christianity. Why is that not acceptable? Should religion be free from criticism?

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

you mean like the stab he took at it in this little conversation from Series 1:

Lister: "They're just using religion as an excuse to be extremely crappy to each other"

Talkie Toaster: "So what else is new"

Okay maybe that was more of a joke about people who follow religion than religion itself but really the whole of Waiting for God was a commentary on the way religious texts have been misinterpreted and used to serve mankind's own chosen direction for thousands of years. Fighting wars over the colour of hats is still, sadly relevent today.

From what I gather from the synopses released, the episode won't be doing anything "blasphemous" like making Lister Jesus but rather will feature the latter character finding out about how his message has been misused and not being very happy about it. If you think about it, that's probably very likely how that character would feel if placed in that situation.

I do think that Rimmer's middle name is going to be too hard for Doug to avoid bringing up though, given the plot.

5. simulant37

& The Last Day was in part about lampooning the ridiculousness of religion

6. bedfordfalls

Good point. "Silicon Heaven" and its comparison to human heaven as something that "somebody just made...up to stop you all going nuts" is a pretty good indication of what Rob and Doug thought about religion in general.

Personally, I don't like the whole Richard Dawkins, "let's yell at people for having faith and put adverts on buses ridiculing them" attitude that's common nowerdays. I think its interesting to reflect on philosophical and theological themes (something Red Dwarf has always excelled in) and so I hope the show doesn't do anything that's outright "Yay Atheism!" as frankly I find atheism rather boring.

7. SleepySoul

SleepySoul Third Technician

It will be interesting to see the thoughts of this episode. I think it's a simpler episode compared to ep2, maybe more of that classic feeling. Whatever the outcome, it will be remembered.

8. simulant37

I dislike Richard Dawkins, but am an atheist & therefore do not find it boring. Religion should be challenged, just like any belief system. Humour is a good way of challenging beliefs. As for the adverts on buses ridiculing people who have a faith, I'm fine with it considering how some people with faith treat others all in the name of their god. :x

9. barnaclebill

barnaclebill Third Technician

Don't forget the 'Missing Page Of The Bible' as mentioned by groovy funky Channel 27...

10. simulant37

Good point. It seems religion has been a recurring theme in Red Dwarf!

11. bedfordfalls

Yes, but I find it a bit disappointing because ultimately it weakens the argument against that kind of nonsense if they are taking the same pseudo-confrontational tactics.

I agree though that comedy is one of the best ways to challenge religion and its nice that the vast majority of religions (Christianity included) have been slowly sliding towards accepting that for several decades now to the point where I don't expect any sort of fuss over Jesus appearing in Red Dwarf.

12. SleepySoul

This is probably a great episode for RD to get some controversy, if it gets people watching its all good. And I'm with doug, no worries. Mind you, Jesus having sexual relations with another man would interest the daily mail.:-D

13. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol well at least you started posting threads other than peoples deaths.. it came to the point where every time i saw you log on i thought some famous person died :O

14. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Jesus existed, as it is historically documented that a man by the name of whatever Jesus's actual name was (Jesus is the English version of the name), who was tried and crucified for treason because he claimed to be the king of the Jews and the son of God. Now, whether or not he was the son of God, whether he turned water into wine, or just wine into yellow water, that is yours to claim to believe or not believe. To believe that he never existed is to claim not to believe in Julius Caesar, because they both have the same evidence for their existence. I also believe, but I am unsure about this, that there must be documentation of his birth as Mary and Joseph had to go to Bethlehem in order to sign a record thing. Further to this, historians both Christian and Atheist (and just to conform to nanny-state PC existence; possibly people of other faiths) believe that they can trace every main figure in the bible back to Abraham. There is always one person who tries to discredit this by saying "no there isn't" and when that person raises their head, I will get onto my friend, who is not a guy you ever want to go for a pint with, who has a PhD in theology and get him to give me the links to the evidence for me to copy and paste for your viewing pleasure and to activate my smirk mode.

I recon the episode will have them teaching him magic tricks or something like that, would be funny if they recount to him stories of Derren Brown or David Blaine.

15. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

This is absolutely NO disrespect to you, Simulant but how did you feel about the Chinese Whispers jokes? If I remember correctly, and I have had several beers, so my recall is very low, I think you were on the side of the fence labeled offensive.
    Now, I find someone verbally blaspheming, IE using the phrase that OMG stands for, for example, much more offensive than anything racially related that is used in Little Britain, and I am only semi-Christian (I beleive in God, and I am pretty "belief-ful" in Jesus as the son of God, though I don't believe in anything specific any church has to say as I hate seeing God being used as a business and prefer to figure things out for myself), which appears quite often in Red Dwarf.

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a smeghead by bringing that up again after the fiasco of last episode's thread, just a little drunk and got stuck on a thought-train.

16. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

If I'm honest, the first "Famous persons" passing thread I started was my Great Uncles last year, I feel that its rather important for one to pay their respects to those whom are no longer with us on the Earth plane.

Not that I'm going to start to justify myself, but in the past I've created many threads, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Family Guy yadda yadda yadda.

As you were :-)

17. SleepySoul

Well, if we're going to get really deep. The whole concept of Jesus was the first born on a certain date. The clues are there, wise men watching the stars. It was clearly the zodiac change to Pisces, which, funnily enough is the symbol for Christianity. That stupid fish sign on the back of cars, yes?

18. bedfordfalls

I'm sure Simulant will point this out to you but Chinese people are real. Scientists have verified it and everything.

At this point we don't have a lot of empirical proof that a talking snake once tricked a woman (made out of a rib) into stealing an apple and got her kicked out of a garden for it!

That's one basic reason why its easy for someone to be offended by racist caricatures and not really care too much about religion.

Besides, this Jesus: wasn't he a hippy? He had long hair and he didn't have a job. Pretty sure he wouldn't have been down with Taiwan Tony either! Sounds like a bit of a liberal to me.

19. Reznor

Reznor Guest

oh no by all means please continue i agree with paying your respects
    but u know what i mean :P
    Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Family Guy! now those are topics! :P
    anywayssss please continue talking about the topic at hand
    the show i don't get to see next week :P

20. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

Say what you like Simmy, I really don't care.

I just don't listen to critics. I have a right to belief and I have a right not be attacked for that, and to have a go at any religion is an attack against what somebody believes in. And that's unfair. I imagine this argument could escalate so I'm just gonna take the moral high ground and not get dragged into a debate why I'm wrong for when I'm not. Religion is very powerful. Remember that.

I'm glad the episode, from what others have said, doesn't seem to attack the religion, and is more of a look at Jesus and His character. I think that's fine. It's not real, anyway.