Episode 3 - Lemons.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Oct 13, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

You've left yourself open for a pretty obvious gag, there. :lol:

For the record, I do believe Jesus was a real historical figure and so I have no problem with this episode straying into that territory.
    I also think, despite the joking way in which I put it above, Jesus was a liberal; it's fairly well established in the New Testament that he's nothing like his angry, vengeful Dad. I think if he were around today he'd be pretty horrified about how his teaching had been warped and misconstrued to start wars and persecute people. As far as I can gather, that might be the direction that Doug Naylor is taking it and if it is then it might just be a real return to the slightly profound kind of comedy Dwarf used to produce when addressing these matters.

2. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I seriously hope so, because I dread to think what had been slipped into my drink that lead me to believe that I had a Chinese girlfriend for 6 months of my teenage years! I was really messed up back then. I didn't even like curry.

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Can we please refrain from getting into debates about religion in general? Thank you.

This is part of the reason why I didn't want this episode's thread starting so early. It's going to be enough work to deal with it AFTER broadcast without having to deal with it for a week beforehand as well. If it carries on, I might just have to lock the thread altogether until Thursday night.

However, even when the episode HAS aired, I'd respectfully ask people to keep the bulk of their discussion to the actual episode of Red Dwarf itself, rather than going off on tangents about religion. Debates about religion on the internet never end well, and this forum has already proven itself unable to have them sensibly without it degenerating into out-and-out argument. So let's just leave it altogether, then we can all get on with arguing about Red Dwarf instead, mmmkay?

4. bedfordfalls

It's okay, the thread will eventually tail off into a discussion about the Worst John Carpenter movie.

5. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Sorry... Again, Seb.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I'm sorry but if an episode has a religious theme/idea then it is inevitable that religion will be discussed.

Are you banning us from talking about religion now?

7. bedfordfalls

I think he's more saying "religion in general" i.e. getting into long debates about the rights and wrongs of religion, their validity that sort of thing.

I don't think he's saying we can't speculate on plot related things like how the character of Jesus will be presented in new Red Dwarf.

Also, he said "please" so I don't think he's banning people from doing anything, just kindly asking that we don't start a civil war in this thread about who's God (or not as the case may be) is best. Topics about religion are notorious for turning into never ending flame wars.

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Nail on head.

9. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hence what happened in the last religious thread :P
    anyways people back on topic here!!! to the episode none of us has seen yet and one i wont for awhile! yay :P

10. simulant37

Thanks for clarification on something that didn't need clarification. :roll:

11. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

Ha,Ha,Ha ! Commandment number 11 Thou shall not discuss religion or politics with others!

12. bedfordfalls

How about racism?
    I hear Red Dwarf's racist now?
    How did it get interested in that sort of thing?
    Should we all be racists now?
    What's the offical line Grant Naylor takes on this?
    Only...the forum takes up most of my time and at night I just like a nice cup of tea...I mightn't be able to devote myself full-time to the old racism....

Only kidding folks. ;-)

[​IMG]

13. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

Are you having visions with these auditory symptoms?
    Has somebody given you a stone tablet lately?
    Thank??? for NHS! :-)

Ted one of my favs!
    Look at what ??? did to him!

14. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

First thought...crap episode title, that is all for now.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Fair enough - but either way, unless it specifically relates to the content of the episode (which at the moment is entirely speculative and so can't be judged), this isn't the thread or place for it.

16. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

It would be funny if rimmer would misquote any of the 10 commandments as if they were corp directives.

17. simulant37

Like all the racism discussions on the Fathers & Suns thread? :roll:

18. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

but that directly relates the the episode that has already aired.

19. simulant37

It has expanded greatly beyond the content of the episode.

Once Lemons has aired we will see. I doubt very much if there will be anything controversial in it.

20. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Your post implied a desire for clarification, which you then received. No need to sulk.

Thought the preview was amusing (the "Jesus!"/"Yes?" bit made me laugh). Can't wait for Lemons!