Episode 3 - Lemons.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Oct 13, 2012.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

In modern society I hope the average person's morality is NOT derived from Christianity, I hope that the average person is not a misogynist homophobe! We live in a society that does indeed have a Christian history, but we are secular now & all the better for it. If Christianity was more present in society it would be to the detriment of us all, it would marginalise certain groups & their cultures. In fact I'm not sure what you mean by more present? Do you want it to have an influence on political policy? On education? On healthcare?

We are, & to a large extent, have always been a multicultural society adapting & being influenced by different cultures as they arrive on our shores either through migration, or invasion. In fact Christianity first arrived via the Romans! As for our holidays, they may be linked to Christianity but Christianity basically stole a lot of the iconography of its festivals, & even the times of year to hold them, from Paganism.

If people have a faith then good for them, but don't try & force it onto others by making it "more present in society".

Oh & what do you mean by "Our sense of morality"? Who are you talking about?

PS - please moderate your language.

2. Skemekos

Skemekos Third Technician

Late to reply but I have to say that I really liked episode 3! Probably my fave so far. :-D

3. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I'd have to say that my least favourite episode is Only the Good. My opinion on Back to Earth is probably too ambiguous for it to be my least favourite.

4. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

And here comes Simmy with his anti-Christian campaign.

Misogynist and homophobe? Just because the Christians you've met are doesn't mean we all are. Just because I support gay rights, like millions of Christians, doesn't mean I'm a bad Christian or not one. Ditto with everything else you spout out.

Get your facts straight, sunshine.

5. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I have just finished watching "Lemons" for the second time, and I have to say, I did enjoy it more the second time around! I still wouldn't regard it as one of my fave episodes of all time, but it's still a very fun and enjoyable episode nonetheless. I found the guy who played Jesus quite annoying the first time round, and though I still found him annoying during my second watch, he was definitely less so. But still, the "Jesus actor" probably is the worst thing about the episode. But still, there are some great scenes like the one where Kryten tells Lister about the operations he performed on him without his consent or knowledge. And Rimmer's excitement at being able to hold Jesus' manhood for his kidney stone procedure was classic Rimmer! ("I'll Hold it! It'll be an absolute privilege to hold it! Pass the barbecue tongs! This, is the high point of my entire career!") :-)

I see people mentioning "Thanks For The Memory", and discussing it's quality as an episode. I certainly don't see it as the worst episode of series 2, I'd give that dubious honour to Parallel Universe. Which coincidentally, is an episode I'd rate Lemons as being above. "Stasis Leak" is another episode from series 2 which is quite weak, and I'd certainly rank that one below "Trojan", and perhaps the other 2 new series X episodes too. The best of series 2 certainly betters anything from the new series (at least so far), but certainly, compared to the weaker episodes from that series, the series X episodes more than hold their own, and better them in some instances!

6. CharlieTeague

While I am open to the concept of religion I've probably had too many encounters with the bad type of Christian for me to be a follower of it. Oh no! I've said too much! Now they're goona... Red Lemon has signed out

7. CharlieTeague

While I am open to the concept of religion I've probably had too many encounters with the bad type of Christian for me to be a follower of it. Oh no! I've said too much! Now they're goona... Red Lemon has signed out.

8. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

Hi all, my first post here. Just thought I would chuck in my opinion on the new series, for what it's worth.

It's a mixed bag. There are some very funny lines and good ideas half-buried under some terribly muddled plots and horrible, cringeworthy dialogue. I get the impression that Doug Naylor has sweated his guts out to bring Red Dwark back to full power, but it hasn't worked. He needs some harsh editors and a very good co-writer to point out the errors and rub out his propensity for tasteless moments and ghastly, unfunny gags. Red Dwarf was the product of two minds, not one, and the imbalance shows.

At the moment, to use a really strained analogy, it's a bit like The Beatles walking onstage without John Lennon and hoping no-one notices. There's still a great big empty space onstage and the music doesn't sound right without him.

I also really, really wish the cast would go back to playing it straight and letting the jokes do the work. I hate all the mugging to camera and the total lack of pathos. It's like The Adventures of The Wacky Red Dwarf Gang. Chris Barrie in particular is guilty of this, or perhaps the script is working against him. Rimmer only seems to exist now to pull funny faces, spout unlikely exposition and utter some (admittedly funny) one-liners.

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I would put Lemons about in par with Timeslides honestly, fun but certainly not prefect mid-tier Dwarf. None of X has been upper shelf episodes yet but honestly some of the later episodes are looking promising to me, here's hoping the show brings it home strong in the second half.

10. Angelic_Storm

Well, bringing series III episodes into the discussion, which is a very strong series overall (and certainly in my top 3 RD series'), puts series X so far into perspective. The majority of series III is honestly, on a higher plateau than anything I've seens so far from series X. "Timeslides" is probably the worst episode from series III (although it's still a good episode!), and compared to that one, "Lemons" does fair quite well, although "Timeslides" probably just beats it on account of Cat's legendary "Junior Angler" gag! lol

11. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Timeslides urinates all over Lemons from a great height (presumably from a statue in a courtyard). Genuinely I think there`s no comparison in terms of quality at all.

12. Oswald

Oswald Third Technician

Sense! Rarely spoken sense!

13. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Talking of the low points of series 8 - I was watching the dvd extras and doug genuinely looked sad that people online slated the midget dance thing and when he was talking about things he loved, like dennis the donut boy, you could hear some kind of sadness in his voice, like hurt from the fan reviews on here :-(

OK, I didn't like the scene and thought it was stupid... But I feel for Doug, he really loves his creation and the fans and he can't seem to please them... Though he does please several million casual viewers, but would you rather please your immediate family or a country full of strangers?

Hardcore fans tend to be the biggest haters xD

14. Angelic_Storm

Not so in my case... Okay, I've been quite critical of much of Red Dwarf post-series 6, but there are fans who are way more critical than I am. But some people label you as "hardcore" for being even the tiniest bit critical, which I think is ridiculous.

15. simulant37

Err I'm not anti-Christian. & its not a campaign. But human rights ALWAYS take precedence over religious rights. Look at how the Bible treats women. Look at its stance on homosexuals. Its got nothing to do with the Christians I have met, its about religion as an institution. & I only talk about it in terms of Christianity because that is the faith that was being discussed.

16. simulant37

No one is "pussyfooting around the issue". This was an episode about the boys from the Dwarf meeting 'Jesus'. So why would Islam be brought into it? Its pathetic to argue about which religion has been "a far more aggressive force" anyway! :roll:

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

This makes me wonder if you've even seen Life of Brian which is a movie about someone called "Brian" not "Jesus". In fact it makes that very clear throughout the movie.

The only thing they have in common is that both feature people mistaking an ordinary man for the son of God...but both do it in such different ways that its ridiculous and borderline insulting to imply that one is "ripping off" the other.

Lemons is entirely its on story and doesn't borrow from Life of Brian at all.

18. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

You've missed the point. My point was that meeting Jesus is not really original, and certainly not edgy, but meeting Mohammed would have been. Islam would not have been brought into it if they were meeting Jesus (it didn't even exist in Jesus's time) but it could have been brought into it if they met Mohammed. It's not that I feel any particular desire for sitcoms to mock religions, but if you're going to do it, you'd be far better mocking Islam than Christianity.

Really? Would you say that to a victim of 7/7, for example?

19. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I`m not sure that would be such a good idea. :-D

20. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I really liked the episode - so what if there's a few things that are stupid/inane.

I thought the journey to India was better than seeing it/boring conversations that might slow it down on the way there etc.

The fact that it wasn't Jesus should be spoken of more, because there's the slight twist and the fact he speaks with a wearside accent - pah - does it bother anyone that Rimmer only created males in Rimmerworld? and that he lain there for hundreds of years and then getting the names wrong - Derek Custer, Kit and Titan? What about the silliness of Holoship? White Hole? Quarantine? The Inquisitor?

C'mon it's Red Dwarf - let's have a laugh and not take this too seriously.

I'd give the scores at:

Trojan 6/10
    F & S 6.5/10
    Lemons 7/10