Episode 3 - Lemons.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Oct 13, 2012.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No, I genuinely don't believe that one needs beer to loosen up & allow one to enjoy the show. How on earth do under 18 year olds enjoy it? Are we now encouraging underage drinking here at the reddwarf.co.uk forum?!? :x

2. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Don't do it kids, stick with the diet coke! Hang on..does diet coke contain aspartme?:shock:Best stick to water boys and girls.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

They are not saying that they need beer to like the episodes but rather that given that it's the first new series in over a decade and how bad series VIII was back in 1999, a couple of beers cools down the nerves they feel about the new episodes. As for underage drinking I sometimes did in my teenage years and it didn't seem to have any negative impact on me, just as long as they are smart about it.

4. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

[img code won't work for this]
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=buoys&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=td6FUKzXI-W10QXGiIGwBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i|8;d|RUd3AtPcgOBgeM:

Aww, I hoped you would be happy of the spoiler :roll: by the way, lister said smeg in the episode :shock: yes, you heard it here first!

5. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

JMC2000, when presented with something dangerous and harmful, it is not virtuous to look the other way: it is cowardice. Neither is it virtuous to condemn a rational reaction as "hate speech": it is deliberate naivety.

Just to answer your accusation, my post was not "hate speech". I do not "hate" Muslims. I am troubled by Islam, but that is a very rational reaction. Even since I wrote my post, yet another Islamic terrorist attack in Britain has been preempted - is this just part of life in Britain now? Are we always going to have Islamic terrorists trying to blow us up? Ah... enrichment!

As for "exactly what kind of person" I am... That is hardly diplomatic language. I don't pretend to know "what kind of person" you are. You should extend the same courtesy to me, rather than assume a position of (naive?) superiority. We certainly disagree - fine. But I would rather we were on speaking terms. It must be very easy to assume that, if somebody dislikes a particular culture, they must be "a bad person" - I would ask you not to assume that.

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

TV and religion rarely mixes and someone is always offended at stereotypes used. That said, I fail to see where this episode had a negative stereotype of ANY religion. The whole "we've just saved Christ whoop-whoop" issue was skirted around neatly, as to be honest any Christians offended would realise they've been had at the end of the episode - a neat way to bait people in with possible controversy and turn it into a joke. Anyone offended by Lemons should get a sense of humour and watch the episode in it's entirety rather than take something out of context.

As an atheist, one of my favourite bits from TV regarding religion comes from Farscape, where the character Noranti says something along the lines of "religions are grand, lofty ideas. Religious followers - that's something else".

Virtually any popular religion (Christianity included) is going to have it's zealots who will take it to extremes, and wars will be fought. But there is also a huge amount of good done in the name of any religion. They bring people together, give people a common cause and interest, and in a lot of cases provide support and charity. And yes, in the case of Christianity, start the tradition of Christmas.

We still get zealots now in all kinds of religion. Terrorism does still happen. Poppy-sellers in some parts of the country are now getting guards after suffering abuse. The Westboro Baptist Church wanted to picket Steve Jobs' funeral for "not using his technology to push the name of Christ", as well as several other random events. Heck, I once worked in retail and, during the Christmas period, wished everyone a merry Christmas - someone tried to get me fired for "inflicting my religious beliefs" on her.

All of these are things being done by a tiny minority of zealots, not by the vast majority. To believe otherwise would be to tar everyone with an unfair stereotype.

7. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

People have the right to be offended if they so wish. Just as I have the right to not give a smeg. But you're right, there was nothing in Lemons to be offended by.

Noranti had that backwards I think. It's more like "religions are cesspits of iniquity and debauchery which have been used to retain influence and power in the hands of a select few for centuries. Most of the people who've practiced said religions have just been trying to get on with their lives.

Hardly. Mid winter festivals pre-date christianity by milennia.

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I'm loathe to get too drawn into this debate, as I can't see it ending in any kind of positive way, but I will just make the point that I grew up in the '80s and '90s, where "part of life in Britain" was that we had Irish Catholics trying to blow us up.* So let's not pretend that the fear of terrorism is something new that's only come along with Muslims in the last ten years.

There are insane zealots in any religion, and it's very narrow-minded to single out just one by virtue of those. Most religions aren't inherently violent (although, have you seen that Old Testament recently? Full of the stuff), and let's not forget the small matter of something like the Crusades when we rush to judge Islam as the only religion full of people willing to cause violence and bloodshed.

* and before anyone deliberately misinterprets that, I know that the primary motivation of the IRA wasn't religious. Nevertheless, it was an organisation predominantly based around one particular religion, and I do think that's worth remarking on when people start making the assumption that the only terrorists are Muslims. Also, I'm part-Irish and was raised Catholic, so I wasn't looking to start an anti-Ireland debate either.

9. misterh

misterh Third Technician

Here Here!

10. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Who'd have thunk a conversation about an episode of Red Dwarf would have led to all this?

Shame on you Doug! Look what you've done! :lol:

I'm going to London on Thursday and am going to be so busy I'm not going to have the chance to see the next 2 episodes of Red Dwarf. I doubt there'll be any legal way to watch Episode 4 before the final episode airs as Episode 5 will be on that Dave player thing. I could just wait for the DVD, but I'd rather watch it on telly first!

11. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

2) Many hope it redeems Series VII and VIII.

Theres is NOTHING to redeem about VII and VIII.

Maybe the final episode of VIII had a stupid looking dispenser machine but come on! I tohught the Canaries concept was awesome.

My favorite series are V and VI, but that does not mean other series were crap.

Methinks people are way to harsh. I really do. I flew 3000miles after I won a comp to meet the cast and commentary on season V and Craig Charles was sick. Did I complain? Well, at the time a bit...But I got over it and still love the show. And I have had a few sick days myself.

Ask this siple question.... WOuld you rather there was no VII and VIII at all to complain about?

12. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I said many, which is true as there are many who dislike Series VII and VIII and think they are vastly inferior to previous series.

There are also many that don't, admittedly.

I am grouped with the former. Why would I want series VII and VIII never to have existed? I hardly watch them now, and that's enough for me. People can pretend they don't exist if they want.

13. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Series VII I think while troubled is maybe as good as it could have been given the handicaps of both the loss of Rob Grant and Chris Barrie, I also think is still has it's highlights. I feel that it did try to do some brave things like build on character mythos but much of the time was hampered by the fact that the core dynamic was broken. I don't hat series VII but it is unquestionably a product that suffers from it's problems.

Series VIII is another beast entirely, while it brings back Chris Barrie and the live studio audience it does pretty much everything else imaginable wrong. It throws out any ounce of anything that made the show clever relying on low grade humour like dinosaur poo and pet robot penis', and actually screwed up the show's central premise turning it into a low rent prison comedy in space. Series VIII is every bit as bad as people say and in many cases even worse.

However do I wish the never existed? Well not exactly, I think for it's faults series VII has enough good ideas and quality moments to easily justify it's own existence. Series VIII is harder but at the same time given that it had the highest viewing figures in the shows run it's possible that the show could have never continued without it......and it did bring Rimmer back, so those reasons I would not say I wished they had never happened.....inspite of the disappointments they shared.

14. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

An interesting question...

Yes would be my answer. Doug is obviously a talented writer and since series VI we have only had about 30 episodes of his comedy in the many years that have elapsed. That has been a huge waste imo. Though obviously it comes down to me not liking those 2 series as well.

Series VII suffered hugely from the loss of Rob Grant, Chris Barrie and the audience as another poster mentioned. The scripts aren`t funny enough, the performances are lacklustre and Kochanski coming in to replace Rimmer (even if it wasn`t intended that way) massively damaged the balance between the characters.

Series VIII is funnier but the plotting and characterization is astonishingly bad. If this had been another sitcom (instead of these ideas being crowbarred into Dwarf) then it probably would have been better.

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Don't blame Doug, he never asked for this. I mean it's almost as if people are just using his sitcom as an excuse to be extremely crappy to one another. ;-)

I did get one positive out of this unpleasant discussion though. An offshoot thread on G&T led me to discovering this piece of genius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

I wish I'd found it earlier as I could have saved myself a lot of typing. ;-)

16. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

^ That's fantastic. Really made me smile.

17. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Followed by top gear, top gear and top gear

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yes I do. It would have been better for the show to end with series 6 rather than drag on for years with rubbish like 7,8, BtE & so far 75% of Red Dwarf X. :x

19. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Would people stop ignoring me?

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Great isn't it!

It's even better if you pause it as he turns each page and read the little headers above the main headline! It's almost like they read some of the stuff written on here! :lol: