Episode 3 - Lemons.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Oct 13, 2012.

1. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I don't know why, but I didn't find the trailer that funny. People are going on about the "Jesus - yes?" bit, but that feels rehashed and unoriginal, with not-so-great delivery, although it is out of context so maybe it'll sound better. Objectively, I have a bad feeling about this episode - I think it will make or break the show, as it seems to be the one that got the most people talking. If it's not so good, maybe RD future will be compromised due to a fall in viewing figures. I hope it will be a good episode, and it's not unlikely at all that it will be; trailers are very often misrepresentative. Story-wise, it seems very interesting and has the potential to play out very well. I don't think anyone will be offended by it, even if Jesus is portrayed as a normal man, as long as they don't commit PR suicide by conferring really negative characteristics on him.

2. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Maybe this is completely irrelevant and I doubt RD would get inspiration from it, but I just remembered a novel I read quite a while ago by Michael Moorcock called "Behold the Man." I highly recommend it; it is philosophically interesting and has a storyline that appeals to me at least. Although it portrayed Mary as a prostitute and Jesus as having mental problems, with the (also mentally unstable) protagonist finally occupying Jesus's role by getting disciples, quoting the Bible, performing mock miracles. I think he dies at the end because he told Judas to betray him so he could be crucified.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I seems to me that this one might be playing is more smartly then both Trojan and Fathers and Suns which both seemed to try to be classic but feel short in the execution. Lemons seems like it's just taking an idea (time travel being an old chestnut) and having fun with it......interestingly I feel this episode is likely to be more successful because it's not dealing with as deep and complex ideas and as such will work better for Doug to cut his teeth on and deliver a tighter script. I predict that this will be the more consistently good then either Trojan or Fathers and Suns.

4. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Personally, I think Doug should have written in Mithras (Another ancient fictional character - one of whom some so-called historians and scholars claim the Yeshu'a/Jesus character was based on) as a guest character instead. That Jesus character gets far to much press these days! :P

Although to add a nice little sci-fi comedy twist he could be called Myth-Ras.

On a serious note though, to be honest the trailer hasn't left me feeling very optimistic for some reason. And I'm a little concerned about the many times recycled Jesus/yes? gag. On the other hand, perhaps I'm just becoming a stereotypical Red Dwarf fan - A moany, whiney over analysing smegger who adorns rose tinted glasses to praise the earlier series and complain about anything new :P - it could prove to be a classic ep with it's own original Dwarfy feel to it.

Either way, I have a feeling this one is going to divide opinion much more that the previous two episodes.

5. Slainmonkey

Red Dwarf has never shied away from old chestnuts when it comes to a few gags like that, at the same time it generally uses then to good effect and I think it could have made a fun little reveal had we not prior known he was in the episode, as such I feel that spoils the gag because it has no surprise factor to it. I however won't hold it against the episode because I would have imagined that it's something Doug would have liked to be kept more quite but.......it just didn't pan out that way. Otherwise I think the episode just looks like a bit of fun in time.

6. Slainmonkey

I agree, I mean if there is one thing Doug Naylor is good at it's going about touchy historical material and people in a tasteful way.....Simmy, I know you hated Tikka to Ride but one thing I'm sure we can both agree on is that it tackled the JFK thing in a non-offensive way, to such an extent that that American's were only seemed to be slightly offended by the cannibalism. I also bet when it airs we will see that people are making a fuss about nothing.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Probably because it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3kcnm2THXI

8. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah I s'pose. I'd agree with that. :-)

9. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I refuse to say anything until Thursday night.

Just seen the trailer again and always makes me smile :-)

10. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Brilliant. Better than anything Doug could come up with.

11. Slainmonkey

Always so negative, honestly I thought Doug's own "No, we just hosed him down and gave him a hat" line was funnier.

12. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I obviously didn't. . .:roll:

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Plagiari...(cough) similar idea aside, Red Dwarf's version does make better logical sense since nobody would have used "Jesus" as a swear word in the time of Jesus. Not that Brook's scene has to make logical sense given that it's a nonsensical sketch.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i now take back what i said about this scene, i thought they were constructing the device but from the pictures on dave website i can say its not that :shock:

15. Slainmonkey

Those pictures are curious to say the least

16. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I cant see any pictures on the aforementioned website.

As you can understand, I cannot/will not say anything until 21:40 or so tomorrow night.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its in the gallery section of the dave website :P

18. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I see it now.

And I shall only say this, no comment. ;-)

19. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Any links to this gallery? I'm a complete yutz and cannot seem to locate it. :-(

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant