Episode 3 - Lemons.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, Oct 13, 2012.

1. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Whilst I defend your right to your opinion I respectfully disagree sir.

2. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Really enjoyed that, would say it's my favourite of the series so far... probably favourite since Epideme. I'd give it 8/10.

What I think elevates this above anything in Series 8, too, is that a lot of the dialogue is more character-driven rather than trying to get a joke in every 5 seconds. I felt like Doug reacted to some fans not liking the 'drama' of series 7 by going too far the other way in series 8 to try and please; I think the balance is just right here.

Great episode!

3. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

red dwarf 10 classic:-D

4. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

Yeah, what the hell was that bit about?! Can anyone clarify?

5. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Ummmmm that was well weird lol. I don't have a clue what to make of it.

6. Rewcastle

Yeah, what the hell was that bit about?! Can anyone clarify?

7. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

No point in keep watching it then if it's that awful! :roll:

8. SleepySoul

SleepySoul Third Technician

I thought there was about 3 reveals of Jesus and they ignored the first two.

9. MacabreMagpie

In Back To Earth, Lister discovered Kochanski is still alive as she didn't die, as he thought, but left the ship. He decided to come back to reality from the despair squids illusion to find her.

10. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

First reaction...

Lots of funny jokes. Not many "oh dear" moments. Loved the bit where Kryten explained he has been performing operations on Lister!

I thought the stuff about Christianity causing loads of wars was a bit much. Felt a bit "let's flagellate ourselves for our history". But it was partly made up for with Lister's comment about people mis-using the religion for their own ends. (I'm not religious but I think Christianity has taken more than enough of a beating in the last 40 years.)

I didn't like that Jesus and his friend had Manchester accents - should have been RP. It just broke the suspension of disbelief that they were speaking like contemporary Northerners. I realise RP wasn't around in India in 23 AD, but it is a generic, non-region specific accent so it wouldn't have torn me out of the story.

I think this is the funniest episode of RDX so far. Streets ahead of Fathers & Suns, which was just an embarrassment for me. This one felt more like classic Dwarf than either of the first two episodes.

11. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

:-) Yay, do I win a prize? ;-)

I was pleased that it turned out that way. If it hadn't I feel it may have caused a fair bit of offence, but as it happened the ending was perfectly wrapped up with no genuine reason (that I can see at this point) for anyone to feel offended.

I must say again that those sets really were rather impressive. I saw a tiny part of it (partially built) on the night of the recording I went to, but they obviously evolved a lot since then. I was pretty much sold that it was an outside location, even though I know it wasn't. :-)

12. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

There was, the first reveal that saw us clapping A LOT laughing whilst the guys held their positions and let us simmer down, then when they were chatting amongst themselves "Jesus" is mentioned again and the gag with Jesus turning round is repeated.

Also, remember when Kryten tells Lister and Cat about how he had stored the organs away? That moment saw quite a big "Euuugh" response from the audience.

13. Ianjk78

I prefer the first 2 but still been a good series so far, best since series 6,
    it's far from an awful series, it's a very good series :-)

14. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

The Advent Hoppists bit jumped out at me, but perhaps Rimmer's parents changed religion when they realised it was a misprint.

Also interesting to note is the end credits: 'the' Jesus and Jedus at the end were credited as 'man who may be Jesus and Judas'. Playing it safe. I like that.

It definitely felt like something from series one in that there were never any big laughs and the jokes were sparse. The plot felt a little thin on the ground, but all in all, a nice episode. Nothing too special but a good half hour of telly. Probably give it a 7/10 on first viewing but I'll be watching the repeat. In relation to the other two episodes, not as good as Trojan but much, much better than the extremely average Fathers and Suns.

The final scenes were nice and it's hard to argue it being 'against-religion' when it wasn't actually Jesus. I think it was handled well, all in all.

15. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Yeah how come they didn't know that it wasn't really Jesus?

He had a kidney stone, he would have died in a few weeks if they didn't meet him and therefore wouldn't be the son of God etc, how come they didn't figure that one out?

Also Lister said "JC" and he responded, if his surname isn't Christ then why respond.

In all honesty this new series has been "okay" at best, nowhere near the quality of series 1-6, or even 7-8 for that matter

16. Rewcastle

Yeah I know that bit :-) It is just a little odd that they chose that moment to chuck in the fact that is Lister's main goal.

17. MacabreMagpie

If I was going to point out one negative it would be that I guessed it was the wrong Jesus pretty early on but it didn't really ruin my enjoyment of it.

As I said twice already (sorry, forum broke = double post) I really loved this ep. Was worried after last week which I thought was a bit crap but this was a great ep.

18. PixelPrime

PixelPrime Third Technician

Did anybody else pick up on how amazing the set design was in this latest episode?

I was initially disappointed when I saw the hammy 'traveling map' graphic (are we to believe the crew actually walked 4000 miles to India over 6 months?), it was all forgotten when the incredibly detailed set of the Indian village popped on-screen. Possibly one of the most incredible (hand made) sets I've seen on the show yet.

Shows they're making a good effort, in my opinion!

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

dougs gags ain't quite as sharp as early red dwarf but the episode wasn't bad, well told story

20. Ianjk78

Actually he just said the J word and not JC