RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is the official thread for discussion of the content of the episode TIMEWAVE. Once the episode has appeared on UKTV Play (and NOT before), this thread may be used to discuss any and all elements of the episode. Anyone who has not seen the episode who enters this thread does so at their own risk!

Until the episode airs on Dave, you may continue to discuss it in other threads (as well as here), but only in relation to officially-released information. Once it has aired on Dave, it can be discussed in any thread in the "Red Dwarf XI/XII" conference, but you may not put plot details in thread titles.

For more information on the spoiler policy, please read this thread.

2. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

My two favorite series of Red Dwarf.

The Cat likes this.
  3. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Am I allowed to ask how everybody feels about this episode from what's been released without having seen it?

4. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

I'm curious how will Blofeld-Rimmer fit into the story.

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I really like the pemise. I feel positive about it.

The Cat likes this.
  6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Iffy about this (on the synopsis alone)......... but hope to be proven wrong!!

7. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I'm keen to see how the name 'Timewave' comes into it.

8. mrmmlp

mrmmlp Skutter

The Johnny Vegas promo shot's worried me since it was first released. I think the idea's promising if they approach it with a degree of subtlety.

The Cat likes this.
  9. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Well Johnny Vegas in a bright pink Police helmet doesn't scream subtle to be honest.

10. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I'm calling it now: this will be the worst episode of RDXII. And Skipper will be the best.

11. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Yeah but I’m just worried that they’re going to go over the top with it... I still think it will be great though, I mean, it Red Dwarf isn’t it! How bad could it be?

12. mrmmlp

mrmmlp Skutter

It doesn't, but aside from that picture, we have no idea how the rest of the story is going to be tackled. So, I still have hope that they will prove my doubts wrong.

13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It's not just the costume, the set looks awful. Why is the ceiling made of blankets? It's like the set designers made a "den":

[​IMG]

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Where can we find the episode synopsis?

As much as I liked him in Ideal, I'm not sure about the casting of Johnny Vegas. I fear that seeing a celebrity in Red Dwarf that I'm very familiar will be jarring and will pull me out of the episode.

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It might actually be the first ever guest star I'd recognise from something else, who wasn't buried under a prosthetic or heavy make-up (à la Jay from Inbetweeners).

16. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Butler last series was played by Dominic Coleman who has been in so much stuff. One of those actors you'd recognise and you've probably seen him in a few things. Plays a lot of recurring or guest roles. Totally right about prosthetics though because I had no idea it was him until the credits rolled.

[​IMG]

It's only brief and it hints as to where the name timewave comes from:

"A ship from the 23rd century is washed up from the past and the Dwarfers run into a crew where criticism is illegal."

You might be right. Though weirdly I have high expectations about it purely for the reason that episode 3 of XI was its best. A really good episode at the half way point of the series seems like a good idea, but then the little we know about Skipper that certainly seems like the most exciting one.

The Cat, Bluey and jmc2000 like this.
  17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

From radiotimes.com

Ant E and Bluey like this.
  18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I would have preferred it if the "weird ship" stories had been spaced out, but it looks instead like it's three ship-of-the-week stories in a row and then the stories onboard Red Dwarf. I agree that Skipper will be the best episode, it's the one I'm most looking forward to.

19. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

That's true, and I have a feeling I'm going to prefer the second half of this series. So far, the guest stars have been fantastic and I really enjoy the first two episodes now, but the series has felt very busy and populated, and it appears Timewave is going to continue that theme.

Definitely feeling a bit apprehensive about this episode based on the pictures released, the descriptions of its premise given in interviews and the slightly less positive set reports. On the other hand, I'm intrigued to find out how pink policemen, baldy-Blofeld Rimmer and David Bowie (as Richard Naylor hinted at the time) are all going to fit together.

20. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I'm pretty excited abut tonight's UKTVplay episode if not a little unsure, it looks a bit strange in the pics released and Jonny Vagas as a pink policeman type character it could be great or 'Bit Crap'.

I like Johnny Vegas' unpredictable weirdness but unsure how he will be written in as a RD guest. Still I'm hugely looking forward to this.

The Cat likes this.