RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

When did I say people shouldn't comment on how backwards and pantomime this was?........I've been criticising this episode over that for days on end now. However I and others have discussed what we believe Doug was "trying" to say with Ziggy which fits better into his commentary on Criticism being essential for society to function, it doesn't make Ziggy any less smege or horribly botched.....but I don't believe Doug was trying to say "Look at this silly fruit!", even though it does kinda come over that way.

2. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

hi all, i'm pleased to be able to get on here from behind the great firewall of china at last :-) well this ep is certainly weak by Dave standards but to be honest i enjoyed all of X and XI and the first 2 eps of XII so i think thats a decent quota. on first viewing i have to say i found it overall to be a lackluster affair. On 2nd viewing i warmed to a lot of it. I read that some people think Doug has lost it but it reminds me of a conversation I had about Sgt Pepper the other day. my friend loves it but i think When Im 64 is a stinker , can't stand it, but the album still has classics like A Day In The Life and Lucy In The Sky, so the quality outshines the stuff i dislike. So when i think of Red Dwarf the excellent episodes far outstrip the below par ones. I have a feeling the final 3 will be cool, and this will be a mere blip. We'll soon see.

3. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician Warned

You should have a listen to the 50th Anniversary edition, it comes alive like never before, it's astonishing how much they were able to pull from the original multi-track tapes.

4. Smegzoid

hi bud, yeah heard some already, it is astonishing isnt it. actually what they've done this time is not merely a remaster but they've gone back to the multi's which is great. are you getting it?
    incidentally Howard did that Beatles program a few years back that was quite cool.

5. Radio Pluto

Yeah, the Pepper sessions were recorded on four-track, bounced down to a single track, more recording, bounced and so on, the final mix was completed with a multi-generation four track master which was great for its day but now you can go right back to the original tapes and sync them all up, no generational loss or locked in volumes.

6. Smegzoid

exactly , ain't modern technology great.

7. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

When I'm 64? So you like Within you, without you?

But I agree with the overall theme of what you say - I have to admit, even the episodes that I don't like still have better gags in them than a lot of other comedy - I am (used to be?) a big series VII and VIII disliker, bit there are some seriously good one liners in every episode of those series.

(On holiday a few years ago a 'little merry' I borrowed the cheap Casio from the guy playing in a bar, and played When I'm 64 to a couple of women from Chesire (close enough to Liverpool from my perspective) and shall we say....a happy ending ensued...so I will have a fondness for that song.)

8. Radio Pluto

No, it's awful and gave rise to fan forums.

9. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I can't comment on Rob, but having spoken to Doug for the Gay UK and a book I am doing I can safely say he has a lot of love for the LGBT and female fans.

Pembers and Ant E like this.
  10. Radio Pluto

I wasn't being serious, Timewave just concerned me regarding a lot of tired old stereotypes.

11. Smegzoid

haha yeah i do actually like George's Within You Without You. I'm in real Dwarf mode at the moment and I can't wait for the next ep as it's had good things written about it.

In the meantime i had a laugh earlier and watched Cant Smeg Won't Smeg from years ago, i wouldn't eat anything the Dwarfers made lol

12. Smegzoid

ah there's good and bad in everything, i'd rather have them than not. i love reading reading the opinions of others.

13. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Glad you found it, as I was just coming in to tell I was planning a trip to the library to look it up. Glad I can cancel that one.

Chris D and Ant E like this.
  14. Slainmonkey

Honestly I think it'd all be far more constructive to pick apart what went wrong, rather then make half baked condemnations of Doug as a person. I mean otherwise we are being just as woefully misguided as this episode is!

Chris D, DivineVarod and Ant E like this.
  15. Radio Pluto

Coincidentally, I do my most constructive criticism while wearing a dress.

16. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

It is good to hear that, I guess albums have changed a bit over time ...these days you stick an album on an expect more or less one type of music - Sgt Pepper has quite a few different types....and is like a trip...and I kind of mean that in both senses!

Dwarf mood is one thing I (and I am sure 99.99% of the people on this site) can relate to! That is why I am happy these days, I have like 30 years to quote from...and people here who will know what I am talking about...or if they don't they will google it and discover it.

17. Slainmonkey

Preferably one previously worn by David Walliams!

18. Smegzoid

too true about variety on an album. incidentally what are everyones thoughts about the sound design , music, on the latest series ?

19. Radio Pluto

Blanket audience laughter is prevalent in modern sit-coms now and it robs the viewer of hearing very different audiences for each episode. The first run of Red Dwarf had some spectacular audience reactions and laughter because of the way the studio microphones were set up but now it's essentially the same sound at the tail of each gag.

20. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

If Red Dwarf ever had a Sgt Pepper then it was arguably IV or V... I'm afraid we're way beyond that... This is "Bootleg Beatles Sing The B-Sides" territory now.

Bluey likes this.