RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician

But Past Masters is excellent!

2. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

I am finding the production values bang on. You want music that is not taking you out of the scenes, but likewise you want to be drawn in. Perhaps it is a bit louder and brasher than the earlier days, but that is just a fashion - to me Dwarf always feels like TV someone gives a damn about, rather than something people feel they can just bodge to get out of the door.

Part of me imagines that Doug Naylor is sat with a big grin on his face as these episodes go out, because he has got such a good sci-fi look to the series and he is still getting great performances from that cast. Production values have always been top notch. They had about 50p to make the first series and it was still more believable than Blakes 7.

Red Dwarf is a comedy, nobody on the production team is having a laugh or thinking just OK is good enough - these people work really hard.

3. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

THAT... is true. Even if the writing gets sloppy, the production design doesn't. I thought Silicona in particular was an especially stunning looking episode.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Thing is in trying to make the show look great it can often affect the writing and quality of the show.

Just look at series 8 for example the moment Doug heard they could afford a CGI Dinasour he had to write a story around it even though the dino was only on screen for like 2 minutes because thats all they could afford.

And originally Doug wanted a CGI cat that starbug would fly into its butt but they couldn't afford it so Doug asked what they could afford to make in CGI and they said a rat so they went with a rat.

Then you have the blue midget dance ect ect and those things were fairly costly.

Doug wanted to make the show look cool and CGI was the cool thing back in 1999.

While i admire Dougs ambition i also kinda think his ambition goes way to far to try and be unique and it often falls below the mark and sits below episodes like back to reality which didn't feel like it had to try so hard to do it.

5. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I can't tell if you are serious here, I am presuming you are joking if only for the simple fact of Holly's 'Rat Arsed' joke and there being no such thing as 'cat arsed' jokes, unless you're a bit weird like.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

No i ain't joking, it was meant to be frankenstein that lister was hiding away and presumably recreated by the Nanos and lister was gonna make a joke about it being "The holiest of all holes" or something to that degree because she was the holy mother of the cat people.

From Reddwarf.co.uk

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    sundayforsammy likes this.
  7. Repo Man

Repo Man Third Technician

I loved it. I thought it was the best episode so far of the new ones. I liked the Robbie Vegas policeman. His pink suit was very funny. I also liked that everyone looked like Kryton!

jmc2000 likes this.
  8. SleepySoul

SleepySoul Third Technician

I reckon this episode wasn't written by Doug but had his name on it so he gets the criticism if it fails.

9. Repo Man

Repo Man Third Technician

I think Dug was probably like I DONT LIKE CRITISM lol and made this episode what do you think about that?

10. Underdunn

I think the episode was very pro-criticism. So I imagine if he ever reads this thread he'll be absolutely made up!

jmc2000 likes this.
  11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Why do you keep misspelling people's names?

12. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

Timewave is legitimately disappointing. The whole delivery of most jokes is slightly off for me. I can't put my finger on it but it's not snappy enough. Is this due to their age? Not sure but I had hope this series was going to be akin to Series V. It certainly started like that. As of right now we are three episodes in and I've hardly laughed. I just watched a few old episodes again and even though I know exactly what's coming I still smirk and giggle.

I'm confident things will improve. I'll stake my reputation on it.

13. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Did anybody notice when the gang were arested and going to get drained of criticism that the slave chains round their necks was the same used in Siliconia for the mechs in the engine room

Ant E likes this.
  14. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Holy flip that was one of the worse episodes I've seen for some time.

3 strikes, this series is out.

15. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

They are all pretty good at the beginning but dip at the middle end! Shame really. Last series had more good than bad!!!

16. Ant E

I am amendment that the episode would have rated a lot higher if;
    A. the camp actor wasn't camp
    and B. The camp actor was a different actor....

AJ Smegface likes this.
  17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

C. No Criticism Orgasm!
    D. Actually show how criticism can be positive, and not just insult a Rimmer monster to death!
    E. Cat not making digs at the breasts of nonexistent women!
    F. No "Spit on a wrist"
    G. Have jokes that are actually funny!

18. Ant E

Ooooo I say!

19. Underdunn

I'm adamant it would have rated higher if it had been shown in 1985 and been called 'Galloping Galaxies'

20. Ant E

Oh I made a spelling mistake. Grrr