RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician Warned

Even in 1985, that kinda humour was being lampooned.

Remember all the early '90s Welsh jokes? It's dated terribly.

2. Repo Man

Repo Man Third Technician

I am sozz Baloo! I didnt go to OXFORD like you did apparantly! LOLOLOl BRB

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Just before the cat mentions the bad 'titties' and 'captain arsehole' jokes he delivers probs the best line in this episode with this joke to the Critcop. "Caution, How dumb is this guy"

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I don't understand why the ship doesn't just drain everyone's criticism by default. If they have the technology to render the crime impossible then why don't they use it. Why didn't anyone ask them who they were. No one at the restaurant cared, the Crit Cops didn't care. No one said "we haven't seen you aboard this ship before" "Yeah, funny thing, a time-wave pulled you into the year three million and we boarded to warn you you're heading for a helium planet, did your captain not say?". Why was the captain more interested in them breaking the criticism law than he was in the time-wave and the crashing-into-a-planet? Why didn't he acknowledge that they're not crew-members, they didn't know, they were only trying to help, and let them off.

5. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

The ultimate Critique of Time Wave.

6. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Ok that was pretty funny

7. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician Warned

That was bloody great.

Much better than my attempt.

8. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Nicely done, think this should have been on page 1 would have saved all our rants, sums it up nicely

2X4B-523P likes this.
  9. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Think possibly a crossover (no pun intended) to this,

10. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Oh god, I have to catch up on 14 pages... Wish me luck...:uhoh:

Pembers likes this.
  11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

I wouldn't bother.

A few people didn't like it and they just basically said the same things over and over. Just watch the episode yourself and form your own opinion. It's nowhere near as bad as a few people on here make it out to be.

12. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

You know what... I can’t be bothered, I'll just carry on from here!

DivineVarod and Chris D like this.
  13. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

I really liked it (I know I said that before, but why should only the haters get the fun of repeating themselves?!!)

14. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

Also I have watched it twice and will probably watch it again now as Mechocracy -the one i am most looking forward to- is coming tomorrow. I did actually really like this episode the only thing that bothered me is the weird guy that tried to “drain” them, he was just irritating but otherwise, a great episode! I don’t think it had an amazing plot but it had me in stitches the whole time (especially the cat not getting the concept part just before the add break) and for me that’s what matters most in Red Dwarf.

UltraDevotee and AJ Smegface like this.
  15. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Why can't I just like half a post? @Seb, can this be fixed?

16. The Cat

The Cat Third Technician

I hope there will actually be more going on actually on Red Dwarf it’s self as, while I do like it when they visit other ships, I prefer it when they just mess around on their ship so I hope the next three will be more like that as we have had three in a row not on The Small Rouge One. So I hope Mechocracy will be more on the ship...

17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That's subjective, honestly if anything we understated how bad it was.....hell I even tried to cherry pick the few small things I did like. I wasn't seeking to be that negative, but I do believe it was just that bad!

Abe likes this.
  18. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Thanks to all the snark and bile that's been written on these here pages, I've come to start enjoying the episode in a kind of 'Troll 2' type way!

Also, I have to say that this might be one of the only fan-forums I've frequented where you can spew venom soaked criticism at the source material and nobody (well, almost nobody) takes personal offence over it! Which is gorgeously refreshing I must say! I don't think I've read a single "If you don't like it, don't watch it." comment!

So hooray for the badness of Timewave, hooray for the maturity of the forum and roll on 10:20 tomorrow night when a whole new episode can become the target of either more vitriol... or perhaps universal praise!

The Cat likes this.
  19. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Well, there was an explosion, so I'm going to conclude that the dialogue was a red herring and it was, in fact, Lister touching a guitar.

20. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

A bit late commenting on this one, but I thought I'd wait for the tidal wave of negativity to wash away first (some chance!).

It's quite hard to say you like something when so many others are saying the opposite - and I find comedy's the worst area for this, because as soon as someone dismisses something as 'not funny', it really kills it for me and makes me question my own judgement. But anyway, I watched Timewave without reading any reviews or opinions (other than the set report, which had definitely lowered my expectations). And I actually quite enjoyed it, despite agreeing with many of the criticisms that have been levelled at it in this thread (I get why someone made that Bottom video, that did make me laugh!).

It's nowhere near Series VIII-levels of bad, which to me is fundamentally unwatchable. OK, so this episode is a bit pantomimey at times, but at least it's a deliberate pantomime, and one in which the Dwarfers themselves are not participating (they play it fairly straight while all the madness goes on around them, unlike in Series VIII when all the characters seem OTT). I think the Enconium was meant to have a random, almost psychedelic vibe, with the whole experience feeling a bit like a 'voyage to trip-out city' (that's how I felt after watching it, it was a bit like having a cheese-induced nightmare!). I don't think campness itself was being held up for ridicule in any way, so perhaps it was unfortunate that Ziggy's performance could lead to such an inference being made (I rather liked him though). Pink is supposed to be a calming colour, as well as being quite garish in large quantities, so I can see why they went with that for the ship's decor and costumes.

Some really good moments in this episode too, to balance out the dud ones and I enjoyed Johnny Vegas's performance despite being apprehensive about it beforehand. So overall, not the best episode of Red Dwarf ever for me, but a long way from being the worst. Having said that, I'm glad we've got this episode out of the way as I've been kind of dreading it for nearly two years! Really hoping that the last three episodes of XII are an improvement - I'm quite confident that they will be. :-)

UltraDevotee and AJ Smegface like this.