RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Whoever made that Bottom watching Timewave clip... hats off to you. It made me laugh lots

Pembers likes this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

That's actually pretty key for me. I think people are losing that perspective in their comparisons to VIII.

I re-watched the episode last night and I already liked the episode but parts of it started to make more sense to me. (The first time I watched it I was totally tired. Second time I watched it I was on a plane. Maybe I missed something.). But a big part of the story was that the people on the ship were encouraged to express themselves without fear of criticism. This translates directly into flamboyancy in the way people dress and behave. Ultimately the set and the actors, especially Ziggy, fit well in the episode for me.

Well said, nice critique of the episode.

For me some other things worked where they didn’t for others.

Cat insulting the cop actually had one of the biggest laughs from me in this episode. There’s a certain irony to Cat exclaiming “How dumb is this guy” while being totally oblivious himself that he’s about to do the one thing they really shouldn’t do on that ship - let alone to a cop.

"To spit on her wrist" / "The clitoris" probably had the second biggest laugh from me. This is totally something I can see Rimmer getting confused with. On the contrary the earlier alternative about "G-spot" / "cheese-pot" just doesn't work for me. I can better understand someone thinking that spitting on someone could be an intimate act more so than whipping out a pot of cheese. It is implied that Rimmer actually went around spitting on girl's wrists and if you can imagine a girl's reaction to that vs. someone getting out a pot of cheese in front of them then for me it becomes all the more funny.

I was fairly ambivalent towards this episode after the first watch. Now I've watched it a couple of more times I actually think I like it more than Siliconia.

Current XII ranking for me:
    1. Cured
    2. Timewave
    3. Siliconia

3. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

And yet nobody was nude or even in anything vaguely close to it. Seems wrong.

jmc2000 likes this.
  4. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

This episode would have been much better had either (a) the Enconium seemed like a place anybody'd want to stay during the first half, and then started to show its issues in Act II, or (b) the urgency of THEY ARE LITERALLY ALL ABOUT TO DIE was a little more apparent.

5. davidjames

davidjames Skutter

I went into this episode not expecting a whole lot, although I mostly avoided reviews, I got the impression it wasn’t going to be particularly good, that, and the knowledge that Johnny Vegas would be in it put me off the episode.
    However I really enjoyed it. I thought it was very funny all the way through and Johnny was even good himself. Best episode of the season so far for me. I generally really like the eclectic mix of ideas and stories that come out of episodes too in this era of red dwarf. Good solid episode!

UltraDevotee and RainbowGazelle like this.
  6. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Ewww there’s something a bit... um... violent I suppose, about spitting. The thought of Rimmer spitting on a woman during sex isn’t one I find chucklesome at all. To be fair though, that wasn’t actually my issue with the joke. To me it was the fact it doesn’t really work. It doesn’t scan at all. What could the sentence have been that Rimmer misheard the word clitoris within? “Concentrate on her clitoris/Concentrate on her to spit on her wrist” - I just don’t know.

7. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Watch out for Slainmonkey, mate. He'll be after ya... :scared::eek::evil:

8. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Is there any combinations of scenarios where Rimmer having sex is chucklesome? That's not the funny bit; the funny bit is imagining the reactions... "Oh the looks I used to get!".

He said the sentence he probably misheard.

"The most important thing is the clitoris".

"The most important thing is to spit on her wrist".

It seems feasible to me, and therefore it amuses me, and it really doesn't feel as contrived as people are making it out to be in my opinion.

RainbowGazelle likes this.
  9. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Just finished watching Timewave and, um, feeling a bit self-conscious about reviewing/criticising it!

In all honesty, I really enjoyed it. I liked the premise of criticism being illegal and how it affected the crew, namely the Cat and Rimmer: they were smegging excellent. Cat's smeghead tirade against Johnny Vegas had me in stitches: easily the comedic highlight of the episode. I'm not a prude when it comes to swearing (I do it a lot, thank goodness for words like smeg!) but I do find some British comedies tend to overuse it. I say that because I think swearing can be very funny when used sparingly, which is why Cat's outburst was so great (IMO). [I'd also like to add something obvious, but Danny John-Jules is such a great physical performer. Makes sense him coming from a dancing background, but even the way he imitated the "villain's" flying away gesture was very elegant. I think X, XI and XII has really made the Cat cool again.]

And then there's Rimmer. For me, it was that climax with his overloading criticising and the subsequent emergence of his Dr. Evil-esque critical Rimmer which sold me on the episode. Rimmer's such a complex character and Chris Barrie's such a stand out performer (both comedically and dramatically), as a fan I just love it when they give him something good to chew on. I love 'em all equally by the way (I'm personally hoping there's a Lister-centric episode in the remaining three eps, feels like we've not had one since Fathers & Suns. Though there was Dear Dave...) but, trying to stay on point, the Rimmer/Critical Rimmer moments were classic Red Dwarf.

I will throw in a criticism, though. I can't help but feel there's been an over reliance on having characters perform camp for the sake of humour. The captain today, the counselling mech last week, Hitler the week before that. It's too easy, and them simply being camp isn't funny in itself, not to me anyway (still, I'll admit the squeezing/juicing/whatever-the-term-was line by the captain did crack me up).

Throw all the above together (plus the great opening Planet Rimmer scene, and Johnny Vegas being a hoot too), and I'd say this was a fun, series X style episode. For now, I'll give Timewave a 7.5 out of 10. I was very tempted to give it an 8 just for the penultimate Rimmer scene, but the very final ending was a bit naff. I know, arrest me!

UltraDevotee likes this.
  10. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

I'm confused as to why the camp captain at the start of the episode said he was going to seek out their captain, when I thought it was him that is the captain. Or did I mishear/misunderstand?

Abe likes this.
  11. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I'm not sure how the counselling mech was camp?

I wondered about that too...

Abe likes this.
  12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Given the confusion of jobs on board - with people randomly doing tasks they aren't any good at - maybe the real captain never showed up because he was treating people in the hospital, or cooking lousy meals in the restaurant?

Pembers and Abe like this.
  13. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I never said people can't like it....infact it's good that people could find enjoyment in an episode I couldn't. I mean after all we all view these things differently, once I even met someone who said that Pete Part 2 was their favourite episode.....citing how funny they found the stuff with Archie. As much as I criticise this episode and nearly everything about it, I won't criticise people for liking it!

SweatyChimpBoy and jmc2000 like this.
  14. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Mostly it was the voice (or tone of it) for me, kinda reminded me of Kenneth from Benidorm. That and the character wasn't very masculine.

15. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

He can't repeal the law, that's criticising it. Plus, once everybody was back at their roles, he still had the power to reinstate the rule.

16. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Dogshite. The saddest thing about the episode was they tried to stop the ship crashing. What they actually should have done was press the accelerator as quickly as possible,kill everybody aboard including themselves, and give everybody watching this garbage thirty minutes viewing time back.

Do the writers not see the irony in making an episode about criticism one of the worst they've ever written

17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I have to whole heartedly agree, I mean I know this one has its fans.....but I found it a real low point for the show.

18. Underdunn

BZZZZZZ! No. Disallowed.

Tried a variant of that one myself. Doesn’t work - if anything it makes the already dubious syllable adding scan of cli-tor-is’to spit-on-her-writst even more problematic by also having to having to mishear the word ‘the’ as ‘to’.

This joke remains null and void until proven to fit.

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Maybe his brother speaks with a Yorkshire accent. The most important thing is t' clitoris.

20. Underdunn

I’ll allow it. Now if you can also come up with a reason for ‘tor’ to convincingly transform into ‘on her’ then I’ll be prepared to overlook the unlikely eventuality of a CL sound coming out like a SPI sound and give the joke a very very very generous pass (with a caution).