RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Does anyone know who the warm up guy was?

2. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

I think it was a guy named James Farmer going by the set reports.

3. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Christopher Biggins probably.

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

What on Earth did they do?!

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Having not been there, I dunno.....that's as much as I could piece together from all mentions of it.

6. Underdunn

Have you ever seen 'The Wicker Man'?

jmc2000 likes this.
  7. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Said "Ha ha haaa! Look at all the sci-fi nerds in here!"

Abe likes this.
  8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I think this is Timewave's set report.

9. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

It's really interesting to read all the opinions on here and obviously the ones who don't like it, really don't like it. But there have been some of us as well who have appreciated it and like others have said the general response on twitter has been positive. Also although not all the critics liked it, some did.

Okay, I will have to see whether it stands the test of time - after all I have only watched it once and I can see where some of the criticisms have come from that have made it such a "marmite" episode as another poster said. But on first TV broadcast last Thursday that opinion in my review is my honest first reaction to Timewave. It was pantomine-y but it was such a compelling, ridiculous source of humour throughout the episode that that style fitted it fine. Johnny Vegas was hilarious. Okay while I personally found it funny, some of the sexual humour did go a bit too far but Armstrong and Miller and Car Share series two, episode two all has similar kinds of comedy like that and I still thought it was a very good episode, on first viewing of course. I know others were not happy with the end but I thought while a bit less cerebral than most other series 11/12 episodes it had enough complexity about it to be a satisfying pay off and after all the very closing scene when they scarper is an end similar to the likes of Emohawk, Timeslides and Stasis Leak etc.'s ones.

Okay perhaps I did think this episode was very strong because while I hated half of series 8, I adored the other half of it. But anyway it had a great premise and after first viewing my opinion stays the same that it was very good Red Dwarf though perhaps not totally like the late 1988 to 1993 glory years of the show.

Also the viewing figures actually increased for Timewave which is a great achievement given usually that they get lower and lower. But I do wonder whether like series 10's Dear Dave, an episode certainly this divisive should have been show 5 as I worry that the viewing figures might collapse this Thursday coming, as the ones who really hated it might abandon series 12 totally. For example, series 11's best episode Give and Take was shown in third position!

While perhaps it was not perfect it was still very good Red Dwarf for me and I preferred it a bit to Siliconia. Though whether these feelings remain after future watches we will have to see as I feel it could become the opposite way around...but have to see anyway and for now these are my honest attitudes.

10. UltraDevotee

One other thing though so far - after only one view of course - only one episode, Cured, has been outstanding for me and might go up from 8.25 to at least a 9 possibly, after repeat watches. While the other two have been 8 or almost 8 so really when you think that I ended up rating Twentica 9, Samsara 8.5 and Give and Take 10, series 12 has been a bit inferior to 11 so far. So while I have enjoyed Cured and Timewave very much I really want and hope given the critics early previews that this second half of the series will be significantly superior and we can see a couple of 9 rated and a 10 (maybe even a couple of 10s) that rank amongst the best Red Dwarf to really make series 12 genuinely worthwhile.

11. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Someone else who likes it! That makes about five of us! :thumbup:

I think you'll be very pleased with Episode 4.

12. Underdunn

I don't think it'll cause a drop in ratings this week Ultra. I think the main critics of the episode are the hardened Red Dwarf fans - and they'll keep tuning in anyway!

13. Underdunn

I think Doug should track you all down for DVD cover quotes!

"Not as bad as everyone is making out!" - Chris D (Reddwarf.co.uk)

;-)

14. UltraDevotee

On Happy New Red Dwarf Day 4 (or should that be 5 for most of the rest of you), just a few hours to go now. Sounds like the next episode might well be something special, so looking forward to it.

But anyway, this time last week I thought Timewave was very good but yes I will have to see whether it stands the test of repeat watches and I am hoping for an absolute classic this evening.

15. UltraDevotee

Hopefully that is the case, though I did notice less people had viewed the Mechocracy thread. Though just have to see and maybe that doesn't really count in terms of the viewing figures. Like another poster said, I hope the they remain above 1 million for the rest of the series though that can be difficult.

16. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I've given timewave another watch and found the first half to be pretty solid. Apart from the American bit I found it rather funny. It was the second half that let it down. I did get the impression that it could have been a great episode if only some of the annoying features were altered.

SweatyChimpBoy likes this.