RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

Remember we can't criticise thus episode, it's against the law
    Another Guitar mention, 3 cord Dave, this has some nice moments and a few not so great.
    Did the woman not say sorry for cooking rimmers nuts then he said she might have appoligised.
    Cat calling the cop an arsehole was nice, my only real problem was the weird guy in charge.
    Nice to see Rimmer talking about his old self.
    90% of this episode was good, wonder why he had to use the same sort of joke reference ie getting gropped at the BBC.
    Well 3 down 3 to go.

2. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Blimey, I thought that was never going to end!

I did not like it. No sir.

Struggling with this series I am. Struggling.

3. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Oh dear..... Simply awful. I like a lot of eps others do not. I see some good in series 8 back to earth even had its moments....... But this.....this car crash TV is simply awful. If this was series 1 of a new show would you honestly see this get renewed?

I am honestly struggling to want to tune in next week. The only bit which I thought was good was the start on the planet and the rim.er critic. If the ep had more to do with him ala confidence and paranoia it may have worked. Johnny Vegas was better than I expected.

Dave Thompson likes this.
  4. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Not a bad episode, better than siliconia but not as good as cured. Some of the jokes were great.
    7/10

5. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

That was great! My fave episode of XII so far. The jokes were good and the pacing was finally right, meaning that the Rimmer scene had more weight to it than the Mechanoid Rimmer scene in Siliconia. It shows that Red Dwarf can still do great episodes when the editing isn't hampering it.

6. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

On second watch, I've gotta say the American captain character was too annoying.

Still loved the episode, but he is dragging it down for me.

7. Matthew Polson

Matthew Polson Third Technician

Just watched this episode and have to say it was really funny especially with Cat calling Johnny Vegas' Character "Lieutenant smeghead" Right up there with Captain Bollocks XD

8. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Whoa this one seems like more of a mixed bag of opinions than any other I've read recently. Still waiting for family to go home so I can watch it...!

9. Matthew Polson

Matthew Polson Third Technician

Also going off that episode for a sec, who thought that 'MILF' bit in the previous episode was hilarious?

10. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I don’t know what was going on with The Cat this episode, he seemed absolutely furious about something or other - calling people arseholes, talking about their wife’s saggy tits and constantly attacking Rimmer with pretty much four different versions of the same “If you stay here you’ll get wiped... so stay here” - joke throughout the entire episode.

The Cat likes this.
  11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That was lovely stuff. Not only was it the funniest episode of the season so far, it also felt very classic era Red Dwarf: the dialogue was sharp and in character, the against-the-clock sense of peril, Rimmer talking about his childhood, the manifestation of his inner demons - even the diner with all its oddly-dressed patrons reminded me of the cafe in Better Than Life.

Various thoughts:
    • Nice looking scene at the start there on planet Rimmer.
    • The 'people doing jobs they're terrible at' thing made me think of Rob Grant's novel Incompetence. I haven't read it, but I know it has a similar concept with people doing jobs at which they're incompetent. I wonder if Grant will sue.
    • The joke referencing sexual harassment at the BBC gave me my first eye roll since I last saw season 8. I wish Doug wouldn't put in these kinds of modern references that will likely date quickly. And we already had one of these jokes in Cured.
    • Johnny Vegas was great and one of my favourite guest performances of the Dave era.
    • Another abrupt ending, though at least a reasonably funny one.
    Funniest lines: (I couldn't pick just one this time)

Cat: "Hey, bud, you should stick around. The Om song could go platinum here."

Crit Cop: "What's the story with his head? Looks like something from that TV show, When Circumcisions Go Wrong."

Overall: A good concept, nicely-written dialogue, and full of funny lines. Consequently, it felt very much like the Dwarf of old.

Rating: 8/10

UltraDevotee likes this.
  12. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

urgh. There's very few episodes I dislike, but worst episode ever. I cannot think of a worse one. Johnny Vegas just made things even more painful. No real laughs to be had.

Bad sets. Apart from the main Dwarf crew who looked like they didn't want to be there due to the absolutely ludicrous OTT story. The acting was OTT atrocious, and the ending was totally predictable and unfunny. Come back Kochanski, all is forgiven.

Why is it that many here always slate the many good episodes, yet think the bad ones like this are somehow genius?

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Because you're not the centre of the universe and people have different opinions to you.

Ant E, Chris D and RainbowGazelle like this.
  14. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

True, but this was just too awful which somehow made me say what I did. As a Dwarf fan, I like most episodes, including Series IX-XII. But this was horrible with cringing humourless characters. Even Kochanski was less annoying.

15. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I sincerely enjoy pretty much any episode that can keep me somewhat invested, but I definitely felt that this was one of maybe three flop episodes from Red Dwarf ever. That said, I know there were some troubles audience night, and I can forgive the performances being a bit dry and the cast seeming annoyed the whole time and all that. But, I've got to be honest, that episode was a bit of a waste. I couldn't track what they were even talking about for most of part one, and camera shots went almost everywhere that didn't matter. None of the jokes were that funny, and all the character bits were things I just didn't care about. I think most of the jokes which were supposed to even make sense were just Doug using some overplayed caricatures which were old at the recording date and are old now. I come to Red Dwarf for either characters I can connect with and follow or semi-original comedy, and for once this delivered none of it. I, of course, will rewatch it like 7 or 8 times, but right now I may have to rate this at about a 4/10. I sincerely spent a whole lot of the episode hoping I'd clicked a different show with Craig, Chris, Danny and Robert in it because I couldn't stand to see Red Dwarf like this.

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well, that was the worst episode since series 8.....absolutely atrocious!

17. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Skutter

I've got to agree with many on here. I love Red Dwarf to bits mostly and I usually find it hard to complain about an episode, but this was just cringe worthy. I felt embarrassed watching it. It was like watching 8 year olds doing a school nativity play. What the hell happened here? The first two episodes were great, then this garbage came along. And please, no more Cat "Lets leave Rimmer behind" jokes. They really are becoming way too overused, predictable and tedious.

18. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Skutter

I'd save your eyes from it's awfulness. It really is a bad one. A massive shame after the first two were so good.

19. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Ugh seems like a huge divide over this episode. I haven't watched it myself yet, will do later. I've disliked both the first two episodes so far so was hoping this one will be half decent...

20. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

So between this new ship and the escape pods from series 8 is it safe to assume Lister is no longer the last human alive and is intact one of hundreds/thousands who are 3 million years into deep space..........

The Cat likes this.