RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

To be fair......Doug is no stranger to having criticism directed at some of his weaker writing *cough cough*Series VIII*cough cough*, so one can only hope he takes his own advise with this stinker!

2X4B-523P likes this.
  2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

The captain could have had a personality that generated funny lines rather than being a camp cliché.

Abe and Slainmonkey like this.
  3. Slainmonkey

It actually might have been legitimately funny if he was still dressed like that, but played completely seriously. A humourous disconnect from how he looks and how he acts.......but no......Paul Lynde impersonation!

Abe likes this.
  4. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

'Marmite', to me, implies you either love it or hate it, regardless of what the actual ratio of number of people is.
    Also (because I'm sad), I actually went back through this thread and counted the number of users who posted 'Liked' or 'Disliked', and it's currently an 8 - 8 draw by my count.

5. NornIronRDFan

NornIronRDFan Third Technician

Norn here. Timewave yes, it had its moments. Some of the dialogue was excellent. It feels too outlandish though. The best is still yet to come in the second half of this series, if not then let's face it. Red Dwarf might be past its sell by date.

6. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

Wth was that? Awfully unfunny and just a waste of an episode. Another SS ship they encounter, Lister doesn't bat an eyelid about there being other humans, isn't he suppose to be the last human in this dimension?
    I just hated it. That's 3 stinkers in a row now. God I hope the last 3 are decent.

7. SweatyChimpBoy

The captain was like Big Gay Al from South Park! Half expected him to break into song... "I'm super!! Thanks for asking!" No no no just horrible

Paul Taylor likes this.
  8. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Marmite to me implies 'looks a bit like diarrhea' - an analogy I'm comfortable with when it comes to this episode.

Abe and Slainmonkey like this.
  9. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Dear Lord no. No, no, kill it, kill it with fire, no.

So, did I like Timewave? I mean, sometimes I wonder if I should try watching Krytie TV again. I think I've only seen it once or twice, ever.

This episode, possibly channeling Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, is probably, in my opinion, the worst. Episode. Ever.

Okay, there are some funny bits. Very few. Wish the gas giant bit hadn't been spoiled in the trailer. And Rimmer obsessing over the precious sand. Kryten reversing. The space corps directive.

BUT THAT WAS IT. Everything else... this is Red Dwarf, not Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. Or Rob Grant's novel, Colony. As soon as the restaurant bit started, I just thought of the restaurant at the end of the universe. The characters were all outlandish, with ridiculous costumes, and it looked like it had been done on a budget you couldn't even buy a bag of chips with.

Why did they go to the restaurant anyway? What was the ship's mission? Was everyone so relaxed at not being criticised that they became thoroughly incompetent?

This felt like a pantomime. Not a fan of Johnny Vegas at the best of times, but then he goes and starts feeling himself up and the camera lingers on him. They get sent to prison with the admittedly amusing tutting man who does absolutely nothing, they escape (okay, the Kryten/Rimmer argument is good) then go to have their criticism drained. Rimmer's criticism personified is good, but Rimmer criticises it to death? Really? Okay, I can partially buy an excuse that Rimmer has so much self-criticism that he can manifest the thing and gave enough left over to criticise it to death, but shouldn't it fight back? And using it as a lesson so the crew know "criticism can be good, m'kay?".

So far, series 12 has been a letdown - especially next to the pretty darn great series 11. We need more evil, more tension, more darkness. Not Johnny Vegas touching himself in a pink policeman costume whilst the captain with a funny skirt says "ooh matron". Give me an episode of Asclepius chasing the crew around the place, or something with just a hint of the Inquisitor's malevolence.

My thoughts are a tad scattered, but I'm just thinking of how we get ships or stations with special aspects or crews. The ERRA station had incompetent people, but didn't last long. The Simulants were a tad flamboyant for some reason, but were still menacing in battle. Samsara worked - it was a bloody great mystery, loved that one. Cured I can just put it down to the deranged plotting of a madman. But Timewave, and a crew so removed of criticism that they are stupid, and so stupid that it detracts from the episode, the comedy, and the very universe of believable, credible threats that the crew stumble through...

Compare Timewave to that episode everyone seems to hate, Meltdown. I just can't. It's like a different show, or a different version or something paying homage but can't get it right. Even compared with, well, anything from series 11.

10. Slainmonkey

If I can say anything nice about this episode........it's not quite as unspeakably terrible them Pete Part 2, but this is again only in relative terms. It would be like saying electrocution torture for an hour every day of the week is less bad then being slowly burnt to death. Both are horrifying beyond words....but one is less terrible then the other!

11. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

It was good until they broke out of prison!

12. SweatyChimpBoy

I wish I didn't mention Big Gay Al now, I've got that song in my head...

13. Slainmonkey

I think you liked it more then I did, the episode fell in a deep hole the second they met the Captain IMO. kyten's "duct tape on standby" line was really funny but otherwise that episode crashed hard for me at that point!

14. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

The Starbug scene was possibly worse than the actual on-ship material, and the on-ship material was very bad.

15. Slainmonkey

Did I mention how off Cat felt this episode, even setting aside his unpleasant dig at a Johnny Vegas' wife aside. He's normally been a bright spark in these Dave seasons but his jokes and line delivery were strangely poor here, and his digs at Johnny Vegas just seemed overly contrived to the point it was just painful unfunny. Not exactly Danny's finest hour in Red Dwarf!

16. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Well, I quite liked it.

Not my best but jeez, you guys are harsh critics. But thank smeg we don’t have to argue about guitar playing this time.

UltraDevotee and Ant E like this.
  17. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

18. Slainmonkey

This sums up many of our feelings on this episode!

SweatyChimpBoy likes this.
  19. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Oh you don’t like it? Yeah we got that already ;-)

RainbowGazelle and Ant E like this.
  20. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Quite the opposite actually. We now have confirmation that Lister DID try to improve his playing since the early days and that he can now play three proper chords! Let's assume those were the three he was playing in Cured... Continuity restored! Hooray! We were all fighting over nothing!