RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

My point exactly.

2. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I think we have every right to be harsh critics. As fans we are expected to buy these episodes on DVD when they are released. It's not too much to ask to have a consistency in quality. There is a distinct dip in quality from say Officer Rimmer to this episode. It's just not good enough really, not when there is a large fan base who expect a level of writing and comedy from such a popular cult show.

Slainmonkey likes this.
  3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Yes......but I keep thinking of more things I hated about it. I'm an avid hater of series 8, and that series was so weak it almost soured me on the show permanently. This episode wasn't just a bad episode like Dear Dave for me, it's a reminder of the shows' lowest point. It to me was more then just a bad episode, it was legitimately embarrassing TV!

4. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

But of course this is just my opinion. I'm sure others liked it and believe the quality has stayed consistent

Slainmonkey likes this.
  5. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I think they should have used the original actor for Kill Crazy though.

6. Slainmonkey

I'm afraid you're only going to get a Simulant37 level of grumpiness from me over this episode. I would love to say I enjoyed this one, it's not fun to be this negative about a show I love......but to be anything else would be insincere!

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Quite right! Everyone involved should apologise in the “apology” thread!

8. Slainmonkey

I didn't get involved in that argumement, so nothing doing!

I actually thought of another bit I liked, Rimmer and Kryten's argument in the prison over Kryten collecting isotope's vs Rimmer's collecting soldier figurines. That was actually a genuinely very funny exchange that I feel was buried under this episodes overwhelming problems!

9. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

As should everyone involved in the making of this episode.

Slainmonkey, Abe and SweatyChimpBoy like this.
  10. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

anyone know what was happening in the Starbug midsection scene? lister messes around for ages with the helium-7 sand stuff, presumably does *something* to it, then puts it back. the scene ends with rimmer looking at it in confusion, but its not really clear why?

11. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Third Technician

I think this is Doug's way of letting everybody around him know he needs to be criticised. Plenty of people must have been in a position to say Doug this is messed up. Cured has a great actor (with the biggest teeth since Dwayne Dibley) but the acting of the extras in this was poor, other than Mr Vegas doing ok (do you know why I pulled you over sir).
    9 minutes in and it has the making of a good episode but then in comes the captain, he isn't funny and is dressed like WTF.
    The possible problem is that Doug had a budget to spend so starts to dream up ideas that work in his head, he has been relying to much on older Jokes, this is good as it's the glue that makes up the Dwarf universe, it us wasted however when it is repeated 3 and 4 times in an episode.
    The fist two episodes are solid Red Dwarf with some good and bad bits, this episode if you listen had the audience groan with embaresment at the BBC groping issue, Listers first conversation with the captain was listless, I wanted more than anything to love or at least like this episode.
    To me I can watch almost any episode over and over again but the presence of the captain kills this.
    Everybody has a sound, smell or visual stimulus that annoys them like a picture hung at an angle, a certain persons voice or the smell of something, to me the captain is all 3.
    I have no idea if somehow Doug ran out of ideas or he listened to somebody else but this didn't work, some of the best Dwarf is the gang on board Red Dwarf,
    I think for most people on this forum who had high hopes this episode angers them because it's not so much a bad episode it's bearly Red Dwarf after the 9 minute mark.
    The good news, no the Great news is that we know for a fact that next week's episode will be better.
    I think if the next 3 episodes ramp up from here then Timewave may be forgiven and put down to trying to write 12 episodes at once.
    Fingers and toes crossed for next week

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Slainmonkey likes this.
  12. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

It seemed like Doug wanted to make fun of the American president for his inability to take criticism then went to him and asked his opinion on people who are really bad at taking criticism. Something like that which doesn't work.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The front page was the first place I checked before asking, but I couldn't find the synopses among the other articles.

14. Officer Kendall

Officer Kendall Skutter

I was at the recording for this episode, yes it was the one some of the audience were rude to the warm up guy. I haven't watched this on Dave yet so will comment on the differences between the night and final show later (looks like there are a few).

15. bilbobagenz

What was the atmosphere like after the BBC joke as it's the first time I have ever heard a negative response from the audience

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's always the way: If I like it everyone dislikes it - if I dislike it everyone's going on as if it's best episode ever. As soon as I rated Timewave 8 out of 10 I knew everyone would be slating it.

RainbowGazelle likes this.
  17. Slainmonkey

I do agree that it almost seems like it was done with a meta sense of irony to make an episode about the importance of criticism, in an episode that is so mindbogglingly bad that you can't help but completely pick it apart. Naturally that isn't the case, and Doug just fell back into his embarrassing series 8 ways......we can only hope this is a one off relapse. Either way after my mostly positive feelings on series 11, this series will never live up with an episode like this one dragging it down!
    If memory serves my our opinions on series X episodes weren't THAT disimilar!

18. bilbobagenz

I think if you can accept the captain and his style then this is a good episode, it defiantly has some nice moments, it's not you it's us, I just think that the captain ruined it,
    And like oddheads said what was with the sand scene was there something missing, would have been funny seeing him pour it out and fill it with sand or pepper, but was there some scene missing.
    Also if I'm not mistaken we see an actual Red Dwarf for the first time early on.
    So Bluey as somebody early in the thread says this is a marmite episode, unfortunately for me and others it doesn't ping our bell.

19. Slainmonkey

I think I might have some of the strongest feelings about this one......I just wish it were positive. I would love to feel the same way as you do about it @Bluey but nearly everything about this one rubbed me the wrong way.....and I'm one of the people who quite liked Can of Worms. If I were to realistically rank this one, I'd place it somewhere inbetween Back in the Red Part 2 and Only the Good. Kinda right in the middle is series 8 badness, which is a downer for me personally......but hey, maybe I'll like next weeks episode better!

20. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Okay, I've watched it back and now I get it... But blimey is it laboured!

Right... What happens is this:

Lister and Cat are obviously supposed to be weighing the sand and putting them into little bottles for Rimmer.

Lister pours some of the sand into his hand after weighing and starts playing with it... Just messing about as far as I can tell.

Rimmer walks in. Lister quickly chucks the sand he was playing with on the floor so Rimmer doesn't see what he was doing, he then rubs it away under the table with his boot... Kryten notices him doing this, which is why he asks for Lister's boot later on in the cell scene.

Lister hands the bottle to Rimmer. Rimmer looks at it, thinks it looks a little light but then shrugs it off.