RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Why did they have the draining machine on board if they'd not outlawed criticism until well after they'd taken off? Did they already have it on when they left just in case they needed it? Certainly they didn't have enough spare parts sitting around to build a whole room full of it once they needed it, and even if so it wouldn't have been built so well since they wouldn't be able to target their own mistakes in building it! The machine shouldn't work, or else they happened to own one for no good reason already!

2. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Watched this last night when trollied and didn't like it too much. Re-watched today and it felt better.

Some funny dialogue, particularly between Kryten and Rimmer, loved the 'Shut Up Kryten' gag. Liked the stuff with Rimmer's inner-critic, cool visual too. The ideas of timewaves and criticism being illegal were ok .

I'm afraid that's the best I can do.

As Oddheads said what was going on with Lister and the moon dust? It did feel like they cut an important bit out there.

As a few have said what the smeg was up with Cat? He spent the whole episode angrily growling at everything, he definitely missed a nap or two that day. I know the point was about not criticising but he could have delivered it in more of a 'chirpy' Cat sorta way.

I didn't mind Ziggy as a character and found some of his interactions with the crew funny, I didn't get the widow twanky outfit though. I understand the point is you can't criticise it and that's tough cos it's so ridiculous but I think something more subtle would have worked better, like a really obvious toupee or bad comb over. Same with the Crit Cop uniforms, maybe something like normal police uniforms with shorts, exposing their knobbly knees.

Best Guess Watch:

Approx 10:25, cheers Krytes.

The ending was ok, at least it wrapped everything up nicely, though I would have liked a better visual of the ship re-directing away from the moon, rather than just seeing it head towards the Dwarf.

Not too worried about why the boys didn;t try to get them to join them or save them from being swept away again in any way, spoke already about their blase reactions to 'death' of any kind, they wouldn't have lost sleep over these guys, though if, as seems possible they were human, maybe a line about that and Lister having his species back temporarily would have been nice.

Did anyone notice a reference from Rimmer about 'if we get back to earth'? I think there was a thread about the last time that was mentioned.

I'm giving this a 5/10, not a favourite unfortunately.

3. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Why doesn't Kryten move his mouth when he says he's reversing? Why has Kryten never been able to do this before? Why has he backed up before without this sound going off? Why did he need to reverse for so long when he could have easily turned around?

4. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

Just watched it for a second time, and actually enjoyed it - I was about 10 minutes in and I was wondering why I had been negative about it after the first viewing. Then BANG the flat/saggy joke, which I mentioned before is a joke which seems out of place in Dwarf, and on first viewing had just taken me out of the episode - it had less of an effect the second tine, and I found I was able to the rest of the show.

The initial exchange with Vegas (Are you telling me where to look implying that my attention...) was some good word play, and then Vegas finding out that he enjoys criticising things was good too - some nice scenes using a comedy guest star (although liking both episodes I don't feel we got to see enough of Eldon in Twentica or Buckley in Siliconia).

I am back on track feeling enthusiastic about this series now. I hope hardcore dwarfers will give it another go, and I hope lots of new viewers found it enjoyable - as I have said before, the production values and the effort that has been put into this new Dave era really is deserving of success for the show and Dave/UKTV.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  5. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Anyone think the title "Timewave" is a tad irrelevent? I mean yes, they go through a timewave, a timewave is involved, but the episode isn't really about timewaves, it's about criticism. I think they should have made the title be about criticism instead.

I initially liked the episode, but I think it is going to sink lower in my estimations. I think I was initally over-excited because it was such an insane and wacky OTT episode, and that stood out and it made me laugh, but now that the episode has settled in my mind, I think it will start to annoy me. The captain character was just awful, and he alone is making me like the episode less. And then Johnny Vegas' orgasm from using criticism was really silly. Things like that. Just too OTT. But, if in the right mood, I do like the episode, so who knows what time will tell.

Also, they didn't seem to touch on the idea of positive criticism, but only negative criticism.

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I will likely give this one another go when I rewatch the series as a while......but this one will be under duress.

7. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I really loved Siliconia, and so I've watched it once. Many, many classic episodes I've only watched twice. The most recent episodes I've chosen to rewatch other from XII were Can of Worms, Pete, Waiting for God. I've had three or four rewatches of all of VII and VIII each. I guess I'm a masochist, or just keep going back trying to find anything good. Given the quality of this episode, I should be rewatching it at least 20 or 25 times this week.

8. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I really think all the next three could end up really good.

9. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Abey it was basically a gag based on lorries/trucks over here that have an automated ‘This vehicle is reversing’ voice when backing up to warn cyclists and pedestrians, that’s all, we won’t hear it again I’m sure.

10. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Oh I know but that doesn't mean it's a good joke. It kind of implies that if Kryten runs into anything as he backs up it will be obliterated.

11. Slainmonkey

Oh god I really hope so, I mean if there are others as bad as this one was......I might not check back in for series 13!

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I felt the first half of the episode was promising although I do think Doug's need to repeat a joke over and over or drag it out until it's not funny anymore does not work that well, surely someone in proof reading/editing could say "hold a minute doug, this just isn't good".
    I found Kryten reversing quite funny giving that Roberts costume and size has grown very large these days so could genuinely be inline for reversing beeps.

The only thing that was good in the second half of the episode was Johnny Vegas with some funny lines, but another rushed and unfunny ending. Also too much pantomime-y bad camp characters seem to be Doug's preference since S8.

Half way through the series and I'm afraid if the next three are not a major improvement this will be the first time I will not be buying the DVD/Bluray thingy-me-bob.
    I do hope the last half of this series is better.

By far the best thing about this episode was the between scene planet flybys.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  13. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I do kind of doubt this since you've checked back in since series VII and VIII happened.

14. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

I think what hurts Red Dwarf the most sometimes are the annoying guest characters. Birdman; terrible, Ziggy; cringy, Robot Hitler; annoying, Ackerman; another campy stereotype, Epideme Virus; over the top annoying.
    And these were all post Series 6. I can't think of a single annoying guest star from 1-6.

15. Slainmonkey

Maybe but I had a decade to forgive the show after series VIII, I mean I guess it's just not ground I wanna revisit in new episodes.

Abe likes this.
  16. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

Yeah but XII is making VII and VIII look like III and IV!! :proud:

17. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

I don't know why people think series VIII is the worst when BTE exists.

UltraDevotee and sundayforsammy like this.
  18. Slainmonkey

I dunno.....I'd rank TimeWave right in the middle of series VIII in terms of qaulity, I do however agree it's far worse then anything in series VII!
    BTE is bad.....really bad but I still thing it's less offensively so then series VIII IMO. BTE is dull, and flat and Chris was really rusty as Rimmer. However it didn't fall into series VIII's embarrassing farce, and disn't systematically undo the entire premise of the show!

19. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Additional - Positives
    Johnny Vegas dressed in a bright pink police uniform - "I've betrayed this badge, and quite frankly I made this uniform an objet of Ridicule" outstanding line.

Life for tutting man was funny.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  20. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

I think to me VIII at least had the excuse of trying something different... Same goes for BTE... They failed so they went back to the dymamic and set up the fans loved the most again... and then somehow a turgid piece of bum-loaf like TimeWave still somehow manages to plop out all over our telly screens.

It's not good enough I tell you! :shake: