RDXII EPISODE 3 - TIMEWAVE - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

........I might be also the only person here who doesn't find Johnny Vegas funny, not just in that but in general!

2. SweatyChimpBoy

SweatyChimpBoy Second Technician

You're not alone there bud, I've never found him funny either

Slainmonkey likes this.
  3. Slainmonkey

Agreed it really isn't good enough, and honestly it makes me think that maybe having Doug write 2 series' back to back wasn't the best idea if we end up with stinkers like this one. It was weird, it almost felt like series 8 trying to mimic the classic Red Dwarf formula, which feels rather unsettling to watch. While series XI might have needed some tightening with the abrupt endings....I liked that series on the whole, I never dreamed series XII would have anything remotely this bad!

4. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

But ... I loved it ...

RainbowGazelle likes this.
  5. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Of course if you dislike a particular actor then no matter what he is in you will always dislike the part I suppose, I like Johnny Vegas and I did think his part was the only positive of the second half of this episode.

It feels to me, so far anyway, that the best of 12 eps filmed back to back have been used in RDXI and the leftovers made it to RDXII, I hope i'm wrong and the next 3 eps are blinders.

6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I get the sense the next three will be pretty good.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I like Johnny vegas... but that nipple rubbing critical orgasm stuff was horrible

8. Slainmonkey

I dunno I feel (while not entirely his fault because he didn't write this trainwreck of a script) he suffered from this episode ungodly badness as much as everything else. His criticgasm was one of the very worst things about this episode and truely felt like something lifted right out of series 8. I mean as must as I personally don't care for him as a comedian......I don't think anyone could have save that role after a pathetic scene like that!

9. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

It seems that the midsection of Starbug 1 does say Starbug 19, maybe we’ll find out why.

10. sundayforsammy

Aye, that was a little weird but I think just Doug's dragging it out too long. Vegas' lines were funny though, starting with the obnoxious cop line of "Do you know why I've pulled you over Sir" Krytens head shape line as well.
    The whole episode had some good gags but overall it was an awful pantomime S8 episode.

11. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I do think I've posted a theory about that somewhere on here.

12. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

When I first saw it, I thought it was second only to Pete Part 2 in badness. I've re-watched it a couple of times and am starting to warm to it a little. But maybe it's given me Stockholm Syndrome, I don't know.

sundayforsammy and Abe like this.
  13. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I just watched it...man I dunno. I dont think it was as bad as everyone said ...but it certainly wasnt good. Di there really need to be so many "leave rimmer behind" or variation jokes. I dunno. It might be better on re watching but I don't have much desire to re watch it. I would say its my least fave episode of the Dave era so far.

There is an episode of Lost in Space where vegetables have a rebellion. The guy that wrote it openly admitted "I didn't have another idea in my head" This feels kind of like that. Like Doug was on Twitter, seen some criticism and thought "wouldnt it be good if it was illegal" and this was what he plopped out. I am not really sure what it all meant.

Abe and Paul Taylor like this.
  14. Underdunn

Underdunn First Technician

My condolences. :-(

Abe, jmc2000 and SweatyChimpBoy like this.
  15. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Also just some more thoughts now I been thinking. The spit on the wrist "joke was just awful" at first glance I thought it was a joke but now I dunno. ALso what was Lister doing with the sand in starbug? He was like playing with it looking dodgy then nothing ever came of it?

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Someone made a point of pointing out that Lister shouldn't have had the sand on his boot since he was in a space suit when he was walking around on it.

Abe likes this.
  17. sundayforsammy

I agree, the clitoris joke was the worst joke I have ever heard in Red Dwarf. Doug seems to like a lot of these immature boy jokes.

Abe likes this.
  18. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

Whilst I get people feeling this episode was pantomimey, I still genuinely feel like it's the best of XII so far. Maybe not the best idea, but the best executed. Maybe it's the pacing or editing; I don't know, but the whole episode seemed to flow better and have more impact to me.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  19. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Goddamnit. Explain that!

Maybe the space-boots were actually space-spats?

20. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Lister dropped the sand when he took it from Rimmer's bottle, then he stood on it to stop Rimmer from noticing. Kryten noticed, that's why he knew Lister had that sand on his boots.

Abe and jmc2000 like this.