Episode 4 - Entangled

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dodgebizkit, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

Re-watched the episode a couple of times - always a few nuggets that slip the radar the first time around that pop out in subsequent viewings. Loved the episode from beginning (with the classic Rimmer and Lister scene), to the end with the punchline about the pen. This one and Trojan are my favorites thus far.

2. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

i totally agree with you with each subsequent viewing it seems to get better up there with trojan for me

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Woohoo, I'm in there ;-)

Okay so I finally, belatedly caught up with the pages of this thread I hadn't yet read when making my long post a few days ago, then I reread my own post (not something I do all that often, which is probably for the best really ;-)) and I noticed a massive mistake.

When I said I personally feel "Only the good" was classic Dwarf, what I actually meant to say was I feel "Beyond a joke" is classic Dwarf [gowd knows how I got those two titles mixed up]. I'm actually not so keen on "Only the good", so I just felt that an important correction to point out here.

Anyway, as you were, nothing to see here...

So, 'Entangled', a good episode wasn't it?..

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

While I wouldn't say Beyond a Joke was classic classic Dwarf, moments like "Hello Wall" and the lack of Rimmer hold it back. I do think it has classic moments and I liked the story, it was Kryten as his best in series VII, if was good. Entangled I think was a classic episode, while not in contention of my top 5 it's still in the upper-tier with things like Inquisitor or Justice...I was very happy with it.

5. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ah yes, the "Hello wall" line is not one of my favourites either to be honest, although it doesn't bug me as much as it seems to bother some of my fellow Dwarfers. Even what I would personally deem a 'classic' episode is allowed to have the odd misfire in my view. And obviously the lack of Rimmer in any episode is...unfortunate to say the least. Can you imagine how awesome that ep could've been with the addition of Rimmer? :-)

But even without him, I do find that episode most enjoyable. In fact I feel series 7 was handled very well over all considering the various unfortunate circumstances.

I too feel Entangled to be what I would personally deem a 'classic' episode. Although I'm feeling the need to remain a little...reserved at this point, so far as where I would place these new ep's in my over all ranking at this point. Purely because my opinions of so many past episodes tend to change a fair bit [although not always]. But it's definitely one I think I'll get much pleasure from rewatching in future :-)

6. TouchT1701

TouchT1701 Third Technician

8)
    Yes, late to the party, but I had a rough weekend, forgive me.
    Entangled. Loved it! :-D
    Show still has problems... but it's easy to accept them when the overall show is very enjoyable.
    It's now apparent that Doug's writing these in a formulaic manner, which is understandable in a practical way, but a little condusive to repetiveness.

7. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

So far this new series has been great.

The only thing i'd say is get a director in so Doug can just concentrate solely on the scripts. I mean, it is great but with a top director it could be just amazing :-)

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

It's not similar in any way, shape or form.

9. Slainmonkey

Honestly I've been finding it far less formulaic the what series VI was. While series X hasn't been perfect, I feel Naylor has kept the feel of each episode different with some being lighter, others darker and each have been a different kind of story.

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Pretty good. Not as good as Trojan in my opinion, but better than F&S and Lemons. The plot, I thought, was great and had a good "flow" to it, like Trojan. There's plenty going on as we go from Red Dwarf, to the BEGG camp, to the space station, then back to Red Dwarf. The whole Kryten/Cat thing didn't get annoying - it could have easily - and I loved Rimmer/Lister's H&S conversation at the start, Rimmer of course being the one to have killed the crew (and trying to blame it on lack of H&S). I'm also probably the only one who enjoyed the off-handed way that Irene was killed off at the end.

Side note - when Lister flushes the H&S papers out of the airlock, Kryten waves after them which I thought was a great little addition. Didn't need to be in there, but what the smeg!

Also, first episode of Red Dwarf that I watched - in 3D. Our new telly converts 2D stuff to 3D by deciding what must be the background and foreground. It's obviously nowhere near as good as stuff in proper 3D (hence we've come to know it as "pseudo-3D") but it makes the sets stand out pretty well (in particular the drive room) and the long, looming shots of Red Dwarf itself look great.

11. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

Ok. I picked numerous references from old dwarf. Legion. With the space station full of scientists. Waiting for god. with cat hunting in the hallways. Polymorph emohawk 2.with the gelfs.Psirens with the camera shot between the legs. Man The list goes on. My least fave so far but by no means a bad episode. In some ways it was more Red. Dwarf than the other three. I see how others rated it highly.

12. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Anyone know what the viewing figures were yet?

13. Slainmonkey

I believe it was the lowest yet but still over 1 mill not including the repeat.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It'll be a few days for the Entangled ratings to appear on Barb's website, but here's how series X is doing at the halfway stage:

Trojan - 1,976,000
    Fathers and Suns - 1,567,000
    Lemons - 1,519,000

15. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Watched it on Saturday night on my mobile phone as I'm in London and have been so busy I haven't been anywhere near a TV. I didn't like it (surprise surprise) but am going to watch it again now before writing a review on it to see how I feel after I have given it a few days to sink in.

16. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Wouldn't it be ironic if someone who was largely underwhelmed by the current series so far, actually watched an episode featuring co-incidence and irony as a theme and actually found that episode rather enjoyable?

I don't know if it was watching it on a phone with a bad connection or that I was tired or whatever it was, but I didn't enjoy watching Entangled on my first viewing. But after watching it again on Dave's website I have to say, that certainly wasn't a bad episode of Red Dwarf. I quite enjoyed it and it has done even more than Fathers & Suns to restore my faith in the final two episodes. The Beginning itself being the episode I most want to see.

In fact, bar a few niggles, I'd actually rate this higher than Fathers & Suns, (my current 'best' episode of this new run), and say that for me, this was probably the best episode of Series X so far.

I'd give it an 8/10.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i been split so far on all these episode of series X, there is some good stuff but also some underwhelming stuff

18. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I would agree with Entangled being the best Series X episode so far...

Personally for me it goes:

Entangled
    Lemons
    Trojan
    Fathers and Suns

Fathers and Suns, contrary to most was one of my least favourite episodes of Red Dwarf, and felt like a weaker version of Queeg, and the Vending machines annoyed me.

The other three have been brilliant, not perfect, but then no Red Dwarf has ever been without flaw. But yes, Definitly enjoying Red Dwarf X. Given that its stinker episode (Fathers and Suns IMO) was actually not bad really compared to Series 8, and some of series 4.

So far I can't wait for the Series XI announcement!

19. Navior

Navior Skutter

This was a fun episode. I have a full review on my blog.

20. Androidsandbeingasleep

Androidsandbeingasleep Third Technician

Another good episode, although I prefer Lemons and Trojan. The quantum entanglement and soft light/hard light stuff was cool and 'have you got a pen?' was a great line to finish the episode with. Probably give this one a 7/10.