Episode 4 - Entangled

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dodgebizkit, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Someone want to open a thread on tomorrow's episode? :P I opened this thread the day before the airing and got accused of racing to open an episode thread (???) so i'll let someone else be the scapegoat :-D looking forward to dear dave

2. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

in my opinion:
    Trojan - 8/10 - funny, made me laugh more than any other episode
    Fathers and Suns - 7/10 - hated the vending machine part - Pree was a bit Casandra-ey
    Lemons - 8/10 - love the story and the visuals (sets were incredible)
    Entangled - 9/10 - loved almost everything, i like the science aspect

not sure how Rimmer's Light-bee could pass through the stasis door tho? even if he went from hard light to soft light, his light-bee is still a solid physical object

3. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

So far I'll rate them:

Trojan - 7/10 - Forgive me if I missed this plot point, but what exactly did Howard do for 3 million years?? Rimmer was inactive until Lister was 'defrosted', but what about Howard?
    Fathers and Suns - 9/10 - The high rating is almost purely because of the scene with Sr and Jr, which IMO Craig played to perfection
    Lemons - 8/10 - The Marmite episode...I dunno, I just really liked it!
    Entangled - 7/10 - I liked it, but it wasn't that laugh out loud funny *shrugs*

4. omnomnominous

omnomnominous Third Technician

If I'm not mistaken, the quantum rod brought Arnold and Howard together across space and time. Hence why Sim Crawford was aiming to 'start the uprising', one would assume she and Howard are originally from the time period when the simulants first began to go rogue. That was my understanding, anyway. It's certainly kind of a 'blink and you'll miss it' plot point though.

5. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Howard and Crawford were brought through time and space by the quantum rod. To them, they're still in the 23rd century.

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Yeah, the rod works on the principles of interconnectedness so when Rimmer handled it it star-jumped something closely connected to him (his brother) to his point in space and time.

Crawford wanted to use it with the similar idea of bringing together all the disperate simulants in the universe to start an official uprising.

Presumably Kryten is conducting research on it in Entagled with the idea that it might be able to cause Red Dwarf to Starjump back to Earth.

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I did blink and miss that plot point from Trojan, but I did figure it'd be something like that.

In any case, my opinion of the first four episodes:

Trojan - loved it. Some great stuff through the whole episode (for me at least), a good original plot that plays to Rimmer, and a fair bit is actually crammed in. This actually felt longer, to me, than most other Dwarf episodes, but a good sort of longer. I actually think it's one of my favourite episodes ever. 8/10

Fathers & Suns - I dislike the "Lister is his own dad" plot, and disliked much of this by association though it did it's best to use it in a good way. Medi-bot and vending machines annoyed me. The plot with Pree wasn't bad and I'm unsure about her character. A few good laughs though. Maybe 4/10

Lemons - in actuality, a half-decent plot that does things you wouldn't expect. Jesus trying to stop Christianity (and then figuring out it's not Jesus Christ) was good. Very few laughs though, and Rimmer's "this is the high point of my career" line was a bit jarring (what happened to the old snidey Rimmer - is this one too amenable?). 5/10

Entangled - a good, solid plot. Plenty of laughs. Does lots of things. Looks good. And a chimp! What's not to like? Don't think this episode matched Trojan (again, my opinion), but still pretty good. 7/10

8. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

He was in soft light projection mode, then hard light projection mode on the other side so he could interact with objects again. So the light bee would have stayed 'our' side of the door.

9. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Yeah, this "Projection mode" is a function previously unseen. Would have been good if they could have shown this visually somehow, have a cgi lightbee emitting something through the door or something...

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can only come by a low resolution version at present, but this screenshot from the BELF encampment makes a fantastic desktop background.

11. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

8) Thanks!

12. dodgebizkit

Even wth projection mode... objects can pass through a hologram but a hologram, that is to say, light, can't pass through a solid object. It would make sense that Rimmer could pass through a window but be blurry, but not pass through an opaque metal door.

13. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf is one of the kinds of shows that can look past things like this if it's cool (which it really was) or funny which the show often is. I personally like that scene, it's nice to see use being made of Rimmer holographic state and helped make this episode feel like a real 4 hander, every character had something useful to contribute. It's actually part of the reason I loved this episode as much as I did.

14. dodgebizkit

I agree, it is cool when they make use of rimmer being a hologram... Since he became hardlight he's mainly just been another person on the ship. I love it when they remind us that he's a hologram and what it means, just like when they remind us that cat is a Cat and not a human and what that means, too. I really want Rimmer to lose hardlight capability actualy and become reliant on skutters and kryten like he used to, although I know that it annoyed doug and chris as it limited them too much. They could perhaps refer to the hardlight projection belt thing mentioned in Series 6, say that it got damaged so he can be hardlight on red dwarf but softlight offship...

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Indeed red dwarf if the sorta show that can get away with abit of flawed sci fi, and i repeat "abit"!

there has been alot of storys with flawed sci fi but your able to forgive because the writing has been good

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

With Entangled I think the writing was good so I can very easily forgive

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Is there any news about the ratings for this episode? There's nothing on Barb's website.

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I never quite got what the deal was with the hard-light belt. In Legion, it was clear that Rimmer's upgrade was directly to his light-bee. So what's with this extra belt?

I do remember some blurb on the main site which states that the hard-light belt is a projection itself. So are they saying that the upgrade to the light bee projected the belt which in turn gave Rimmer hard-light capability? Isn't that kind of redundant?

It's perhaps telling that the hardlight belt was only ever mentioned in that one episode.